Ammunition & Hand Loading > Cartridge and Shotshell reloading

Reloaders: What About Synthetic/Polymer-coated Bullets?

<< < (2/3) > >>

SemperFiGuy:
Later Thought:

I haven't seen any of these polycoated bullets, and have no idea whether the polycoat is thick like a waxy coat or very thin, like a moly coated bullet.  Seems like a thick polycoat would be shaved off by the cartridge case in Die #3.   However, because of its thin coat, a moly coated bullet is loaded just about the same as a plated/jacketed bullet.

So:  Does the bullet-loading-into-the-case/bullet-seating operation (3rd reloading die) differ much from ordinary plated/jacketed bullets?

sfg

tstuart34:

--- Quote from: SemperFiGuy on May 17, 2017, 08:41:08 PM ---Later Thought:

I haven't seen any of these polycoated bullets, and have no idea whether the polycoat is thick like a waxy coat or very thin, like a moly coated bullet.  Seems like a thick polycoat would be shaved off by the cartridge case in Die #3.   However, because of its thin coat, a moly coated bullet is loaded just about the same as a plated/jacketed bullet.

So:  Does the bullet-loading-into-the-case/bullet-seating operation (3rd reloading die) differ much from ordinary plated/jacketed bullets?

sfg
--- End quote ---
I don't see much shaving.  Most are undersized in casting to make up for build up or resized after coating.

We use blue bullets and we will be venturing into casting and coating with Hi-tek

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SemperFiGuy:
OK................

So--it appears then that the reloader simply buys the bullets in the desired caliber and then proceeds to load them straight up, as always.

Fair enough.

Woops...........  Wonder where the reloader gets the reloading data.   Just checked out Hodgdon's reloading website.   Lotsa loads, of course.   No mention anywhere of polycoated bullets.

Jeez.......   Get one thing settled, another one pops up.

sfg

shooter:
  well ill jump in for the other side.  I will never use these coated bullets. Ive worked on 2 guns, that had bulged barrels from the coating building up in the barrel.   at least that what it looks like, the barrels had a ring inside that could be felt on the outside, and it was full of the coating

abbafandr:

--- Quote from: SemperFiGuy on May 17, 2017, 09:01:30 PM ---OK................

So--it appears then that the reloader simply buys the bullets in the desired caliber and then proceeds to load them straight up, as always.

Fair enough.

Woops...........  Wonder where the reloader gets the reloading data.   Just checked out Hodgdon's reloading website.   Lotsa loads, of course.   No mention anywhere of polycoated bullets.

Jeez.......   Get one thing settled, another one pops up.

sfg
--- End quote ---

They are loaded with lead data, will be about 5 -10fps slower is all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version