< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Notary for CCW  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Notary for CCW
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
After filling out my renewal form I was required, per the instructions, to get the form notarized. I went to my bank and had a notary check my drivers license then stamp my form. Then I went over to Troop A in Omaha and the attendant again looked at my drivers license. What purpose is served by us having to get our renewal notarized?

On the plus side, the person that processed my renewal at Troop A was friendly and professional. The whole process there probably took less than 5 minutes.

For those interested I'll try to remember to post how long it takes to get my new permit.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Notary for CCW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
This was one of the slow down steps the legislature concocted to keep people from getting permits.  Their stated goal was to make sure the person applying was the same person that presented the application to the State Patrol.  If they could have added more steps they would have. (I know, you would think that was what the fingerprints were for, but those are for checking criminal history, not identity.)

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
i find the whole get it notarized a  ... make us jump thru hoops etc to get our ccw card a waste of time. it serves no purpose IMO like you said they ask for your ID at the window any ways ... if all they want to do is prove that the person that is applying is the person that filled out and "signed" the form... and that is all a notary check dose.
IMO they should just ask us to sign the form at the counter ..
but like any state run office they have to make it as hard as they can  ;D
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
Okay, so it's not just me  :D

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
At the end of the CHP class, Chris Zeeb notarized everyone's application. I suspect that's why he maintains his commission.

Offline penname

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
I recently renewed mine at Troop A in Omaha, signed the application at the counter, and they notarized it for me.

Had the same great renewal experience. My wife renewed at the same time and we were both processed rapidly and efficiently. We went in on a Monday before noon and got the renewal cards that Saturday.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
IIRC The Lincoln office will notarize it for you right there, too.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
I recently renewed mine at Troop A in Omaha, signed the application at the counter, and they notarized it for me.

Had the same great renewal experience. My wife renewed at the same time and we were both processed rapidly and efficiently. We went in on a Monday before noon and got the renewal cards that Saturday.

Is this a new service? It would be nice if it was.  It took and 7 calendar days for me to get  mine back.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
IIRC The Lincoln office will notarize it for you right there, too.

Yep.  Back in the day they made sure to let you know that they *may* not have a notary present (like any state office doesn't have several) but now they're pretty free with the notary stamp. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 10:06:12 AM »
when i got mine i was told at troop A Omaha that they DID NOT do notary way back in 6/10/2013 i asked. i was even told my bank would most likely do it for free from the lady at the counter ..  so it's nice to see they do now ... as i can get my renewal paper filled out and turn it in with out having to drive to my bank and back.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
Got my renewal yesterday. Not bad, went there on Monday around 11am and got it in the mail Friday  :D