< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What's that bump?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline arortmeier

• Forum Member
What's that bump?
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
I've have received my CCW within the last year and am getting comfortable with carrying. Well, maybe not comfortable but I feel that I have my permit and train to carry so I should do so. I now feel relatively naked when I'm not carrying so I suppose that is some semblance of comfortable (in a situationally aware sort of way).

My question to you folks that have been carrying for a while - have you ever been asked by anyone (store worker, waitress, random person) what that bump/lump/etc. is under your shirt? And how did you or would you respond?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: What's that bump?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
I've have received my CCW within the last year and am getting comfortable with carrying. Well, maybe not comfortable but I feel that I have my permit and train to carry so I should do so. I now feel relatively naked when I'm not carrying so I suppose that is some semblance of comfortable (in a situationally aware sort of way).

My question to you folks that have been carrying for a while - have you ever been asked by anyone (store worker, waitress, random person) what that bump/lump/etc. is under your shirt? And how did you or would you respond?

i think most people who are new or just starting CC-ing feel the same way.  its natural.  just make sure you are CC-ing in the legal places and you'll get over it in time.  i remember wearing an empty holster around the house/driving/etc to break it in and to see what it will feel like when carrying.  i then starting carrying around the house until i figured out how it felt and if my pants would stay up.  (use a good belt.)  finally, using a bathroom while carrying especially in a public place, is a new experience.

if someone asks, its none of their business, unless they are a police officer, etc.  but i'm no lawyer, YMMV.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »
I've never been asked.  If someone notices, it could be a phone holster...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:27 PM »
I use a Sneaky Pete holster. The only people who have ever commented are folks who also carry and know what it is. I have never been challenged by anyone. I wear it everywhere, empty in places where concealed carry is not permitted, and absolutely nobody has ever challenged me, including law enforcement.
WØCHF

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »
I respond with a question back like "Why are you so fat?"

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »
Here's a Whole Thread on this very topic:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/ccw-at-grocery-store-story-kind-of-funny.802733/
======================================================================
Then there's always that famous quote by Mae West:

"Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me??"

[If you don't know who Mae West is/was, ask Bullit.]

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
I've been carrying nearly every day for about seven years and have never had a stranger ask me about a "bump." 

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
I just say.... "It's a Tumor"   ... in a poor Arnold Schwarzenegger - Kindergarten Cop Movie - impression.

But seriously, the one time I was asked, I casually responded oh...it's a multi-tool
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
i was asked one time if i was a cop ... i just replied no and kept walking.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »
Not sure it's ever been noticed, but no one has ever asked.   8)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »
Choosing  right holster carry position and clothing really eliminates the bump. I have never been asked.   

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline bship15

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »
I just say.... "It's a Tumor"   ... in a poor Arnold Schwarzenegger - Kindergarten Cop Movie - impression.

But seriously, the one time I was asked, I casually responded oh...it's a multi-tool
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so perfect

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
How about this answer: no hablo ingles...

Or this: I only answer to Allah you filthy infidel, and I am here to do his will!  (Well maybe not this one)

Or this: it's an ostomy bag, want to see it?

I've been carrying since shortly after the state of Nebraska decided to obey the law (more or less) and allow it, and no one has ever mentioned anything to me about it.

When I go to a gym I leave my gun and extra ammo locked in my car but leave the holster on my belt, and after years of doing that no one has ever commented on the empty holster.  I always try to keep a low profile just as a habit, so maybe no one has ever noticed it.  But if they did it wouldn't be a big deal since it isn't illegal.  I have never been to (or even seen) a gym with a no guns sign (and if I did I would not go to that gym), but it just makes more sense to me to leave my gun in the car instead of locking it in the locker.  I remember a uniformed police officer at one gym I used to go to always locked his gun in his locker, and when he did I remembered once when I locked a key to my lock in the locker I went to the desk and told them about it and they came back with a big set of bolt cutters and cut the lock off for me, just assuming I was telling them the truth.  So I prefer to leave my gun locked in my car.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
Never been asked....

And the Fallbrook YMCA is posted, but it's also attached to a school so that may be why...  I don't know about the other Ys in Lincoln.
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:51 PM »
Cooper Y is also posted
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »
Never been asked.  Baggy clothes are your friend.  8)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »
Never been asked, I carry at 4:30 position with a leather crossbreed holster so it hides really good.  My problem is now that I've lost 65 lbs I hate wearing shirts not tucked but there is no other choice for IWB holsters.    If you know of one please let me know!
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:50 PM »
I wear a Silent Thunder by Garrett.  They are kidex lined with leather (screw adjustable for tightness).  I like that because you can not hear the pistol being drawn from the holster (attracting
attention) also the leather protects the finish.  Google their site.  I have worn the same holster with my shirt tucked and untucked.  Being 5"4" I like my shirt tucked because worn outside it makes me look even shorter.  No problem in fall and winter, but in summer I can wear a loose shirt tucked.  I should be at the Gretna breakfast on Jul 1st if you want to see it.  I prefer the tuckable loops (leather) as they are even less obvious.
Garrett link:  http://www.giholsters.com/category-s/361.htm

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 06:21:55 PM »
Never been asked, I carry at 4:30 position with a leather crossbreed holster so it hides really good.  My problem is now that I've lost 65 lbs I hate wearing shirts not tucked but there is no other choice for IWB holsters.    If you know of one please let me know!
I wear the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 and it is a IWB that allows me to tuck my shirt in and still carry. I just blouse my shirt a bit and the gun disappears. just saw that they have a new holster, now I need to take a look at their new holster.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:26:12 PM by Mali »
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
OH, and to keep this thread on track, the only time anyone has ever noticed is when I went in and spent about 3 hours in a wine bar with an empty holster and no cover. The only person to say something was another CCW holder who just happened to see my mag carrier that I forgot to take off so he looked for the gun.  ;)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan