< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NE State Patrol Universal CCW Curriculum  (Read 4317 times)

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
NE State Patrol Universal CCW Curriculum
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
When did this start? 

How did this come about?

Is there a matching student guide or is this it?

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/565f37b0bccf6/CCW%20Instructor%20Universal%20Curriculum.pptx

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: NE State Patrol Universal CCW Curriculum
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »
Here's the list of CHP Forms, as copied from the NE State Patrol website:

===================================================
Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor Forms and Information
Individuals wishing to apply for Concealed Firearm Instructor are welcome to download the following application form and information:

Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor Application Form
Concealed Handgun Permit Curriculum Development Guidelines
Concealed Handgun Permit Curriculum Course Objective Guidelines
Title 272, Nebraska Administrative Code, Chapter 21
Nebraska Revised Statute § 69-2432
Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor Universal Curriculum
=======================================================

Each of these portals contains information except the very last one, which is empty.

It appears that the NE State Patrol has added the last portal in anticipation of filling it with the new CHP Universal Currculum when it is finally approved and issued.   However, clik-ing on the Universal Curriculum portal does not bring up anything.

So far as I know, the universal curriculum is still being worked on.   Might yet take a while, since the CHP Unit has always claimed a heavy backlog of work accompanied by a shortage of staff members.   

[Remember Sgt. Craig Loveless:  In charge of the entire Concealed Handgun Permit program, as a part-time job.   Also in charge of a heavy chunk of lectures at the NSP Academy in Grand Island, training prospective new NSP rookies.   And--Oh, Yes:   A key member of the NSP Tactical Unit, which is constantly engaged in their own training.  Not to mention having to be available to respond to a crisis at the moment of call.]

My guess is that the Universal Curriculum will be posted in that last clik-spot up above when ready, but it might be a while.   My daughter's CHP Instructor Certification required six (6) full months for approval, and she used my CHP curriculum, which had already been approved.

It will be interesting to see what eventually turns up.   In appearance, the new U-C might be very institutional.   When I taught CHP and Omaha Open Carry for the National Safety Council, the official curriculum was very much plain vanilla in format.   Not very sparky.  Lots of information but sorta like reading pages of legal briefs.

We'll see.   Hate to give up my own CHP curriculum.   It took hours and hours and hours to create and at least as many hours afterwards tweaking it for continuing improvement.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:06:29 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
I was able to get the Universal Curriculum portal to open, it is a Power Point presentation with one hundred sixty plus pages.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 06:53:59 AM »
I was able to get the Universal Curriculum portal to open, it is a Power Point presentation with one hundred sixty plus pages.
The link worked for me as well and it is a bit dry from what I have had time to read. I wonder if they will be changing the requirements a bit if there is a provided curriculum. Something to show actual ability to present the content like I have had to do for other training certifications.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
I was able to get the Universal Curriculum portal to open, it is a Power Point presentation with one hundred sixty plus pages

Well, well, well..............

And hmmmm............

Didn't work for me a-tall.   And I tried several times.   I'll go try again, using all the browsers that I can find.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
This was a goal Lt Dahlke wanted to see through before his retirement. CZ and I had discussed this with him last year. It is NOT an attempt, nor requirement to replace current CHP instructors' curriculum.   The idea is an attempt ensure that ALL and the CORRECT information is taught .... even by the "laziest instructor" (my words).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:33:36 AM by bullit »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
Interesting...........

When I went back and clik-ed the Universal Curriculum portal, turns out it put a Download box way at the bottom of the page which I hadn't noticed during the first attempt at opening.

Upon being clik-ed, this Download opened quite nicely and lo!:   All 160 or so PPoints were displayed.

And they get pretty institutional, especially toward the end.   Many PPoints loaded w/lines on lines of close text, no graphics.

No further comment here on the PPoint format or contents.

FWIW, I've not received a single word from anyone at the NSP CHP unit about this new U-C posting.   No email notice, no directions, no nuthin'.

End of commentary.

sfg

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:05:31 AM »
Have any of ya'll read thru it. Even by my standards its a bit messy.  I was going to use it, but just can't bring myself to.  Ima going too ahead and use the curriculum from the place ill be instructing at.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:14:31 AM »
It has NOT been "officialized" (W. Bush word), and still in the creative stages .... another future item will be online RENEWALS

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »
Is there an opportunity for a few of the best instructors to contribute to the new curriculum? I can't help but think that the first try at something new will have many flaws compared to presentations that have been refined steadily over years.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
Who defines "best instructors"?

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:18 PM »
Lol, yet another "Subjective" term.   ::)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
So someone had time to put that together, but not to revise the terribly-worded tests they've used since the beginning? 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 03:26:31 AM »

Aw, C'mon Now.....................

We Know Who We Are.

[Probable mindset of each and every CHP Instructor in the NSP/CHP system.]

Just Sayin'

sfg

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
Found a couple of errors,  I sent them an email so they can update.

I guess we will see what the final released copy is.

Slide 83
The Underlined Heading is - Transportation or possession of machine guns, short rifles, or short shotguns; penalty; exception:
But it has points 1, 2 and 3 of Handgun, or 28-1204
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1203

Slide 84 Says “Revolver”, the statute says “handgun”
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1204

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »
Here's the list of CHP Forms, as copied from the NE State Patrol website:

=
[Remember Sgt. Craig Loveless:  In charge of the entire Concealed Handgun Permit program, as a part-time job.   Also in charge of a heavy chunk of lectures at the NSP Academy in Grand Island, training prospective new NSP rookies.   And--Oh, Yes:   A key member of the NSP Tactical Unit, which is constantly engaged in their own training.  Not to mention having to be available to respond to a crisis at the moment of call.]

sfg

Sgt. Loveless hasn't been running the program for quite some time.  I am sure they are still short staffed.

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
Interesting...........

When I went back and clik-ed the Universal Curriculum portal, turns out it put a Download box way at the bottom of the page which I hadn't noticed during the first attempt at opening.

Upon being clik-ed, this Download opened quite nicely and lo!:   All 160 or so PPoints were displayed.

And they get pretty institutional, especially toward the end.   Many PPoints loaded w/lines on lines of close text, no graphics.

No further comment here on the PPoint format or contents.

FWIW, I've not received a single word from anyone at the NSP CHP unit about this new U-C posting.   No email notice, no directions, no nuthin'.

End of commentary.

sfg

It ensures they cover what the NSP wants to cover.  You can always add to it, and cover post shooting stress / trauma etc.  or whatever topics you feel are important.

Next goal is to read all the slides in mono-tone at an average pace to see what a class time looks like just for my own entertainment.   ;)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Sgt. Loveless hasn't been running the program for quite some time

Entirely correct.

Actually, last I heard, he was Lieutenant Loveless.

And Very Well Deserved,indeed, IMHO.

sfg

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
Found a couple of errors,  I sent them an email so they can update.

I guess we will see what the final released copy is.

Slide 83
The Underlined Heading is - Transportation or possession of machine guns, short rifles, or short shotguns; penalty; exception:
But it has points 1, 2 and 3 of Handgun, or 28-1204
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1203

Slide 84 Says “Revolver”, the statute says “handgun”
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-1204

The first thing I noticed was they call it a CCW permit... and it's not...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
The first thing I noticed was they call it a CCW permit... and it's not...
Seemed to me they copy- pasted from another state?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane