< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How do you care for your holsters?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
How do you care for your holsters?
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
 what do you use to care for your nice leather holsters?  I dug out all of my old ones, and a couple of mag pouches have a little green around the brass tension screws.   
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: How do you care for your holsters?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
All I have ever had to do with my Milt Sparks leather is apply a bit of baby powder if it starts to squeak
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:32:49 AM »
I do not have any holsters which are leather that I wear on a regular basis, but I am told that Obernaufs is a great way to keep it clean and supple.

http://www.obenaufs.com/
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
Bob, that's a Matt question.

https://www.midwestleatherworks.com/

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
Just saw this thread.  You really shouldn't have to do much of anything to keep it clean.  Here is the link to the care/cleaning page from my website.
https://www.midwestleatherworks.com/Maintenance.aspx
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
I am fortunate in having one Very Fine Wife and a Whole Household of Very Lovely Daughters.

On various occasions, I've overheard certain conversations about the difficulty of finding a Really, Really Good Bra.   One that fits properly.  Both sides, and all.   (Pls. don't repeat any of this..........  I'm already in Deep Trouble over my enthusiasm for Donald J. You-Know-Who.)

Well, I have come to the conclusion that it's just as difficult--or even much, much moreso--to find a Really, Really Good Handgun Holster.   One that both fits your handgun and also fits your own personal body.   One you can wear all day and forget you're wearing it.   And you can still access and draw your handgun.   And--Oh, Yes--it doesn't mark up your handgun with holster wear.

Which is why anyone who shoots at all eventually winds up with a drawer full of holsters.

And I don't even bother caring for them at all.   Just leave them in the drawer, hoping they'll reproduce......   Maybe come out better next time.  Maybe hybrid holsters, whatever.

As The Donald would say, "So Sad........."

FWIW

sfg
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:30:47 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
 yea, I shot IPSC a long time ago, did pretty good, and won quite a few belt-Holster-mag pouch set ups. like you said,, I used the same ones mostly, and threw the rest in a drawer.. so I went into that drawer  and found a lot of green around the brass screws,, that's mostly what I have to clean off .   
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
Y'know...........

Upon pondering this weighty issue, it seems like (a) good, hard scrubbing with Brasso and a toothbrush on the metal, followed by (b) liberal application of Good Ol' Ordinary Neats Foot Oil on the leather would solve the "green" problem.

Until it pops up again.

The white mold that gets on leather holsters can be readily removed with saddle soap and that same toothbrush, up above.

Until it pops up again.

You'll know that you have a Good Military Buddy when he lends you his personal toothbrush for the above tasks and then doesn't holler when you give it back, dirty.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
My daily carry is a hybrid holster - horse hide and Kydex.  I do absolutely nothing to "care" for it.

Offline farmrboy

• Got Zombies?
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Farmrboy
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Obenaufs is the best I have found for leather care. My motorcycle jacket had been through several rainstorms and was in rough shape. Two coats of Obenaufs, letting it sit in the sun for a day after each application made it feel like new again. I also saved an old saddle that was ready for the dumpster. Great stuff. I bought it on ebay

Sent from my SM-G928R4 using Tapatalk
NRA life member,  reloader since 1980, bullet caster since 2012, on Facebook- senior admin Reloading the Hornady Way, admin-The Reloading Room, Cast Bullets and Bullet Casting, NRA, Reloading Mentors North America

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:48:28 AM »
Obenaufs is the best I have found for leather care. My motorcycle jacket had been through several rainstorms and was in rough shape. Two coats of Obenaufs, letting it sit in the sun for a day after each application made it feel like new again. I also saved an old saddle that was ready for the dumpster. Great stuff. I bought it on ebay

Glad to hear that the Obernaufs is as good as I have been told. If I may ask, why buy it on eBay instead of straight from the company?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:13:07 PM »
Well I run kydex. Rinse it from time to time to get the lent out. I also apply silicone lube to the inside of holsters that will be used for competition.  It is amazing the difference in feel.  This needs to be reapplied every so often. 

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk