< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Recent Issues when flying with firearms on United  (Read 2333 times)

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Recent Issues when flying with firearms on United
« on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:55 AM »
On one of my recent trips several issues came up regarding traveling with a firearm.

When I have to fly and take a firearm with me, it is packed inside of a hard case (pelican style) with two padlocks that only I have the key to.  Short of taking a saw or bolt cutters to it there is no way to get into the case.

When I arrived at one of my stops, someone had installed a large zip-tie around the case further preventing it from being opened.

When I was departing, after declaring the firearm and signing the declaration that it was unloaded the gate agent requested that I demonstrate that the firearm was unloaded.  She only backed down when I asked her to verify that she wanted me to remove the gun from the case within the airport.

Upon my return, I contacted United asking about these incidents and their response is below,

John K

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

I am sorry for any confusion regarding traveling with your firearm.

After reviewing the link below, I did not see any information regarding a zip tie around your case.  Because of the incidents occurring around our world, security is changing everyday, for our own safety.  Although it sounds like a good solution to the horrible incident that happened in the airport baggage area, I could not find a change in policy showing that this is what is done now.  Possibly it is a case by case handling.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

If you would like further information you may contact the TSA at the link below that I have provided:

https://www.tsa.gov/

As far as the ticket agent, we do take complaints of this nature very seriously and your comments will be used to provide additional training to our agents.

Your understanding is appreciated.

Regards,

Judy Smith
Customer Care
Case:12285512

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Recent Issues when flying with firearms on United
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »
I had read that Delta Airlines was putting zip ties around firearm cases to prevent easy access. This was in response to the airport shooting in Florida. It's basically a feel good, little effect, policy. If it's my intent to create mayhem at my destination airport, I'll simply pack a knife in my checked bag to cut off the zip tie.

I have yet to fly with a firearm. Don't know that I ever will.

I'm surprised TSA didn't ask you to open your gun case. They like to make sure it's packed properly and they greatly dislike not being able to open luggage. Firearm cases frequently set off their bomb detection sensors due to residue from the range or firearm. They like to be sure there is nothing in there that may detonate. I do appreciate that effort. I don't think there will be anymore hijackings but bombs on airplanes do worry me.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
From my experience less then half the time TSA will request the keys so they can look
According to the TSA website the case is required to be locked with locks that only you have the key for.

As for the explosive screening, I have gone directly from the range where I was handling explosives and blowing up items to the airport, been selected to screening, been tested for explosive residue and passed without issue.

TSA screening is mostly security theater designed to make it look good.

John K

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Can't argue with that  ;D

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
The last time we flew, it was into Atlanta. Delta is just about the only economical choice in that city. I had heard they were zip-tying luggage after attaching a special tag to them indicating they needed "special handling." It's against federal law to mark a bag as containing a firearm, by-the-way.

I packed a pair of snips in an outside pocket of my bag, so when they handed me the bag, I took out the snips, cut the zip-tie and left it on the floor in front of them. It was my way of protesting, I guess. We had three bags that had firearms in them and we did it with all of them.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
 I think those wire ties are a pretty good idea. just to make sure. but the same with gun shows, you have to plastic tie them, but I keep a pair of fingernail clippers to cut them with
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
I think those wire ties are a pretty good idea. just to make sure. but the same with gun shows, you have to plastic tie them, but I keep a pair of fingernail clippers to cut them with

I'm just curious, what do they make sure of?

That everyone who sees your bag knows there's a gun in it? Yes.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:48:23 PM »
I have had multiple  ways, counter help checked it, or they asked me to wait for TSA to check it, or TSA has their own manned screening area and they ran it through an xray before it went onto the general conveyor, since my goal is flying, I have no problem with any of those, no one has ever freaked out when I show the empty gun to the counter person.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger