< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Permit transition from another state without gaps  (Read 2369 times)

Offline bobtbuilder

• Post approval required
Permit transition from another state without gaps
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Hey all, getting prepared to move to NE soon.

I am hoping I can have as little of a gap in my concealed carry permit as possible.

A few things I have come up with so far:

1. Take a vacation to NE and take the training course in advance of moving (I'm in NE a lot, this will be no problem)
2. Have all other paperwork in order to apply on the day I move

My problem is, as soon as I get a NE driver's license (likely my first stop in applying), my current permit is invalidated by my state's laws.  Hopefully, this will still get me the exemption from the 180 days waiting period.

Do I need to pick up a non-resident permit that is recognized in NE to fill the gap?  I know Nebraska says that you must have a NE permit if you are a resident of NE, but it also says that you must live in NE for 180 days to be considered a resident.  So the Utah permit could fill the gap since they only require having a license from your own state when you apply (which I do currently) and it doesn't appear to be invalidated if you move.

Has anyone done this recently?  Any tips?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Permit transition from another state without gaps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
For an informed answer to this inquiry, you might consider directly contacting the Nebraska State Patrol:

https://tinyurl.com/ybqas42u

Link has always provided timely and clear responses to concealed handgun permit questions in the past.   The response has always been from a staff attorney employed by the NSP.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Merl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
Hey all, getting prepared to move to NE soon.

I am hoping I can have as little of a gap in my concealed carry permit as possible.

A few things I have come up with so far:

1. Take a vacation to NE and take the training course in advance of moving (I'm in NE a lot, this will be no problem)
2. Have all other paperwork in order to apply on the day I move

My problem is, as soon as I get a NE driver's license (likely my first stop in applying), my current permit is invalidated by my state's laws.  Hopefully, this will still get me the exemption from the 180 days waiting period.

Do I need to pick up a non-resident permit that is recognized in NE to fill the gap?  I know Nebraska says that you must have a NE permit if you are a resident of NE, but it also says that you must live in NE for 180 days to be considered a resident.  So the Utah permit could fill the gap since they only require having a license from your own state when you apply (which I do currently) and it doesn't appear to be invalidated if you move.

Has anyone done this recently?  Any tips?

The only exception to the 180 day residency rule is if you are active military and stationed here.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will be without a conceal carry permit for at least 7 months.  Do not waste your time and money on a non resident permit, as you are changing residency and it will not work.  Now for the good news, Nebraska is an open carry state and you can legally open carry everywhere but Omaha and Blair at this time.

Offline bobtbuilder

• Post approval required
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »
The only exception to the 180 day residency rule is if you are active military and stationed here.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will be without a conceal carry permit for at least 7 months.  Do not waste your time and money on a non resident permit, as you are changing residency and it will not work.  Now for the good news, Nebraska is an open carry state and you can legally open carry everywhere but Omaha and Blair at this time.

Did that change recently?  The information I have read is that you can skip the 180-day wait if you have a valid carry permit that is recognized in NE.  I already have one in my current state, so I am hoping it will allow me to skip the wait to apply.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
Did that change recently?  The information I have read is that you can skip the 180-day wait if you have a valid carry permit that is recognized in NE.  I already have one in my current state, so I am hoping it will allow me to skip the wait to apply.
Your information is current, and is a recent change. 

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

From the State Patrol FAQ, in answer to the question, "What if I move to Nebraska with a permit from another state": Answer:  A valid permit from another state that is recognized by Nebraska for Reciprocity Purposes will allow you to apply immediately and the 180 day Residency Period will be waived.  All other application requirements still apply including the application fee, background check, handgun training and safety course and all other applicable documentation. .
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
From the State Patrol FAQ, in answer to the question, "What if I move to Nebraska with a permit from another state": Answer:  A valid permit from another state that is recognized by Nebraska for Reciprocity Purposes will allow you to apply immediately and the 180 day Residency Period will be waived.  All other application requirements still apply including the application fee, background check, handgun training and safety course and all other applicable documentation. .
The Patrol's answer doesn't cover the period from the day you "officially" become a resident of Nebraska to the day your Nebraska permit arrives. Can you carry concealed on your previous state's permit during that time? I suspect not.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:22:15 PM »
No you cannot.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
The Patrol's answer doesn't cover the period from the day you "officially" become a resident of Nebraska to the day your Nebraska permit arrives. Can you carry concealed on your previous state's permit during that time? I suspect not.
I believe the full answer there is as follows:
YES, per regulations quoted earlier, you may apply immediately to receive your CCP in NE because you have a valid out of state permit, but NO you may not carry until such time as you receive your NE permit.

It's a catch 22, but at least you aren't stuck waiting 180 days to apply and then another 6-8 weeks before getting it.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan