< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The cruiser video of a CHP holder being shot for carrying.  (Read 798 times)

Offline Tj

• NFOA Full Member

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: The cruiser video of a CHP holder being shot for carrying.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »
i watched that video the other day . it shows nothing. all you hear is the driver say he a gun, the officer say ok , then say don't touch the gun.. then him screaming don't touch the gun then shooting...

would like to know if there is a body cam video that shows more??
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »
i watched that video the other day . it shows nothing. all you hear is the driver say he a gun, the officer say ok , then say don't touch the gun.. then him screaming don't touch the gun then shooting...
I watched the same video. If I remember correctly, the officer did not have a body camera. The only significant information comes from the sound track. Initially, the officer seems comfortable with Castile's being legally armed. Then, the tone of his voice changes to alarm followed by panic. Unless the officer was already lying during the incident, Castile did something consistent with drawing his gun and was shot for it. We don't know what that was. Maybe, he was reaching for his wallet and the officer thought it was his gun. Maybe, his gun fell out of his pocket and he grabbed for it.

If I found myself in Castile's position, I would tell the officer exactly where my gun was located. If compliance with his orders required reaching anywhere near it, I would warn him about that and seek confirmation that he wanted me to proceed anyway.

Misinterpretations of behavior can have fatal consequences. Gary Young's class on the law of use of force had two examples. One was the shooting of Amadou Diallo in New York. He ran from a group of strange men who chased him. His pursuers were plain clothes police who thought he was a rape suspect trying to escape. When he pulled out his wallet, they thought it was a gun and shot him to death. It didn't help that one of the officers tripped and fell which led the others to believe he had been shot. The other example was a man who returned home to find two strangers inside. When they approached him aggressively, he shot both. It turned out they were delivering a washer and dryer after normal business hours at his wife's insistence. (I suspect their aggression stemmed from annoyance at being made to work late.) Both incidents were bad shootings in the sense that innocent people died. But they resulted from mistakes rather than criminal intent. The shooters jumped to incorrect conclusions at the beginning and misinterpreted the victims' subsequent actions as confirmation of those conclusions.

The law does not require your decisions to be infallible. It requires them to be reasonable given the information you had at the time. You are not required to consider that something isn't what it appears to be. If a mugger sticks a gun in your face, that it might be defective or unloaded or he wouldn't shoot is irrelevant.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
There is a video from inside the car the girlfriend was recording.  I don't have the link handy. I didn't think she helped the situation......at all.   :(

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »
There is a video from inside the car the girlfriend was recording.  I don't have the link handy. I didn't think she helped the situation......at all.   :(
I thought the video started just after the shooting but it's been awhile....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »
Yes it starts with the officer still holding Castillo at gunpoint while he is in the driver's seat, already fading from being shot.  It's not real helpful, as she just talks constantly and there is no proof either way of what happened. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
Yes it starts with the officer still holding Castillo at gunpoint while he is in the driver's seat, already fading from being shot.  It's not real helpful, as she just talks constantly and there is no proof either way of what happened.
That's what I thought.  If they used her as a witness I'm sure it hurts the case

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk