< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I love the Ruger 10/22  (Read 8246 times)

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Re: I love the Ruger 10/22
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:37 PM »
I'd love to love the Ruger 10/22, but I hate mine.   :(

I bought it about 10 years ago, and have probably less than 200 rounds through it.

Can't get it to feed or extract over 50% of the time. Swapped in a Volquartsen extractor and it made about a 5% improvement. I've tried about 8 different types of ammo, makes no difference.

It just hangs on the wall, collecting dust.

Oh well, my Marlins seem to work just fine.

That sucks.  When I first bought mine I had a similar problem.  I also have had a feed problem with EVERY Ruger magazine. 

For the magazine problem, I had to disassemble each magazine, clean, reassemble and rewind the spring.  Fixed that issue.  I don't know why it fixed it.  I don't know why all the actual Ruger 10 rounds mags had the problem in the first place.

For the first problem I just really soaked the action in Hoppes and let it sit up side down so the Hoppes could work on it.  Then wiped it off and put a very, very light coat of remoil on it and wiped that off and reassembled.  Haven't had a hiccup since.

Only thing I could figure was factory oil had sat in it and stiffened.

As far as cleaning from the muzzle end, I have .22 bolt action Cooey repeater 60 that has been in the family since before I was born and it has never been cleaned from anywhere except muzzle end and still shoots straight.  Same with the Winchester 74 semi auto made in 1939. 

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
I've always been an old Marlin 60 guy; outta the box rack, hands down quite possibly most accurate .22 on the market.  BUT years ago, I acquired a 10/22 in helping out a family member tight on funds. It then got picked for Appleseed duty (after 500 rounds of A2 .223/5.56 beat me up + whatever y son shot).  If you like tinkering, tweeking, hanging parts, the Ruger is a blast!

See HemiGirl's thread posted yesterday for 2017 Project Appleseeds scheduled thus far. 
https://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,16360.msg115255/topicseen.html#msg115255
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:07:02 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »
In regards to cleaning, I use a bore snake after each range session.  Leading happens faster with some ammo.  Wolf leaves the bore fairly clean while Remington Target will lead up in as few as 100 rounds.

For occasional lead removal with a brush and rod you can drill a hole in the heal of the receiver.   Ruger should have incorporated this into their design but it's an easy mod.

Removing the action from the stock still sucks so brushing the bore happens whenever the bolt needs to be removed for cleaning.

Offline OleSharky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
Bought my 10/22 in 1965.  It has never had an issue of any kind.  Fun little rifle!