< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha law re: pellet gun shooting in town  (Read 1437 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha law re: pellet gun shooting in town
« on: May 01, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Do I understand Omaha law correctly to say that it is legal to shoot a pellet gun in town as long as the pellet does not leave your property?  Would I be correct in assuming that this applies also to Elkhorn? 

If it is, would shooting a rabbit out of one's garden require a hunting license (even if you don't plan on eating the rabbit)?

If a neighbor gave a person permission to shoot a rabbit even if it was in his yard, would that make it legal to shoot a pellet that went into that neighbor's yard?  (This is probably moot, since a neighbor who gave permission would not be likely to make a complaint.  But it is good to be sure.)

Thanks
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Omaha law re: pellet gun shooting in town
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Check out this previous post on topic.

https://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=11743.0

Thank you for that.  I didn't realize that Omaha actually did allow that.

Can anyone answer the second part of his questions? (I have a similar issue with a rabbit and a couple of squirrels.)  I was under the impression (from way back when) that you had to have a fur bearers permit to hunt them, and it had to be in the fur bearer season.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
Rabbits and squirrels are considered small game so they require a hunting permit and a habitat stamp.  The furbearers permit is for beaver, raccoon, muskrat, etc. You would also need to adhere to the published small game seasons.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »
zz

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
It looks like rabbit season runs from September through February.  But does that hunting season apply to shooting a rabbit to get rid of a destructive pest that would otherwise ruin a garden? 

Squirrells can also be destructive, so can they only be shot during season?

I'm wondering if there is any provision in Nebraska law for this.  If there isn't there should be, since not all small game that is shot is being hunted as game.  I would think it'd be ok to shoot a destructive pest on your own property out of season, like a rancher or farmer shooting a deer or antelope.  But the question is, does Nebraska law make any kind of provision for such a thing.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.