< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Man Threatens to Sue over Ladies Night at Range  (Read 2882 times)

CC

Man Threatens to Sue over Ladies Night at Range
« on: August 27, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/08/27/gun-range-ends-ladies-night-man-threatens-legal-action-discrimination/

Men could come, but unlike the women had to pay for range time. The guy threatened to sue under California law.

Tricky issue. I think a business should have the freedom to do this, but consider if it was reversed and men got to shoot free and women had to pay. There would be a huge outcry of gender discrimination.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Man Threatens to Sue over Ladies Night at Range
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
Hey its California, all he has to do is identify as female. Problem solved.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »
Hey its California, all he has to do is identify as female. Problem solved.

Good point!

Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
It's tempting to support the guy's lawsuit just because this is an example of a common double standard that turns white heterosexual men into second class citizens and creates a pecking order with us at the bottom.  But I'm guessing that neither the business nor the lady shooters are the reason for the other half of the double standard, since neither group seems likely to vote liberal (even though I'm sure there are exceptions), so this might not be the best place to take a stand.

The suggestion of self-identifying as a woman has merit.  Next time I'm in Walmart and have to pee really bad and the men's bathroom is being cleaned I might try that.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
How is it any different than "Ladies Night" (e.g. no cover charge) at a local watering hole?

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
I'm surprised at some of the negative remarks I've heard (mostly Facebook) about the Ladies Night at that range.   It's basic marketing.  The range knows that there are many women gun owners, and yet they aren't visiting.  So you make a promotion to get folks you want as customers to come through the door.  It's not sexist.  It's not discrimination.  It's good business.   

Some of the ranges in the Omaha area have been getting creative with promotions with date nights and such.  It's just good marketing.  Why a date night?  Because there are folks that hadn't thought about going to the range as a couples activity.  So you plant the seed that it can be.  Isn't that the case with every promotion?

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »
I'm surprised at some of the negative remarks I've heard (mostly Facebook) about the Ladies Night at that range.   

The only problem I have with it is the double standard: it's ok to give women special treatment but not men.  I say get government entirely out of social engineering.  But as long as they are going to do it then treat all of us equally.  I should sue the gym I used to go to for having a women's only weight room. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
I say get government entirely out of social engineering.   

Huh?  How is government involved in a PRIVATE business offering the discussed promotion?  It certainly will become involved by FORCING this PRIVATE business or others to do away with such marketing ideas.

CC

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
How is government involved?  The threat of lawsuit is based on CA law. Other cities also have non-discrimination ordinances that prohibit among other things, gender discrimination.

The government has made discrimination by businesses on the basis of race, gender, etc. illegal. So, this is how government is involved.

Think of the bakers ruined because they wouldn't bake a same sex marriage cake.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »

The government has made discrimination by businesses on the basis of race, gender, etc. illegal. So, this is how government is involved.

Think of the bakers ruined because they wouldn't bake a same sex marriage cake.

This!

There should be no surprise seeing negative comments about this issue. People have been so dumbed down that they no longer know what is a right and what isn't. They also think that our rights come from the government!

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
Huh?  How is government involved in a PRIVATE business offering the discussed promotion?  It certainly will become involved by FORCING this PRIVATE business or others to do away with such marketing ideas.
I was going to answer your rhetorical question my friend but I see someone else already did.  So let me just say this: I'm all for ladies' night.  I just don't like double standards, because their effect is to turn one group into second class citizens.  Either no one can get special treatment or anyone can get special treatment.  I'm on the side of government just staying out of it entirely, meaning let businesses do what they want.  But since government insists on social engineering, then as the saying goes, what's good for the gander is good for the goose too.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »
So if I refuse to let your nasty barefoot, sloppy fat no shirt wearing butt in my business ?

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
So if I refuse to let your nasty barefoot, sloppy fat no shirt wearing butt in my business ?

Then you are okay... but if the said nasty barefoot, sloppy, fat, no shirt wearing butt is a member of a protected class, then BIG G steps in and shows you the error in your freedom loving ways.
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."