< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB558  (Read 2150 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
LB558
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:43:48 AM »
So what did this do?
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline bennysdad

• NFOA-PAF Lobbyist, NFOA-PAF Website Content
  • NFOA Full Member
  • An Armed Society Is A Polite Society – Robert Hein
Re: LB558
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »
Define the term knife for certain provisions of the criminal code.

Approved by the Governor on May 10, 2017

bill details below:
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/view_bill.php?DocumentID=31575
“In a democracy, citizens are supposed to act as partners in enforcing laws. Those forced to follow rules without being trusted even for a moment are, in fact, slaves.” by Jaron Lanier

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:15 AM »
If I could understand what that was saying I wouldn't have asked. Laws should be written in English so they're understood, not in lawyer so no one else can understand them.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline bennysdad

• NFOA-PAF Lobbyist, NFOA-PAF Website Content
  • NFOA Full Member
  • An Armed Society Is A Polite Society – Robert Hein
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »
They probably do that so that the courts can interpret them and make a ruling on the law. It should be understandably written for a lay person, but it is not.
“In a democracy, citizens are supposed to act as partners in enforcing laws. Those forced to follow rules without being trusted even for a moment are, in fact, slaves.” by Jaron Lanier

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
The words dagger, dirk, and stiletto are commonly used interchangeably to mean more or less the same thing.  I think the definitions should be sharpened up a little (excuse the pun) but no one seems interested in doing that.  I tried years ago when I was writing for knife and gun magazines, but it didn't catch on.  So what point is there in listing all of them?  How about poignards?  Or machetes?  And is a scramasax legal since it wasn't listed?  If not, then why list those others?

It looks to me like a typical tool box has at least a few concealed knives in it, in the form of screwdrivers, and in fact screwdrivers are commonly used as weapons (I would classify them as a stiletto since a stiletto traditionally does not necessarily have a cutting edge).  By the definition given a carpenter hammer is a knife too.  So are we carrying concealed weapons if we have a tool box in our car?  I know guys who just throw tools on the floor of their car; are they illegally carrying weapons? 

This whole thing is all nonsense.  It makes more sense to say that if something capable of inflicting injury is used as a weapon, even in making a threat, it's a weapon.  But the law says citizens have a right to have weapons, so unless and until something is used in an illegal manner, it's ok for us to have it.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »
The intent of this bill was to address some concerns from a NE Supreme Court ruling last year.

The new language is "and which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is capable of producing death or serious bodily injury".  It brings intent back into the equation.  So now I am no longer in violation of the concealed weapons law in Nebraska when take have a steak knife in my lunch box or a filet knife in my tackle box.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
The intent of this bill was to address some concerns from a NE Supreme Court ruling last year.

The new language is "and which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is capable of producing death or serious bodily injury".  It brings intent back into the equation.  So now I am no longer in violation of the concealed weapons law in Nebraska when take have a steak knife in my lunch box or a filet knife in my tackle box.
I'm sure clarification is greatly appreciated Rod.   

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
So now I am no longer in violation of the concealed weapons law in Nebraska when take have a steak knife in my lunch box or a filet knife in my tackle box.

Sadly, I think this is the only thing it did.  This is how you knife law.

http://cjonline.com/news-legislature-state/2013-07-26/knife-regulations-sliced-away-kansas

Starting this month, previously banned blades like dirks, daggers, stilettos and switchblades are now legal for carry in Kansas, thanks to the Legislature's approval of House Bill 2033, which Gov. Sam Brownback signed in April. The Legislature also wiped out a state law restricting blade length to 4 inches.

HB 2033 also prohibits local governments from enforcing any type of knife ordinance, making Kansas one of the most blade-friendly states in the union.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
It's lost on about everyone that knives are "arms". The 2A should extend them the same protections from government as other arms are supposed to have.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:17:03 AM »
So in Kansas I could walk down the street with my hand-and-half sword. Called that because you could theoretically use one hand but its better controlled with two, like most handguns.
-- George Mason