< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PCSing overseas and wanting to take my guns to inlaws  (Read 1850 times)

Offline brandon7219

• Forum Member
PCSing overseas and wanting to take my guns to inlaws
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »
I hope this is the sub-forum for this.

I never thought it would happen being stationed at Offutt in aircraft maintenance for over 7 years, but I got orders to japan last week.... So I can't take any of my guns and ammo with me... yay  >:D  :angry:.

I had two options before I read all the new laws in California where my parents live.   Ammo transfers over 500 rounds have to go through a licensed dealer etc...  And I dont need to burden my dad with all that kind of **** at his age.

My inlaws live in Texas and we are going there this summer and I was wondering on the legalities of bringing all my guns and ammo down through OK and KS.  The guns would be in there own locked cases with no ammo in those cases at all.  And the ammo would be either in ammo cans or spam cans/crates.   We would be transporting everything in the flatbed of our F150 (*covered/locked of course). 

Can anyone give me any other insight on what i should do? 

Info: Active Military,  5 handguns (one being an ak pistol) and 3 rifles (2 mosins and an ak-74), 6k+ rounds of ammo.  going from Nebraska through Kansas, Oklahoma, and ending in Texas.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:41:32 PM by brandon7219 »

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: PCSing overseas and wanting to take my guns to inlaws
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
 Its your stuff. I don't see any problem,

Mabye make some paper so your Inlaws can prove why they have them
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
With the states you list, you should be good to go unless you have any NFA toys  8) then a 5320.20 should be filed with ATF however IANAL.  A call to ATF for clarification might be prudent if you had further questions. 

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
I'm with Shooter, there isn't anything you "need" to do. A letter listing your property left with your in-laws might be a good idea for a number of reasons including insurance, if something happens to your stuff.

There is no reason to call the ATF, nothing you mentioned concerns them. 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
Its your stuff. I don't see any problem,

Mabye make some paper so your Inlaws can prove why they have them
They don't need to prove to anyone why they have them...we have the Second Amendment.  Which laws could they run afoul of in Texas vs Nebraska?