< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Trap guns  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Trap guns
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
I hesitate to ask this, as it might be like the perennial Glock vs 1911 holy wars, but will hope for the best.

My son took up trap this year (he's a freshman).  If he decides he's going to stick with it after this year I'm going to get him a gun of his own.

Does any store in Lincoln have knowledgeable staff when it comes to trap guns?  I'm looking for slightly better than entry level.  Probably in the $700 range.

Based on personal experience I'm leaning towards a Remington 870 trap.  The Cz's seem to be going for quite a bit less, but I don't have experience with them outside of shooting some of their pistols.

I checked DE guns and they don't seem to handle Remington. 

Suggestions? 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Trap guns
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:15 AM »
You need to visit Guns Unlimited...they specialize in trap grade shotguns and equipment. Scheel's has trap guns but I am not sure they have someone to help you decide

Another resource is your local trap clubs Bulletin board for sale items.

Long term I would strongly consider an O/U or Trap single barrel if you can justify the initial cost, as they will last much longer under continuous use.

One gun and done? Browning Citori O/U
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
Thanks Dan, but I don't think buying a Browning is even remotely justifiable in this situation.  I'll talk to GU, but they don't have anything on their web site I would consider buying if I intended to stay married.

Let me stress, this is for my son, who is 15.  He is new to trap shooting.  He has a history of losing interest in activities, like all kids.  I have to be economically realistic in what is reasonable to spend.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
You can use the gun you've already got.   Or borrow.

That is, if you have any kind of a shotgun whatsoever (field or single-barrel break open, etc.), preferably in 12ga. (but a 20ga will work for openers), then you could let your son shoot that shotgun for a season or so to get him started.  Even a side-by-side.

Any shotgun that will put a decent pattern downrange will work for a season to learn beginner trap rules, ropes, and practices.

Then if he sticks with it (which is always subject to the whims of a teenager) by then you'll have something specific in mind and you will have some solid experience in the sport.   Then you can make a good, solid informed purchase.

You will hear all kinds of arguments about fitting the shotgun to the shooter, best starter gun, yada-yada-yada.

And.............Most of what you hear will be more or less true.

Nevertheless, just about any pump, semi-auto, break-open, double, O/O shotgun will break clays.

When he goes for the regionals or nationals, then that's the time to think Krieghoff, Perazzi, or even a Browning Citori, whatever.   And if he gives up the sport, you get your shotgun back.

FWIW,

sfg

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:26:16 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Lots of kids do just fine with field grade shotguns, although adjustable stocks are nice.  I sure wouldn't sink  money into an actual trap gun till you're sure he'll stick with it. 

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
Lots of kids do just fine with field grade shotguns, although adjustable stocks are nice.  I sure wouldn't sink  money into an actual trap gun till you're sure he'll stick with it. 

This is what we're doing.  This season he's shooting my 870 20 gauge.  He's doing ok with it, but every practice I hear from the coaches about how 12 gauge is the one true gauge because it has more shot.    By their argument, 10 gauge would be better because it has even more shot.  Not that it matters, I'm not buying a gun right now regardless.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
i use to hunt bird with a few buddy's back in the day and one of those invited a friend named lewis he had a 410 he was a small kid for his age so dad would not buy him a 12 g .. we went to shoot clays to teach him how to shoot after missing a few said i cant hit any thing with this little gun ... i said let me try . i powdered the clay handed it back and said it works fine .

I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
This is what we're doing.  This season he's shooting my 870 20 gauge.  He's doing ok with it, but every practice I hear from the coaches about how 12 gauge is the one true gauge because it has more shot.    By their argument, 10 gauge would be better because it has even more shot.  Not that it matters, I'm not buying a gun right now regardless.
Yup, just "stick to yer guns"  pun intended.  I always used the thought, if they quit shooting tomorrow would I be able to use it for bird hunting and pocketbook decides all.  Unless of course like Semper Fi Guy says they get into the "upper echelons".  Then "all bets are off"  Ok, do we have a limit on cliches per post?  if so I've more than likely exceeded it.  lol 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:56:44 PM by Les »

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »
My kid started junior high trap a few weeks ago and is using an auto field gun.  Started off averaging in the high teens per 25 16 yarders, and is now around 21 and improving rapidly.  Maybe a dedicated trap gun would get him a couple more hits but it doesn't seem worth it for the first year.  Lots of other kids on the junior team shooting well with Remington and Benelli pump guns.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
My son is in his 4th season shooting trap. The 1st year he shot a borrowed 870 20 gauge. Beat him up to the point that I wasn't sure he would continue. I wound up buying a Rem 1100 Comp Synthetic Trap. $1000 new. This gun comes standard with adjustable comb, screw in chokes, and spring loaded adjustable recoil pad. Being an automatic and the recoil pad makes this gun shoot so smooth that my son says he could shoot all day, even with AA 1250's. Extras that were purchased separately were Briley chokes in improved mod and light full and a TS shell catcher. He shoots in the mid 80's and has a ball.

The gun won't make you shoot better, but a smooth gun will make you want to shoot better. And when they move up to Seniors, they shoot 100 rounds per shoot. Our team right now shoots 300 rounds per week. Lots of kids complaining of sore shoulders.

Hope this helps.

Koz
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »
I don't know much about trap shooting and I'm not good at it.  Last year I decided I wanted to try clays so I spent a *lot* of time shopping for a 12GA.  After a couple of months of looking my list narrowed down to four cost categories:

$300-$400  -  TRi Sporter 28"  (Dicks sporting goods) - Basic semi-auto but does "feel right" in my hands

$500-$600 -  Stoeger M3k - Low end but setup for trap shooting

$1000-$1200 - Remington 1100 Comp Synthetic.  Really felt nice in my hands

$2500 range - Beretta A400 Xcel Multi  - Makes my head spin thinking of that beauty

I ended up with the Sporter from DSG.  I figured it's like the cheap set of clubs I bought for golfing.  If I ever get good enough to where the equipment is holding me back I'll buy a better gun.

That Remington almost got my money even though I was lusting over the Xcel.

So far I don't regret that TRi Silver Eagle Sporter Semi-Automatic.  If you watch Dicks ad's you can find it for under $350.

my 2 cents, FWIW
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »
Ok I'm going to make a couple of generalized statements to start off, I've seen 2 stoeger trap guns fail and would not trust one. Go with a 12 gauge, the amount of shot is not the big thing but to get better you need to shoot a lot, and the shells are generally able to be found for less and the light loads actually kick less out of a 12 than shooting similar from a 20 (= more ability to shoot and less wear and tear on the body also making it easier to shoot more).

Now as to the question of using a field gun or getting a "trap" model shotgun. This is a fair question because as many have said you can break clays with any of them, but when it comes to encouraging youth in school competitive trap I would recommend actually getting a trap gun. Why is the kids compete and basically practice from January to beginning of May,weather changes dramatically and the comb that is parallel with the rib makes for a consistent sight picture, helping them to become more consistent which means they break more clays. Yea it may only be 2 more out of 25 but that can be the difference between a kid enjoying themselves and growing as part of the team or getting fed up and quiting. You can find used BT99's as low as $700 if you have a little patients and shop around. Soon High School season will be ending and many kids will be upgrading (the better and more constant may be getting over unders they can use in college or if graduating using the shotgun money to help pay for college or life in general). Getting a used BT99 or similar through a private sale (not paying a dealers markup) you can purchase a gun that can be resold when he outgrows (moves up to a better or gives up trap and wants a plain field gun). That said I have been hunting for the last 20 + years with a trap gun (over under) and it works great for me for both. Watch the online auction sites and you will be able to find a BT99 under $1000 fairly quickly, a year ago a friend got one for $600 that just needed a new front bead installed (cheap and easy fix).

If you want to get a new gun SKB has a youth trap semi auto available that should have a reasonable price, Browning makes a pump trap model the was around $600 a few years ago don't know where they run now. Remington has tried for years to get into the trap gun business, but have had many failures, but many of their better field guns have been customized into trap models.

Big thing is don't be in a hurry right now, there will be people selling used trap guns at State and often at the Confrence shoot. The big deal is out there, don't make a purchase now in a hurry and need to pass on it later because you spent all the money on a compromise gun now

This is coming from a father that had a daughter compete, her Senoir year when she was getting offered real college athletic scholarships for trap we stepped up and spent way to much money on a new gun, but that is a future concern.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
BILL:

If.........................

after all the discussion, whatever, you do decide to go ahead and buy a trap gun, you might wish to look into the TriStar TT-15 model, which is made in Turkey.   There's a wealth of information available on the TT-15, simply by Googling.  It's an Over/Under, has an adjustable comb and (I believe) and adjustable ventilated sight rib.   Very nice Turkish walnut stock.

It appears to be a lot of value for the money.   Some are listed on Gunbroker.com with adjustable everything:  comb, butt plate, sight rib.   With B-I-N just over $1000.   Same setup in Browning Citori, used, would run around $2500.

There's a wealth of information available on the TT-15, simply by Googling.  Armslist has TriStar Upland Hunter O/U's (no adjustable comb) used for around $500.   However, it's tough to find an Armslist poster who will ship out of state.

Some experienced, knowledgeable shooters who own TriStars have commented very favorably on their quality, utility, and general ability to break clays.   You might pm LeeM of this forum for his opinion.   He has had a Tri-Star O/U for most of last season and could provide his assessment of it.

Many folks start out w/BT99s single-barrel for young HS shooters.   However, if he sticks with the sport, eventually he'll want to shoot doubles.  Can't do doubles with one barrel.   Might be worthwhile to consider an O/U from the getgo.

AAllen comment on Stoeger's is right on the mark.   I bought one out of curiousity.   Neither barrel would shoot where pointed.  Both barrels would not register.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Thank you for your input.

Sounds like I should look for one at the State shoot in May. 

AAllen said that Remington has failed to make inroads into the trap market, is this market inertia or are they in some way flawed?

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
Thank you for your input.

Sounds like I should look for one at the State shoot in May. 

AAllen said that Remington has failed to make inroads into the trap market, is this market inertia or are they in some way flawed?
A bit of both, first they were out of the break action shotgun (the most popular for trap) business for a long time, then when they got back in they got back in they got a lot of guns from other manufacturers that were notnup to the traditional Remington quality, then came freedom group ownership. When you couple that with lots of trap and skeet shooters look for traditional names they just had a lot of failures.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »
I don't know much about trap shooting and I'm not good at it.  Last year I decided I wanted to try clays so I spent a *lot* of time shopping for a 12GA.  After a couple of months of looking my list narrowed down to four cost categories:

$300-$400  -  TRi Sporter 28"  (Dicks sporting goods) - Basic semi-auto but does "feel right" in my hands

$500-$600 -  Stoeger M3k - Low end but setup for trap shooting

$1000-$1200 - Remington 1100 Comp Synthetic.  Really felt nice in my hands

$2500 range - Beretta A400 Xcel Multi  - Makes my head spin thinking of that beauty

I ended up with the Sporter from DSG.  I figured it's like the cheap set of clubs I bought for golfing.  If I ever get good enough to where the equipment is holding me back I'll buy a better gun.

That Remington almost got my money even though I was lusting over the Xcel.

So far I don't regret that TRi Silver Eagle Sporter Semi-Automatic.  If you watch Dicks ad's you can find it for under $350.

my 2 cents, FWIW
Did you mean the m3000 or the m3k? The m3k is actually set up for 3gun where the m3000 is for field.  I love my m3000 it runs what ever I feed it with no issues with a 10 round tube on it.   But it can beat you up. Inertia guns are reliable but recoil is much higher then gas guns.

Kick ez butt pads are nice adders for many guns.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
The M3K is what I was looking at, thinking I could have one 12GA for trying to break clay and for amateur hour at a local 3 gun fun shoot.  :D  But I'm sure my  cheap-o Silver Eagle  will work for that too. 

Sorry, I was under the impression that the M3K would work as a basic trap gun but perhaps it's not a great choice (?) being a  24" barrel  or are there other factors that dictate it as a poor choice for chasing clays?

My list was all semi-auto's because I wanted the option of trying a 3-gun and was hoping to have one 12GA to cover my beginner ambitions.  If I were buying a true trap gun I sure see the advantage of a purpose built O/U
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
The M3K is what I was looking at, thinking I could have one 12GA for trying to break clay and for amateur hour at a local 3 gun fun shoot.  :D  But I'm sure my  cheap-o Silver Eagle  will work for that too. 

Sorry, I was under the impression that the M3K would work as a basic trap gun but perhaps it's not a great choice (?) being a  24" barrel  or are there other factors that dictate it as a poor choice for chasing clays?

My list was all semi-auto's because I wanted the option of trying a 3-gun and was hoping to have one 12GA to cover my beginner ambitions.  If I were buying a true trap gun I sure see the advantage of a purpose built O/U
Your spot on with MK3.  It would make a great clay blaster or a 3gun shotgun.  Just didn't want the op to think that the m3k was meant for trap.  For trap IMO a person should save the cash and go with the m3000. If someone wanted to jump into a more 3gun ready gun the Stoeger is great.  The Breda is even better but double the money. So many options. 

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »
Trap shooters go with longer barrels than the mk3, generally 30" and up. The purpose is it gives a longer sight range making it more actuate at longer ranges. Downside is it is heavy for field hunters and slow for 3 gun folks. Beginner trap shooters usually start with single barrels because they are easy to use and dependable. When shooting in several of the youth competitions there is time limits for the squad and a shooter that is having feed issues etc. With a gun can be a problem.