< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Carrying at sporting events  (Read 1084 times)

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
Carrying at sporting events
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »
I know, this is generally not allowed by state law, but I'm looking for help to make sure I'm not overlooking something in a very specific example.

My children both play select sports (one baseball, the other volleyball) that are not affiliated with any schools in the area (neither one is anywhere near high school age yet).

So, quoting from the law, and bolding the portion that I think applies to my situation:

1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.

I'm thinking I'm ok to carry at their games, so long as 2 things are true.  First, the location isn't posted.  Second, they're not playing at a school (some of the teams in their leagues seem to play either on school baseball fields or school gyms).

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something somewhere else that would make it illegal for me to carry.

Thanks.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Carrying at sporting events
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »
I'm thinking I'm ok to carry at their games, so long as 2 things are true.  First, the location isn't posted.  Second, they're not playing at a school (some of the teams in their leagues seem to play either on school baseball fields or school gyms).

I think you are good with you are saying, but a CCW trainer or a lawyer can better tell you the status.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »
As a CHP instructor I would advise you "okay" under the circumstances you describe

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  Was hoping I wasn't missing something.