< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hunting Hogs, Some of what I know!  (Read 8846 times)

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Hunting Hogs, Some of what I know!
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
I have personally taken around 6-8 hogs over the last 6 years. I have guided about a dozen or so hunts for hogs in that time as well. Having said that I offer the following information based on my own experiences, observations and conversations with dozens of other hunters, ranchers, guides and outfitters.

Caliber & Shot Placement

As far caliber for hog hunting any cartridge that is adequate for deer or black bear will work for Hogs. From my own personal experience hunting hogs I would not use anything less than a .243 with the heaviest bullet you can buy or reload.

I have shot one hog with a .223. It was a 200 yard shot from an absolutely rock solid rest that I knew I could make. I aimed right behind the right ear using a 67 grain hollow point. I made the shot but it is not something I would ever do again or recommend as I know of too many that have been shot and lost with, in this case, an anemic for the job at hand 22.

Another time I shot one that weighed about 75 pounds at 30 yards. It was a rear quarting shot in the right ribs that angled forward to the left front shoulder. I was using a model 94 in 32 Winchester Special and the bullet shattered the shoulder. The hog ran about 80 yards with two punctured lungs and a broken leg. Almost didn't find that one.

I have seen them shot completely through the heart and lungs with a 30-06 and run so far into thick underbrush that they could not be found. Larger hogs have an "armor plate" of gristle that protects their front shoulders from serious injury when fighting other hogs. Any shot to this area even if it is a complete pass through will seal its self and there will be very little if any blood trail to follow.

Wild hogs, in my opinion, and, if you do not want to risk loosing one, should be shot behind the ear period.

I concur an exception for one that would be turned into a head mount.

It normally cost 2 1/2-3 times as much for a head mount hog than it does for a trophy Whitetail. There is so much more work involved in skinning, tanning and preparing a hogs head for mounting that a deer or bear. Find a taxidermist and get a price before you hunt not after. Make sure to ask for and follow the taxidermists instructions on how he/she wants it delivered. It is your initial preparations that make a good mount what it is. If you don't do what is needed even the best taxidermist can not make a good mount. 

Hunting Wild Hogs

Most shots I have seen or taken have really been well under 100 yards on hogs weighing from 75 to 300 pounds. Yes they can be spotted and stalked in some areas or hunted with dogs. Most hog hunting is done from ground blinds or tree stands near game feeders.

Hunting over feeders does not necessarily make it a "fish in a barrel" shoot either. I have sat at the same feeder morning and night for two days and not seen any hogs or none that were bid enough that I wanted to harvest them. Where I have hunted in Oklahoma the brush is usually so thick you need something to entice them out in the open, like a feeder, or you will see nary a one.

Hog hunters I know that have also taken African Cape Buffalo refer to the wild hogs as a "Poor man's Cape Buffalo". With good reason too, there doesn't seem to be much difference, except size, in eithers temperament and character when wounded.

Skinning & Butchering

Some of you have and most of you haven't. Having done who knows how many here is the down and dirty of it for those that took their hog for meat.

It is called "Bubba Butchering" and it works. Most hog hunting operations do not themselves nor will they allow the normal gutting process one would do to a deer in the field. The harvested hog is trucked back to the meat pole/cold locker and dealt with there.

Hang the beast by its hind legs as you would a deer and skin it down to the neck. Cutting it off there leaves you with a hanging carcass that still has the entrails. Remove the front shoulders and back-straps as you would a deer. Cut off as much meat as you want from the neck and rib areas then cut the hind quarters away from the carcass. Dispose of the single unit of carcass, and entrails where ever the Owner/Outfitter has designated.

Believe me there is nothing inside the body cavity worth going after. "But .. but the tender loins are in there you say!!!

Maybe from a 600-800 pound domestic hog there might be. Take my word for it there is more meat in a double quarter pounder than there is tender loin in a 200 pound wild hog and they are not all that tender either. The tender loins from Mrs Guns 300 pounder hardly enough to feed one person let alone two for one meal. Go for them if you want, your choice, I'm not telling you not too. 

The quarters, straps and stew/sausage meat can then be put in cold storage.   

Table Fare

It should be noted that size is a factor in table fare as well. A boar that has lived in the wild long enough to reach 250 pounds and up does not make very good eating as far as I am concerned.

175-200 pounds is about my limit for a boar. Unlike domestic hogs wild boars have not been castrated and all the years of testosterone coursing through their arteries detrimentally affects the taste. If you don't believe me ask my wife what her 300 pound boar tasted like. It was edible with enough bar-b-que sauce but that was about it. I would much rather shoot a sow than a boar of almost any size.

Where to Hunt

Because they are such a problem one would think that Ranchers and Farmers all over the south and west would be begging for people to come hunt the hogs that infest their properties. A majority of them have come to the realization that they can make some money and rid themselves of a few unwanted pigs at the same time.

Careful research and reference checking can lead to an excellent hunting experience. The ranch in Oklahoma that I hunt and have guided on is one such place. They are only about a 500 mile drive from the Omaha/Lincoln Metro areas. They also have a Lodge/buckhouse with washer/dryer, showers and a complete kitchen that is included in the cost of the hunt.

I'll have to check for price changes, but a number of people "truck/car pooling" and cooking their own meals (bring your own food) could expect to pay around 400 bucks for a decent hunt with a very high probability of success.

The bunk house and hunting areas are particularly suited to those with health and mobility problems as well.

Questions?

Hope this helps and thank Dan for contacting me offline. Dan I'll make this a new post so you can "Sticky" it if you want. And I was happy to do it.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Hunting Hogs, Some of what I know!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:17 AM »
Thanks alot I really appriciate the info and help. MikeW

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
Thanks Tim
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »
In the above article I mentioned an amount of 400 dollars. That is not the cost of the hunt its self. The last I knew it was 200 dollars for an afternoon hunt, one night of lodging and a days hunt the next day for one hog. The 400 dollar figure is an estimate (likely high) that it would cost three people to car pool, split the gas round trip, pay one third of the food, and pay the 200 bucks each to hunt. The better the gas mileage the travel vehicle gets the lower the cost.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »
Good info.  I'm headed out on an Oklahoma hunt the first weekend in March.  The hunt is $300 for two days and two nights and one hog.  Additional hogs are $100 each.

According to the ranch owner, most of the hogs are taken from blinds over feeders at about 40-50 yards.  I'm taking my .223 (67 grain soft points) with a holographic sight for the first day.  If that doesn't yield results, the .30-06 and scope come out for the second day.  A couple of my buddies are taking their bows.  Any suggestions on bow hunting?  A behind-the-ear shot with a bow seems highly unlikely.

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »
Having shot 3 with a bow, I suggest behind the elbow as low in the chest as you dare. The heart sits REAL low in the chest.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
How did it go Mud?
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
How did it go Mud?

Wow!  Old thread.

The hunt was great.  I took my hog with an AR shooting 62 grain 5.56 at about 30 yards.  One shot breaking the spine behind the skull.

Here are a few pics.

Accommodations

My Hog

The Feeder

Immediately Under My Tree Stand

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
You're obviously not married or you have a cool wife.  Nice deco

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »
You're obviously not married or you have a cool wife.  Nice deco

That was the cabin at the ranch where we hunted hogs.  I do have a cool wife though.  :-)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
All the threads are old here.  I have family in OK, so I may have to go get some bacon next year.  Nice shot.  Should I take the .357 rifle or the AK?  If it's close enough, I'll take it with the .357 hand gun.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
I built my 6.8 SPC specifically to go pig hunting but then the trip fell through.  I'll use it for deer this fall but I'm still hoping for a pig hunt.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
Sounds like 20Nickels has the hookup!  NFOA hog hunting trip!

20Nickels, I don't know what the area you're hunting is like.  Hunting over feeders at 30 yards the AR with holo sight was perfect.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
I built my 6.8 SPC specifically to go pig hunting but then the trip fell through.  I'll use it for deer this fall but I'm still hoping for a pig hunt.

When are you going to sell that upper so we can build twin 300 BLKs? I'm going to need you to get the dies so we can crank off rounds assembly line style!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
If I wasn't already invested in 6.8 brass and dies I would definitely be looking at .300 BLK.  6.8 has better ballistics but I like the fact that you can make the 300 brass from .223.  Buying 6.8 brass is expensive.

Edit:

I'll gladly help you build an upper, though.  I like building things, especially things that go boom.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:28:42 PM by bkoenig »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
NFOA hog hunting trip!

i do like this idea.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
Sounds like 20Nickels has the hookup!  NFOA hog hunting trip!

20Nickels, I don't know what the area you're hunting is like.  Hunting over feeders at 30 yards the AR with holo sight was perfect.
Hmm, I'll just dual weild them and see what I have when the smoke clears.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
It's a LONG drive from here but I heard that Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri allows hog hunting on base as long as you don't use centerfire rifles.  My Mossberg 930 with 9 rounds of slugs would be a fun hog killing machine.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
Cancelled this Post.

Missouri Conservation Department no longer encourages Hog Hunting in Missouri.

sfg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:35:17 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »
Hmmm......

*checks his vacation time*