< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Iver Johnson  (Read 1629 times)

Offline CrossLinc

• NFOA Full Member
  • Cerakote Firearm Coatings
    • CrossLinc Custom Coatings
Iver Johnson
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:32:34 AM »
I'm looking for a little assistance here. I just recently inherited my grandfather's Iver Johnson .22 revolver. I've been doing some research online, but can't find a whole lot on this gun. I'd like to know what year and model it is. Any help would be appreciated. I've disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled everything and have put just a few rounds through it. It has some trouble advancing the cylinder, but the mechanism is pretty worn.

There is a matching S/N 8894 marking on both the trigger guard and the frame under the handle.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Iver Johnson
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »
Interesting.

Appears to be Safety automatic Standard Model w/external hammer, double-post latching system.

First Model with single-post latching system was made 1894-1895.   So your handgun must be either a Second or Third Model Safety Automatic (No safety; definitely not automatic).

Doesn't have the owl cartouche on the grips.   Grips are wooden, not gutta-percha.

Is the revolver single-action or double action?   (Most likely double-action, but let's check.)

Iver Johnson handguns were used in three prominent assassinations/shootings:  William McKiniley, Theodore Roosevelt, Robert Kennedy.   Kennedy was killed by Sirhan Sirhan's Iver Johnson .22LR.

Iver Johnson handguns originally sold for around $6.   I'll give you $10 right now, w/no complaints about profiteering.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
Dang it old timer! I was going to offer to take it off his hands. ;)
 Beauty. 
I would bet there be a fan page somewhere on the interwebs for these 

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CrossLinc

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
Interesting.

Appears to be Safety automatic Standard Model w/external hammer, double-post latching system.

First Model with single-post latching system was made 1894-1895.   So your handgun must be either a Second or Third Model Safety Automatic (No safety; definitely not automatic).

Doesn't have the owl cartouche on the grips.   Grips are wooden, not gutta-percha.

Is the revolver single-action or double action?   (Most likely double-action, but let's check.)

Iver Johnson handguns were used in three prominent assassinations/shootings:  William McKiniley, Theodore Roosevelt, Robert Kennedy.   Kennedy was killed by Sirhan Sirhan's Iver Johnson .22LR.

Iver Johnson handguns originally sold for around $6.   I'll give you $10 right now, w/no complaints about profiteering.

sfg

I've seen the Safety Automatic as well. It looks like some of the "Supershot 22"'s but it doesn't have that stamped on the side of the barrel. It is single action.

And.... it's not for sale. :D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
That looks very similar to my H&R Premier Auto-Ejector. Probably close to the same vintage, mine dates back to around the 1920's.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
That looks very similar to my H&R Premier Auto-Ejector. Probably close to the same vintage, mine dates back to around the 1920's.
Also very similar to the H&R 999 sportsman vintage early 80's I had stolen out of a pickup many moons ago (Bastards) 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »
Also very similar to the H&R 999 sportsman vintage early 80's I had stolen out of a pickup many moons ago (Bastards) 

Short of the grips it's a carbon copy of the H&R. Or is the H&R a copy of the Iver? They were both founded in the same year...:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
Short of the grips it's a carbon copy of the H&R. Or is the H&R a copy of the Iver? They were both founded in the same year...:)
Totally agree and not sure who copied whom.  Although the H&R wasn't exactly a tack driver unless you were using it to put up barbed wire.   :P  Was the Iver any better?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
That was my first thought, also. looked like yours.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »
hey CrossLinc... gonna Cerakote it?   :D
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline CrossLinc

• NFOA Full Member