< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed Carry in Omaha  (Read 3759 times)

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
Concealed Carry in Omaha
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »
I'm trying to get a percentage of how much of Omaha actually conceal carries on a daily basis.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Concealed Carry in Omaha
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
If you want a representative sample you won't get it on this site.  It would be like trying to find out what percent of the population opposes racism by taking a survey on a civil rights site.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
I am not in Omaha every day but I carry 100% of the time I am in the greater Omaha area
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
I go to Omaha, maybe once a week.. and never go east of 108 st, well sometimes to tractor supply on 82 and L, but that's it, I carry all those times, 
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
I carry even if i am just taking the dog for a walk and i live in west O . if a shop has a no guns allowed i don't go in and i will find what i want in another shop or on line ...
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
I'm trying to get a percentage of how much of Omaha actually conceal carries on a daily basis.

I'm not sure how you would find that information.  I have seen estimates from folks I trust that about 20% of permit holders carry on a regular basis.  That was supported recently in a survey I saw that showed 25%.  I believe that is a high estimate.  Honestly, I believe it is more like 10-15% of permit holders that carry every day.   

You are asking about Omaha. There is no way to know how many Nebraska permit holders are in Omaha.  We can estimate based on the percentage of the state population, but how accurate would that be.  We then are blindly accepting a broader estimate of 20 or 25% of those to get an actual number.

I don't understand the poll you posted.  All you are collecting is the audience opinion, which is not the same as what folks have been responding with.  Maybe I misread the poll.   I carry 100% of the time, but I answered 25% to your question base on how I read it.

Offline Merl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »

I agree with Rod, the poll is misleading.  I carry everyday but not in Omaha as I live in Cass County so if I am in Omaha maybe twice a month I carry 100% of the time I am in Omaha, but if your looking for numbers to put against Omaha Ordinances then seeing how I am only in Omaha twice a month it could not be considered 100% if you understand my point.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
For what it's worth, I don't live in Omaha but when I'm there I carry 100% of the time.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline ScottC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:24 PM »
Ditto for me - like HuskerXDM

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
I live in Omaha and I carry 100% of the time!!
WØCHF

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:36:10 AM »
Live and work in Omaha.  Work is posted no conceal carry, but has armed guards in the lobby.

Parking is not close, and I'm not comfortable leaving my gun in the truck all day when it's a distance away.  So, I carry next best thing.  Quick open knife in my pants pocket.

So, unfortunately, M-F, I'm typically unarmed because of work.  If I have time to run home after work to change clothes, I'll put my gun on. Weekends, unless I've got kids sports that are forcing me to be disarmed, I've got it on me.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:01:25 PM »
I'm not going to speak for Chris Z, so he can chime in if he remembers the conversation differently, but I recall talking with him at the NFOA day at the legislature a year or two ago and I think we both agreed that somewhere between 90-95% of students who come through our respective classes don't carry on a regular basis.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline ClearCreek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 10:16:55 AM »
I’ve heard of Omaha, but have no insights into CCW there. Where I am I carry 100%. Always have.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 04:45:23 PM »
CLEARCREEK:

Heck, out there in God's Country you can still drive your pickup around all day with the long guns slung across the rear window. 

And you don't even ever have to lock up your truck when you go into the coffee shop, either.

Whoever located Omaha at the far east end of a very big state did us gunfolks a real disservice.  Shoulda stuck Omaha right in the middle so there'd be places to shoot and hunt in every direction.

I'd say move Omaha to North Platte, but then those folks would hunt me down.

Now.... FWIW, i live in Omaha--obviously--and check for four (4) items when leaving the house:

>Car keys
>Cell phone
>Wallet
>Social Security (and NOT that card-with-a-number thingie, either.)

This list gets somewhat truncated if I am headed for certain restricted destinations.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline npgriff

• NFOA Board of Directors
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 06:30:13 PM »
I carry daily but not continuously.  My shop is in a colorful part of Omaha (16th and Manderson St., North Omaha for you westerners) and I always carry there although I have never had any trouble at the shop.  Traveling to and from has been a little more unsettling.  The summer of 2020 was a little bit nerve wracking in some of the area that I pass through I participate in several activities that because of the wonderful restrictions we have here in Omaha I cannot carry during those activities.  I always have a weapon available in my truck, properly locked away when I am not there.