Ammunition & Hand Loading > Cartridge and Shotshell reloading

Reloaders: What About Synthetic/Polymer-coated Bullets?

<< < (3/3)

SemperFiGuy:

--- Quote ---They are loaded with lead data, will be about 5 -10fps slower is all.
--- End quote ---

OK............  got that now and thanks very much, indeed.

Might be a good time to pay attention to what Shooter is saying up above about bulged barrels.   Innovation always carries risks:   Unknown Unknowns

My own tendency is usually to let Other Folks be the Early Adopters of Anything Brannew and then learn what can be learned from carefully watching their experiences, both good and bad.    There are always some of both.

sfg

Lorimor:
HiTek coating really isn't new.  It's been in use in Australia for over 20 years. 

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/about-our-coatings/

It's not moly and it's not powder coating. 

If it leaves any residue behind in the barrel, I have yet to detect it.  I push a patch through the barrels, after many, many rounds, and the patch comes out clean.  I have to deal with all kinds of leading with standard lubed lead bullets. 

I figure I've run about 10K of coated with no issues. 

I just load using lead bullet data and let it go at that. 

SemperFiGuy:
Allright, allready:

I'm gonna go risk $30 and get some .327FedMag Lee reloading dies (generally work very well and less expensive than RCBS, Hornady, etc.) from Graf's.

And some .313 DEWC bullets such as I can find, whether  plated, jacketed, or polycoated.   I'll shoot whatever I can get, since .32 caliber bullets aren't all that popular.   If the bullets are polycoated, I'll report back on the reloading and shooting, whatever.

Anyone who wishes to continue adding to this thread regarding polycoated bullets is welcome to do so.   I'll certainly return back to read any additional postings.

And thanks for the info, commentary, etc.

sfg

SemperFiGuy:
Follow Up on Immediately Previous Post, Above:

My favorite bullet source, BerrysBullets, doesn't currently produce plated .313 98-100gr DEWC bullets, which would be my preferred projectile for lightly loaded .32S&W Long range practice cartridges.   

So, encouraged by the above discussion and useful information from those respected Forum members, I ordered Hi-Tek coated bullets in a budget-friendly 2000-bullet Target Bundle ($148) from Missouri Bullet [pics down below, if they post]:

.32 Target - Hi-Tek
#HT-313098S
.313 Diameter
.32 H&R Long
98 Grain DEWC-BB
Brinell 12
For Target Work

And loaded them up for shooting in a Ruger LCR .327Federal Magnum revolver.

Loading was pretty straightforward.   Used standard 98gr lead bullet DEWC data, as suggested by abbafandr and Lorimor.

Tried my usual lazyboy caper of skipping the case mouth belling process.   But doing so happened to lightly shave a couple of bullets at the seating die, so I then ran all the cartridge cases through #2 die, as is the righteous, proper, and established reloading practice.   Thereby ending the shaving.

Used low-end starting load of 1.8gr of W231 and Win Small Pistol primers for somewhere around 750fps or so.

Shot like a dream at 21 feet.   Very, very light recoil and outstanding accuracy.   With a barrel just under 2 inches.   Took only a coupla cylinders to blow out the red dot in the center of the target.

So I loaded up about 500 more right quickly and now have a nice inventory to work off at the range.

All the above is in preparation for using the Ruger LCR in .327Federal Magnum as my primary summer EDC gun.

Sometimes, in spite of everything you do, things just work out.

That's about it for now.

sfg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version