< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: $199 30 Caliber Can?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
$199 30 Caliber Can?
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
I'm no fan of Black Aces Tactical since they were the genesis of the whole "shouldering the brace" thing with the ATF....however, I'd like to hear this.  I hope it's better than the $100 Rebel rimfire can that blows.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/21/black-aces-tactical-announces-a-new-suppressor-at-199-for-both-the-30-and-7-62mm-platforms/

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: $199 30 Caliber Can?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »
eh... i'd rather have a solid company with a great track record and great customer service over a cheap can.  you could almost roll your own at that price.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
eh... i'd rather have a solid company with a great track record and great customer service over a cheap can.  you could almost roll your own at that price.
I totally agree.  Every budget can I've ever shot has been garbage.  The Rebel .22 can and pretty much everything that Thompson Machine builds.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
I'm no fan of Black Aces Tactical since they were the genesis of the whole "shouldering the brace" thing with the ATF....however, I'd like to hear this.  I hope it's better than the $100 Rebel rimfire can that blows.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/21/black-aces-tactical-announces-a-new-suppressor-at-199-for-both-the-30-and-7-62mm-platforms/
Ok, do you actually own a Rebel silencer?  Or just trying to elicit a response?  But I think I already know.... 8)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:28:53 PM by Les »

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:17:35 PM »
Ok, do you actually own a Rebel silencer?  Or just trying to elicit a response?  But I think I already know.... 8)
A very good friend is an SOT.  He bought one out of curiosity.  We shot it for 2 hours at the Clybel shooting range a month ago.  It was horrific...it offered basically zero legitimate suppression.  It was probably not even hearing safe with standard velocity loads...out of a MKII 5.5"

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »
Just msgd my buddy that's the SOT.  Here's his response: This is one of those products that will likely fail because this business model doesn't work. The MSRP is so low there's no room for markup which means you have to buy direct or from only a few SOTs that will stock it. I'm not selling a $199 can and make $49 (25% markup). I charge $60 for a NFA transfer.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:06:05 AM »
A very good friend is an SOT.  He bought one out of curiosity.  We shot it for 2 hours at the Clybel shooting range a month ago.  It was horrific...it offered basically zero legitimate suppression.  It was probably not even hearing safe with standard velocity loads...out of a MKII 5.5"
I don't believe zero suppression, I ran a couple hundred .22's through a 6" buckmark and was impressed how quiet it was especially for the price.  It wasn't as quiet on a savage .17hmr because still had the supersonic crack but it was as quiet as any can I've been around. 

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »
Just msgd my buddy that's the SOT.  Here's his response: This is one of those products that will likely fail because this business model doesn't work. The MSRP is so low there's no room for markup which means you have to buy direct or from only a few SOTs that will stock it. I'm not selling a $199 can and make $49 (25% markup). I charge $60 for a NFA transfer.
So by "likely fail" means hasn't yet, and since he can't make enough on selling one chooses to trash the product.  Talk about a bad business model  ;)

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
I don't believe zero suppression, I ran a couple hundred .22's through a 6" buckmark and was impressed how quiet it was especially for the price.  It wasn't as quiet on a savage .17hmr because still had the supersonic crack but it was as quiet as any can I've been around.
What's it have three baffles?  Not impressed at all.  I'll see if I can find the metering data we collected.

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
So by "likely fail" means hasn't yet, and since he can't make enough on selling one chooses to trash the product.  Talk about a bad business model  ;)
The thing is, when you design and build a product that must be sold through Class3 dealers, you have to bear in mind margin.  These guys aren't going to stock your product if they can't pay for their time doing it.

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
In the short config, it was loud. Almost didn't sound suppressed.

Long config was better. On my FVSR it was louder than the ARC22.

It was $50 s fine, but I wouldn't pay $99 for it. The short config is pretty unless IMO.