< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Attention AR15 pistol owners  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Attention AR15 pistol owners
« on: April 30, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Attention AR15 pistol owners
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
I was wondering the same thing Dan. Thank you for posting.

I now think a pistol is in my near future. 

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »
I've been watching this too. Debating on doing a form 1 or pistol. MAC has a YouTube video pertaining to the brace. Still on the fence.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:33:51 PM »
 Does anyone else think that Trump might be leaning on the ATF just a little bit?

I wonder whats next?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline orion

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
It would be nice if POTUS was raining in the ATF but I don't think so.

Look at what's been happening lately to company's that sell solvent trap components.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:36:03 AM »
It would be nice if POTUS was raining in the ATF but I don't think so.

Look at what's been happening lately to company's that sell solvent trap components.

Whats up with solvent traps? I havnt heard anything about that
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »
   Whats up with solvent traps? I havnt heard anything about that
I don't have a link handy, but they've called for cease and desist from at least 2 manufacturers. 

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
The original marketing of the solvent trap wasn't the problem. The company that started this was preppers discount I believe and they were marketing parts that of themselves were unrelated to suppressors in any form. Although the end result was clear, the ATF was powerless to take any action. The legal responsibility was placed firmly at the feet of the end users should they decide to make the suggested modifications to the parts. Keep in mind that simply being in possession of suppressor parts can be and has been used to prove constructive intent to posess a supressor, although there is no clear line that needs to be crossed. I've been watching this closely over the last few years and knew it would be ending soon because the companies that were selling the parts decided that if selling arbitrary unfinished parts were good, selling finished parts in the form of a ready made kit would be better both financially for them and the end user. Some even advertised sending customers Form 1's for customers to fill out and send in to be approved for their homemade suppressors. The fatal flaw in this action was that individuals are prohibited from possessing suppressor parts prior to the Form 1 being approved. Simply having the finished parts with the clear intent of the end result violates NFA regulations both from a retail standpoint and individual end user standpoint.

Anyone can build their own suppressor following Form 1 approval and many have, but a manufacturer must serialize and Form 2 any and all manufactured firearm and NFA related devices and are prohibited from transferring them to anyone accept other SOT dealers without a Form 4 approval and subsequent stamp issued to the end user. One of the companies ordered to cease was a class 07 manufacturer. Im not sure how they thought they could do this in clear violation of their 07 license requirements. All of these companies overstepped the NFA regs attempting to circumvent the process. It was only a matter of time before the ATF put an end to it.

For the record this information isn't an opinion of mine supporting the ATF but merely explaining what I saw happening and predicting the inevitable outcome.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:34:02 AM by CustomSatellite »

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
Also as to the original post, please keep in mind that as of today the ATF reversal applies to the company addressed in the ruling only, not to any other company that produces arm braces such as the Sig brace. It also forbids you from altering it from its original form which could reclassify the entire firearm as an SBR. Anyone reading the ruling should keep these things in mind. I'd hate to see anyone become a test case.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
Also as to the original post, please keep in mind that as of today the ATF reversal applies to the company addressed in the ruling only, not to any other company that produces arm braces such as the Sig brace.

I'm pretty sure that isn't the case as pointed out in Dan's link here:
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524#comments

As for Trump leaning on the ATF, I think it has more to do with getting ahead of people's attitudes toward firearm declassification. I think they are trying to give a little to quell a passion that might see a lot of regulations get tossed. Make us fight for what we want and we'll probably take even more in the process.

JMHO

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case as pointed out in Dan's link here:
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524#comments

As for Trump leaning on the ATF, I think it has more to do with getting ahead of people's attitudes toward firearm declassification. I think they are trying to give a little to quell a passion that might see a lot of regulations get tossed. Make us fight for what we want and we'll probably take even more in the process.

JMHO

The one thing about the ATF that I know from being in business with them is to never assume anything and a phone conversation with them verifying information is as good as monopoly money. I'm not saying it isn't accurate but I've been down this mole hole with them enough to know better than trust it. Personal letterhead responses from them on issues such as this with an authorized sig is the gold standard. As a dealer, I wouldn't bet my business or my individual freedom on a phone conversation translated by a vendor to the Internet. That company isn't going to pay your legal fees when you get jammed up. I'm sure this will get cleared up soon and my concerns will be for not.

JMHO

Brian

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
The one thing about the ATF that I know from being in business with them is to never assume anything and a phone conversation with them verifying information is as good as monopoly money. I'm not saying it isn't accurate but I've been down this mole hole with them enough to know better than trust it. Personal letterhead responses from them on issues such as this with an authorized sig is the gold standard. As a dealer, I wouldn't bet my business or my individual freedom on a phone conversation translated by a vendor to the Internet. That company isn't going to pay your legal fees when you get jammed up. I'm sure this will get cleared up soon and my concerns will be for not.

JMHO

Brian
Thanks for your input on these subjects. I've done plenty of research on this and I can tell you I'm not willing to be the "test case"

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »
As a dealer, I wouldn't bet my business or my individual freedom on a phone conversation translated by a vendor to the Internet. That company isn't going to pay your legal fees when you get jammed up. I'm sure this will get cleared up soon and my concerns will be for not.

JMHO

Brian

I don't blame you. Hopefully, this will all be clear soon. I will say that even before this, I never worried about a pistol brace coming to rest on my shoulder. While I wouldn't want to be a test case, I am not one that would lay down and take it and I hate to lose.  ;D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
Also as to the original post, please keep in mind that as of today the ATF reversal applies to the company addressed in the ruling only, not to any other company that produces arm braces such as the Sig brace. It also forbids you from altering it from its original form which could reclassify the entire firearm as an SBR. Anyone reading the ruling should keep these things in mind. I'd hate to see anyone become a test case.

The company in question is the maker of the Sig brace.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
The company in question is the maker of the Sig brace.

I apologize for the confusion. I didn't word that correctly. There are others, one being the MFT Battle link that I've been questioned about and my advice is don't do it until the ATF puts it on paper. With the gun industry heading into difficult times because of the relaxed political climate, there will likely be other companies trying to exploit this niche, to survive, marketing unapproved designs putting unsuspecting buyers at risk. I'm not quite the tinfoil hat type but the past 8 years have moved me admittedly in that direction. I'm also all about the 2nd ammendment in its literal interpretation but bad things have happened to good people because of uncharted waters such as this.

I'll give you a for instance. Imagine the suprise when the ATF obtains a court order for customer lists for all of those people buying suppressor kits and letters start showing up in the mail. Simply having your name on such a lIst would be suitable grounds for a search warrant and an unfriendly visit. Chances are good that a portion of those people knew very well that they were violating federal law and didn't care but others were drawn in believing they were legal because the selling vendors said "do it this way."

I can't stress enough that a dice roll on anything scratching the NFA area without paperwork is a really bad idea.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:16:40 AM by CustomSatellite »

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Just an fyi, the ATF did not reverse it's stance on braces, simply clarified the stance.  The position on shouldering braces has been consistent, although was misconstrued by many.