< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Knife laws  (Read 31367 times)

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Knife laws
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
So http://www.knivesplus.com/kabarknifeka-1477cb.html  isn't a knife?  2 5/16" blade

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:48 PM »
So http://www.knivesplus.com/kabarknifeka-1477cb.html  isn't a knife?  2 5/16" blade

IANAL but I would call that a tactical toothpick :P
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »
IANAL but I would call that a tactical toothpick :P

Haha, I like it

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
So, according to the statute ...

... any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his person such as a... bowie knife, dirk or knife with a dirk blade attachment ... or any other deadly weapon commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

Is there a definition for "about his person"?

How would one go about transporting a knife home from the store without having it "about his person"?

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »
I usually carry my Buck Special or another fixed blade knife openly on my belt (in Bellevue and Omaha), but I won't take it into places where I think people might freak out (like WAL*MART, even though they sell them), or a bar, or places that don't allow weapons. Surprisingly most people don't look twice at it (or at all) most of the time.

Be aware that in Iowa the knife laws are even sketchier (no blade more than 5" unless hunting or fishing at the time, so no Buck Special...), and in Council Bluffs you can't have a blade more than 2.5" if I recall correctly.

As far as switchblades go, I have a very nice assisted opening knife that I won't carry just because it would probably be considered a switchblade, and cops usually frown on them whether they are legal in your area or not. I see a lot of people carry them though...

Most places in Nebraska though as long as you have a blade that is demonstrably under 3 1/2" (concealed or openly carried) - and keep in mind a judge would likely count the part that isn't sharpened - it isn't even considered a knife by law so go for it.

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »
So, according to the statute ...

Is there a definition for "about his person"?

How would one go about transporting a knife home from the store without having it "about his person"?

Keep it in the plastic package if it came in one, otherwise put it in the trunk I guess... ? Personally I put them on my belt in plain view so it isn't "concealed". ;)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
Keep it in the plastic package if it came in one, otherwise put it in the trunk I guess... ? Personally I put them on my belt in plain view so it isn't "concealed". ;)

But if it's inside a plastic bag or box, wouldn't it be concealed?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »
not if you don't have it within arms reach i would presume. 
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.