< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Melting point laws?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
Melting point laws?
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
I was looking at a Heritage Rough Rider at a gunsite. This popped up: "*This model does not meet requirements for melting point laws". I tried searching the web but couldn't find anything other than such laws exist in some states.

Does Nebraska have such a law? I hope not.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Melting point laws?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
I did a quick search and from what I found only a few states have them.  The actual language varys by state.  They are targeted at Saturday Night Specials, specifically at ones that use a frame cast out of anything but steel. 

I did not see Nebraska mentioned and do not remember seeing anything related in the Nebraska firearms statues.

John K

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
 I guess there was a rash of people leaving there guns in a car during the summer with the windows up and they melted.   cant have people abusing guns like that, if you see one locked in a car. break the window and give it some air!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
For those that are interested, here are links to the best discussions of Melting Point Laws that I found;

http://www.guncite.com/journals/economic.html

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6828&context=jclc

From what I found only Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New York have melting point laws.

Below is the Minnesota Statue

Minn. Stat. §§ 624.712; 624.716

Saturday Night Specials  (Gross Misdemeanor)
It is a gross misdemeanor for a federally licensed firearms dealer to sell or for any person to manufacture or assemble, in whole or in part, a “Saturday night special” pistol. A “Saturday night special” pistol means any pistol (other than an antique firearm, air gun, or toy gun) that is made of any of the following materials:

< any material having a melting point of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit;
< any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch; or
< any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

John K

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »
I didn't know this sort of law existed. I'm glad Nebraska doesn't have such silliness on the books.

One question I have about this sort law, out of pure curiosity: how are these places able to get polymer firearms (Glock and the like)? Their melting point is far below pot metal.

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
For those that are interested, here are links to the best discussions of Melting Point Laws that I found;

http://www.guncite.com/journals/economic.html

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6828&context=jclc

From what I found only Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New York have melting point laws.

Below is the Minnesota Statue

Minn. Stat. §§ 624.712; 624.716

Saturday Night Specials  (Gross Misdemeanor)
It is a gross misdemeanor for a federally licensed firearms dealer to sell or for any person to manufacture or assemble, in whole or in part, a “Saturday night special” pistol. A “Saturday night special” pistol means any pistol (other than an antique firearm, air gun, or toy gun) that is made of any of the following materials:

< any material having a melting point of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit;
< any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch; or
< any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

John K

What...no Commifornia? The rest are obvious liberal sesspools with the exception of Minnesota who flys just under the liberal sesspool rating, barely, but not for long.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
These kinds of harassment edicts coming from criminal gangs in various statehouses show why it's so important to get as many loyal Americans as possible into the judiciary.  Since a majority of voters can so often be duped into electing crooks that corrupt our laws this is the critical path to restoring the integrity of the Republic.  The liberal cult knows this, and so is on a holy crusade to keep Trump from placing loyal Americans into these positions.  All elected patriots should be supporting Trump in fighting those traitors with every bit of power they can muster.  And those who elected them should be reminding them of this from time to time (nicely of course).
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Merl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
These laws came about in the 18980's when a number of smaller companies in California began making "Saturday night specials".  The quality of the firearm was so bad that the posible injury from one blowing up in your hand caused these laws.  Here is a article about a lawsuit on the companies...

https://www.revealnews.org/article/guns-at-center-of-saturday-night-special-lawsuit-to-be-destroyed/

These laws were intended to insure the safety of the gun owners and not allowing substandard manufacturing..

Also known as the "Ring of Fire" companies here is a little info on them...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/ring/companies.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:02:41 AM by Merl »