< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloaders: What About Synthetic/Polymer-coated Bullets?  (Read 4019 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Reloaders: What About Synthetic/Polymer-coated Bullets?
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
Synthetic/Polymer coatings for lead boolits have been marketed now for coupla years or so.

Syntech and Hi-Tek coatings appear to be the coverings which have caught on.

I've never liked to use lead boolits for a number of (to me) very good reasons, but polycoated lead bullets seem to be an improvement over just plain old waxy-coated lead boolits.

So...........

>How reloadable are they?
>Do they reload differently from plain lead, plated, or fmj bullets?
>What about accuracy?
>Are standard steel/titantium dies used, or special dies?

And whatever else you might wish to share from you own experiences with these critters.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: Reloaders: What About Synthetic/Polymer-coated Bullets?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
Truly the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Advantages over traditional lube lead bullets:

1) Dies stay clean.
2) Guns stay much cleaner.  EASY clean up.  NO leading. 
3) Very little, if any, smoke when firing them.
4) YOU stay cleaner.

Advantages over copper bullets:
1) Cheaper

I can detect no difference in accuracy from standard lead bullets.  My guns run longer in between cleanings as the chamber doesn't get all gunked up as with lead bullets. 

Hitek coated bullets come in a wide array of colors.  This is very helpful in that the reloader can color code his or her loads. 

They are a little more expensive than traditionally lubed lead but cheaper than jacketed or even copper plated bullets.

Cases must be flared a little more when loading them as shaving off the coating when seating the bullets is not a good thing.  A real tight crimp, as in roll crimp, must be approached carefully as it is possible to cut the coating with a tight crimp, which is not good either. 

https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/loading-basics.html

I've run Bayou, Black Bullets International, Acme (which come with a giant rocket and a pair of roller skates with every order), Lucky 13 and Missouri Bullet coated.  All have been good. Just received a shipment of PC Bullets from King Shooters Supply.  They are purple in color. My wife is delighted. :)

Right now, Acme is my favorite.  Neat red color.  They have free shipping now and then.  The orders come in a nice wooden box.  They're located in Wisconsin. 

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/HiTek-Coated-bullets

I won't buy anything but coated bullets now.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:39:56 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
Well, first of all, please allow me to thank you for you quick, clear, and encouraging response.

I'm awaiting delivery of a Ruger LCR in .327FederalMagnum.   And am intending to practice-shoot w/reloaded DEWC .32S&WLongs and then defense-carry w/.327FedMag Hornady/Other SD loads.

Finding on-the-shelf target ammo at low prices is difficult.   In fact, finding anything shootable in this non-mainstream caliber is fairly difficult.   Plus I want to shoot DE wadcutters, and they are not on the shelves.

So....some low-cost Lee loading dies, some MagTech brass, and some Poly-coated DEWCs from online will be needed.   (I have the primers and powders.)

Thanks again for your response and the accompanying encouragement for use of polycoated bullets.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:52:14 AM »
The prices at ACME were quite reasonable. Might have to pick up some for testing. Thanks for the info!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
I concur with Lorimor.  I've used some Gateway, Eggleston, Acme( although I'm not special enough to get the rocket and skates ;), and Blue Bullets.
Blue Bullets are my favorite but Acme is real close second.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »
Later Thought:

I haven't seen any of these polycoated bullets, and have no idea whether the polycoat is thick like a waxy coat or very thin, like a moly coated bullet.  Seems like a thick polycoat would be shaved off by the cartridge case in Die #3.   However, because of its thin coat, a moly coated bullet is loaded just about the same as a plated/jacketed bullet.

So:  Does the bullet-loading-into-the-case/bullet-seating operation (3rd reloading die) differ much from ordinary plated/jacketed bullets?

sfg

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:49:16 PM »
Later Thought:

I haven't seen any of these polycoated bullets, and have no idea whether the polycoat is thick like a waxy coat or very thin, like a moly coated bullet.  Seems like a thick polycoat would be shaved off by the cartridge case in Die #3.   However, because of its thin coat, a moly coated bullet is loaded just about the same as a plated/jacketed bullet.

So:  Does the bullet-loading-into-the-case/bullet-seating operation (3rd reloading die) differ much from ordinary plated/jacketed bullets?

sfg
I don't see much shaving.  Most are undersized in casting to make up for build up or resized after coating.

We use blue bullets and we will be venturing into casting and coating with Hi-tek

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
OK................

So--it appears then that the reloader simply buys the bullets in the desired caliber and then proceeds to load them straight up, as always.

Fair enough.

Woops...........  Wonder where the reloader gets the reloading data.   Just checked out Hodgdon's reloading website.   Lotsa loads, of course.   No mention anywhere of polycoated bullets.

Jeez.......   Get one thing settled, another one pops up.

sfg

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
  well ill jump in for the other side.  I will never use these coated bullets. Ive worked on 2 guns, that had bulged barrels from the coating building up in the barrel.   at least that what it looks like, the barrels had a ring inside that could be felt on the outside, and it was full of the coating
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »
OK................

So--it appears then that the reloader simply buys the bullets in the desired caliber and then proceeds to load them straight up, as always.

Fair enough.

Woops...........  Wonder where the reloader gets the reloading data.   Just checked out Hodgdon's reloading website.   Lotsa loads, of course.   No mention anywhere of polycoated bullets.

Jeez.......   Get one thing settled, another one pops up.

sfg

They are loaded with lead data, will be about 5 -10fps slower is all

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 07:36:43 AM »
They are loaded with lead data, will be about 5 -10fps slower is all.

OK............  got that now and thanks very much, indeed.

Might be a good time to pay attention to what Shooter is saying up above about bulged barrels.   Innovation always carries risks:   Unknown Unknowns

My own tendency is usually to let Other Folks be the Early Adopters of Anything Brannew and then learn what can be learned from carefully watching their experiences, both good and bad.    There are always some of both.

sfg

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
HiTek coating really isn't new.  It's been in use in Australia for over 20 years. 

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/about-our-coatings/

It's not moly and it's not powder coating. 

If it leaves any residue behind in the barrel, I have yet to detect it.  I push a patch through the barrels, after many, many rounds, and the patch comes out clean.  I have to deal with all kinds of leading with standard lubed lead bullets. 

I figure I've run about 10K of coated with no issues. 

I just load using lead bullet data and let it go at that. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
Allright, allready:

I'm gonna go risk $30 and get some .327FedMag Lee reloading dies (generally work very well and less expensive than RCBS, Hornady, etc.) from Graf's.

And some .313 DEWC bullets such as I can find, whether  plated, jacketed, or polycoated.   I'll shoot whatever I can get, since .32 caliber bullets aren't all that popular.   If the bullets are polycoated, I'll report back on the reloading and shooting, whatever.

Anyone who wishes to continue adding to this thread regarding polycoated bullets is welcome to do so.   I'll certainly return back to read any additional postings.

And thanks for the info, commentary, etc.

sfg
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:42:10 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
Follow Up on Immediately Previous Post, Above:

My favorite bullet source, BerrysBullets, doesn't currently produce plated .313 98-100gr DEWC bullets, which would be my preferred projectile for lightly loaded .32S&W Long range practice cartridges.   

So, encouraged by the above discussion and useful information from those respected Forum members, I ordered Hi-Tek coated bullets in a budget-friendly 2000-bullet Target Bundle ($148) from Missouri Bullet [pics down below, if they post]:

.32 Target - Hi-Tek

#HT-313098S
.313 Diameter
.32 H&R Long
98 Grain DEWC-BB
Brinell 12
For Target Work

And loaded them up for shooting in a Ruger LCR .327Federal Magnum revolver.

Loading was pretty straightforward.   Used standard 98gr lead bullet DEWC data, as suggested by abbafandr and Lorimor.

Tried my usual lazyboy caper of skipping the case mouth belling process.   But doing so happened to lightly shave a couple of bullets at the seating die, so I then ran all the cartridge cases through #2 die, as is the righteous, proper, and established reloading practice.   Thereby ending the shaving.

Used low-end starting load of 1.8gr of W231 and Win Small Pistol primers for somewhere around 750fps or so.

Shot like a dream at 21 feet.   Very, very light recoil and outstanding accuracy.   With a barrel just under 2 inches.   Took only a coupla cylinders to blow out the red dot in the center of the target.

So I loaded up about 500 more right quickly and now have a nice inventory to work off at the range.

All the above is in preparation for using the Ruger LCR in .327Federal Magnum as my primary summer EDC gun.

Sometimes, in spite of everything you do, things just work out.

That's about it for now.

sfg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:04:25 AM by SemperFiGuy »