General Categories > Kids and Guns

Outlet for beginning shooting competitions or challenges

<< < (2/4) > >>

Les:

--- Quote from: Jarem08 on February 06, 2017, 03:58:55 PM ---Thank you. I have tried to explain everything to him as best as I can (it is fun trying to answer his questions about ballistics without going into pressures, headspacing, twists, etc  :D). I just didn't know if such a group existed and if so, where. I do want to get him involved in things when He is interested. He is getting pretty good at learning proper cleaning (albeit without chemicals) habits so I will add the solutions later. Right now, watching and even helping me when he can is exciting for him. I love watching his eyes light up when it comes time to pull the rifles out and clean them.

--- End quote ---
You might be surprised at what they can understand, normally they're quicker at picking things up than we think they are.  If he's got an interest he'll pay attention to everything good and bad.  I'm sure you realize but you are the role model.  Works for the fairer sex as well. 

Jarem08:

--- Quote from: Les on February 06, 2017, 05:41:12 PM ---You might be surprised at what they can understand, normally they're quicker at picking things up than we think they are.  If he's got an interest he'll pay attention to everything good and bad.  I'm sure you realize but you are the role model.  Works for the fairer sex as well.

--- End quote ---

I won't argue that! Sometimes he says things that surprise me about what he has learned. The funniest part about our last shooting trip was when he hit the wooden base that we made to hold his targets. The cross beam part of the wood splintered and shot in all kinds of directions. He picked up the biggest three pieces and was proudly carrying them around! He thought it was great that the 22 could do that! It was a good teaching lesson as well.

Les:

--- Quote from: Jarem08 on February 06, 2017, 05:51:14 PM ---I won't argue that! Sometimes he says things that surprise me about what he has learned. The funniest part about our last shooting trip was when he hit the wooden base that we made to hold his targets. The cross beam part of the wood splintered and shot in all kinds of directions. He picked up the biggest three pieces and was proudly carrying them around! He thought it was great that the 22 could do that! It was a good teaching lesson as well.

--- End quote ---
The best part is.....you're doing this together.  Don't lose that. Makes a ton of difference.

Jarem08:

--- Quote from: Les on February 06, 2017, 06:14:09 PM ---The best part is.....you're doing this together.  Don't lose that. Makes a ton of difference.

--- End quote ---

Yes it does. That is one thing that I love to see is his look of pure joy and excitement when he pulls the trigger! He sometimes shoots and says, "Whoa! I got it!" then repeats! It is great. Now he is talking about going hunting with me. I ask him what he wants to hunt and his answer...deer! It is great!

Les:

--- Quote from: Jarem08 on February 06, 2017, 06:25:17 PM ---Yes it does. That is one thing that I love to see is his look of pure joy and excitement when he pulls the trigger! He sometimes shoots and says, "Whoa! I got it!" then repeats! It is great. Now he is talking about going hunting with me. I ask him what he wants to hunt and his answer...deer! It is great!

--- End quote ---
If you got his ear at this age you will have it always, just keep hammering about safety.  Starts young #Alwaysloaded

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version