< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mossberg shockwave  (Read 10437 times)

Offline Beagle

• NFOA Full Member
Mossberg shockwave
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »
Does anyone know if the new mossberg shockwave is legal in nebraska? ... lincoln?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Mossberg shockwave
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
the shockwave is a "firearm" under the NFA rules....however, Nebraska rules use the word "OR" when describing shotguns.  see here:  http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1201

im interested in what others have to say....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
interesting "(10) Short shotgun means a shotgun having a barrel or barrels less than eighteen inches long or an overall length of less than twenty-six inches."

IANAL - but I would assume that this means if either criteria is met then it's a "short shotgun" - since it's a 14" barrel I'd assume this means it fits this description even though it's OAL = 26.37"

Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
Does anyone know if the new mossberg shockwave is legal in nebraska? ... lincoln?
I would say it would have to be legal unless you try to hunt with it because of capacity, I doubt if they sell a plug for it.  lol  If anyone is interested Clint Smith has a video on youtube pertaining to it.  Looks cool but I really have no use for it.  Edit: Had to find it, gotta love Clint. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
I would say it would have to be legal unless you try to hunt with it because of capacity, I doubt if they sell a plug for it.  lol  If anyone is interested Clint Smith has a video on youtube pertaining to it.  Looks cool but I really have no use for it.  Edit: Had to find it, gotta love Clint. 

you make your own plug. all it is, is a stick.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
the shockwave is a "firearm" under the NFA rules....however, Nebraska rules use the word "OR" when describing shotguns.  see here:  http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1201

im interested in what others have to say....

BUT,,  this isn't a shotgun. it may fire shotgun shells. but according to the ATF.  this is not a shotgun, its a firearm, the Ne law says a shotgun must be 16 inches..   wouldn't the feds be the one to determine what the weapon is?
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:38:14 AM »
  BUT,,  this isn't a shotgun. it may fire shotgun shells. but according to the ATF.  this is not a shotgun, its a firearm, the Ne law says a shotgun must be 16 inches..   wouldn't the feds be the one to determine what the weapon is?
Now enter Remington to the fray.  Let the flood gates open, and you're correct it isn't considered a shotgun.   NFA laws make me lol.  http://www.guns.com/2017/04/27/remington-debuts-14-inch-bbl-870-no-tax-stamp-needed-photos/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=590196f604d3012524aeb67f&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »
so these are "pistols" then? because they are not intended to be shouldered ?
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »
so these are "pistols" then? because they are not intended to be shouldered ?

No, it's just a "firearm."

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
Based on the statue below, I would think it would be a handgun as it has a barrel less then 16".

John K

28-1201.

Terms, defined.

For purposes of sections 28-1201 to 28-1212.04, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) Firearm means any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or frame or receiver of any such weapon;

(2) Fugitive from justice means any person who has fled or is fleeing from any peace officer to avoid prosecution or incarceration for a felony;

(3) Handgun means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length or any firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Based on the statue below, I would think it would be a handgun as it has a barrel less then 16".

John K

28-1201.

Terms, defined.

For purposes of sections 28-1201 to 28-1212.04, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) Firearm means any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or frame or receiver of any such weapon;

(2) Fugitive from justice means any person who has fled or is fleeing from any peace officer to avoid prosecution or incarceration for a felony;

(3) Handgun means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length or any firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;
ATF says it's a "firearm" not an sbs and not a pistol.  So far states haven't weighed in as far as I know.  I kinda like that Remington version as long as its based on the tried and true 870. 

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:33 PM »
That's the problem we face when definitions are not consistent. 

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »
That's the problem we face when definitions are not consistent.
Very sadly...true

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »

John K

28-1201.

Terms, defined.

It is not designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand is why feds don't designate, I am sure.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:17:43 PM by Mntnman »

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
To be honest, I think this is a perfect example why firearms laws such as these should not exist in the first place.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »
I looked and was unable to find a definition of a shotgun in Nebraska legal statutes.  Does anyone know where it might be located?

I found the Federal definition and it specifys designed to be fired from the shoulder.

John K

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »
  I think they invented a new class of gun.  this is classified by the ATF as a weapon, not a pistol, rifle or shotgun. they invented a new 4th class that is called a weapon. will have to wait and see what  they decide to do about these.
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Manofmayhem

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Has anyone tried to purchase one yet? I imagine if you went to buy it at your favorite gun store they would let you know if it wasn't legal.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »
I bought a Mossberg T590 with a pistol grip a few years ago at the Offutt AAFES gun counter. I had to show my CHP because is was classified as a pistol. I measured the barrel today, it is 20".
WØCHF

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
If this is legal with a smooth bore, why did the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor ostensibly have to be built with a slightly rifled barrel so as to not be a "shotgun"?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK