< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hoppe's No 9 sure lingers  (Read 1646 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
Hoppe's No 9 sure lingers
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
I cleaned my new revolver this afternoon. And I don't think I'll ever get the smell of Hoppe's No 9 out of my nostrils off my hands or of course the gun. Unless I can replace it with the smell of gunpowder. But I probably wont be able to that until Monday.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Hoppe's No 9 sure lingers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:39:43 PM »
 love that smell. leave a rag soaked in it  in a bowl, and you will never have to be without that smell!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Nebfamman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
That's the smell of freedom!

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
If you shoot a lot it might be forever. If not, it takes a day or 3 and it fades. If you spill it on the carpet, it lasts a great while longer. I have a carpeted gun room in my basement. Ask me how I know.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:10:58 PM by CustomSatellite »

Offline Chris2

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »
I tried to make a air freshener with Hoppys once by putting it a zip loc bag with a old air freshener for a few days.
Didn't work.
Great stuff.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
It's one of my favorite colognes: Eau de Gun Cleaning Solvent.

I read somewhere awhile back that it's a good idea to wear gloves when you clean your guns, especially if you do it very often, because the chemicals soak through your skin and get into your blood and they have some toxicity, even in such small amounts.  And I guess if something is written it's true (especially if it's written on the internet, as Abraham Lincoln has been quoted on the internet as saying).  I don't usually wear gloves though, unless I just want to keep my hands clean, and I don't know if I've ever suffered any toxic effects. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
It's one of my favorite colognes: Eau de Gun Cleaning Solvent.

I read somewhere awhile back that it's a good idea to wear gloves when you clean your guns, especially if you do it very often, because the chemicals soak through your skin and get into your blood and they have some toxicity, even in such small amounts.  And I guess if something is written it's true (especially if it's written on the internet, as Abraham Lincoln has been quoted on the internet as saying).  I don't usually wear gloves though, unless I just want to keep my hands clean, and I don't know if I've ever suffered any toxic effects. 

I have Parkinson's Disease and I can't help but wonder if 50 years of chemical exposure as an auto technician who thought he too tough to use protective gear may have been a poor choice  :(
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I have Parkinson's Disease and I can't help but wonder if 50 years of chemical exposure as an auto technician who thought he too tough to use protective gear may have been a poor choice  :(

same boat  here,,   and I never smoked, but did a hell of a lot of welding. sometimes welding galvanized steel,, would get sick, and just kept doing it
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
I had a cousin who never smoked but died of lung cancer. She worked for Goodyear, and I thought she should have sued.
She actually lived a year longer than doctors expected. In fact it wasn't until the cancer moved to her brain that she died. Then she was gone in a couple days.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »
Living in the Midwest, we assume we have a relatively toxin free atmosphere, but thinking about it, we have chemical exposure in the spring and summer and have little way of mitigating the exposure or effects. I think we are slowly learning just how damaging toxin exposure can be but for some it's too late. I also have little faith in the powers that be to be honest with us about information they do have.