< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Friend wants to carry concealed, but with OWB holster  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Friend wants to carry concealed, but with OWB holster
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »
He carries a Smith & Wesson M&P, Barrel length ~3.2  Performance centre with the hogue grip added. Doesn't like paddle holsters. He's looking for recommendations to get a holster made. I suggested Midwest Leather Works, any others you'd recommend?
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Friend wants to carry concealed, but with OWB holster
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
I have a kydex holster made by Mark Arehart out at Kearney that I carry the same with occasionally. I'm not sure if he is still is making them. It carries nice and tight.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
I used to make my own holsters and knife sheaths and that might be a good solution for your friend.  I used good thick tooling leather, got it wet so it would form a tight fit around the gun or knife, and used a sewing awl and rivets.  Makes a nice holster and costs less than buying one.  There are certain things that need to be done right that might not be immediately apparent, so it's a good idea to look at manufactured holsters to see how one should be made.   
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »
I have a kydex holster made by Mark Arehart out at Kearney that I carry the same with occasionally. I'm not sure if he is still is making them. It carries nice and tight.

Thanks! I will have him look him up.

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
I used to make my own holsters and knife sheaths and that might be a good solution for your friend.  I used good thick tooling leather, got it wet so it would form a tight fit around the gun or knife, and used a sewing awl and rivets.  Makes a nice holster and costs less than buying one.  There are certain things that need to be done right that might not be immediately apparent, so it's a good idea to look at manufactured holsters to see how one should be made.   

Where did you get your tooling leather from?

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
Where did you get your tooling leather from?

I got it from Tandy Leather sometimes and have found some at gun shows from time to time.  But this was many years ago.  I bet an internet search would find some good sources now.  And you would probably have to go to the internet for rivets, though there might be a local source for those things.  I would add that the thicker leather will make a better holster (or sheath). 

I'd be surprised if there are not a few dozen youtube videos on how to do it (though I haven't looked).
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
If you live near Omaha Tandy leather has a retail store at  8445 W Center Rd, Omaha, NE 68124.  They have leather, rivets, etc.  in store plus people who can discuss ways to do things.  I go there because I think it's more informative to actually look at what you are getting as opposed to ordering from pictures over the internet. 

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
Appreciate the advice. This has been really helpful

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
He carries a Smith & Wesson M&P, Barrel length ~3.2  Performance centre with the hogue grip added. Doesn't like paddle holsters. He's looking for recommendations to get a holster made. I suggested Midwest Leather Works, any others you'd recommend?

There's a reason that a lot of people who shoot a lot buy holsters from JM Custom Kydex, Dale Fricke Holsters, Raven Concealment, or Dark Star Gear (to name a few).  All of those companies make a quality OWB holster that has withstood testing from people who shoot and stress their gear in all sorts of situations.

While I'm all for local businesses, a good quality holster is really important, assuming that it is actually going to be used.  Is there a reason he wants one made locally?

I'd very much NOT suggest having him make his own, unless he already knows what he is doing.  Contrary to what many new holster-makers seem to think, having a heat gun and a sheet of kydex, or an awl and some leather, doesn't really give the knowledge necessary to make a good holster.  It may be holster-shaped, but all holsters are not created equal.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/SFNT.html

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/gideon-elite-holster/

https://darkstargear.com/kydex-gear/owb/

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Merl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »

Jerry Meckna with Gun Tech Holsters can make him one to fit his gun.  Jerry does awesome work and is local in Council Bluffs.  I have a few of his holsters and am quite pleased with them. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:18:11 AM by Merl »

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
While I'm all for local businesses, a good quality holster is really important, assuming that it is actually going to be used.  Is there a reason he wants one made locally?

Great question. After additional conversations, the local option was simply to see if there were individuals he could support nearby, however, given his previous experience, he would rather get a good quality holster above all else. Though he is particular to leather. Any concerns I should share with him in regards to whether leather would or would not be good option?

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
Great question. After additional conversations, the local option was simply to see if there were individuals he could support nearby, however, given his previous experience, he would rather get a good quality holster above all else. Though he is particular to leather. Any concerns I should share with him in regards to whether leather would or would not be good option?
Mostly just personal preference, either can have good retention or not, I've seen junk on both ends.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 06:10:29 AM »

Nothing wrong with leather for a holster, provided the holster-maker knows what they are doing.  Milt Sparks holsters, for example, are excellent.  Some other folks, not so much.  (Just like kydex--some holster-makers know what they are doing, and others are people with a sheet of kydex and a heat gun who give you a blank look when you ask how they finished the edges.)

I personally go with kydex because I want my holster to act the same whether it is hot or cold or wet or dry, and kydex holsters are easier to clean and take care of, while still being cheaper than leather for a quality one.  That being said, thousands of people who actually carry and shoot a lot still like leather, so it isn't a poor choice as long as it is a quality holster.  And there's no doubt that a good leather holster looks better than a kydex one, and for some people that's important.  (I've never understood that---I want my gear to look boring and unobtrusive, and not attract a second look at all, but some people really want their gear to look good, and that's fine.)

I'm blanking on other good leather holster makers at the moment who have a track record of quality (though I'll probably remember right after I post this).

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-55-bn.php
http://www.miltsparks.com/products-i-bak.php

Ah yes, Mitch Rosen holsters also have a solid track record of quality. 

http://mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

Man, there is a newer holster maker that several people who shoot a lot like, but I'm blanking on the company name.  If I remember, I'll come back and edit this.

If your friend wants something with active retention at all for OWB carry (is he ever planning on open carry?) then the Safariland ALS is by far the best holster out there, in my opinion.  That's a separate discussion, though.

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
Don't forget the belt.  A good quality holster may still not ride properly or feel snug with a cheap belt.  I couldn't figure why carrying felt so uncomfortable until I got a good belt.  Even wider thin cheap quality off the shelf belts didn't carry snugly for me and cut into my waist when pulled tight.  Finally looked on
internet and found a good quality 1.5 inch bull hide belt.  Been happily wearing it ever since.  Now I think of holster and belt as a pair.  If one of the pair is cheap/ not sturdy or well made - it won't feel right.

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »
Don't forget the belt.  A good quality holster may still not ride properly or feel snug with a cheap belt.  I couldn't figure why carrying felt so uncomfortable until I got a good belt.  Even wider thin cheap quality off the shelf belts didn't carry snugly for me and cut into my waist when pulled tight.  Finally looked on
internet and found a good quality 1.5 inch bull hide belt.  Been happily wearing it ever since.  Now I think of holster and belt as a pair.  If one of the pair is cheap/ not sturdy or well made - it won't feel right.

Oh, I think you are on to something there. I will share this, I think it's contributing to the problem he is having with the one he is trying to use now.  Thank you!

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
Really appreciate the knowledge being shared on this one. Not surprised I am learning more than I could have hoped to share with him and on top of it, copying this all down to share with the Well Armed Woman groups in Nebraska. It's a common question for them too.

It's really great to have you all here!

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
 all my belts are 1 1/2 inch. double thick leather with a nylon stiffner inbetween the layers. these are not cheap. but will last a very long time,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Wrmedic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »
I highly recommend Robert with Plum Creek Leatherworks. I have had several holster made by him. Super comfortable owb. I would recommend getting the extra material of a sweat guard. It really helps with comfort to keep from digging into your side especially when seated. I had the outside of the top part of  opening double layered. Helps to keep it open when reholstering. I second the getting a good belt. Started carrying with a store bought "good" leather belt. Doesn't compare to a true gun belt. I have the m&pc and it is supper super comfortable to carry.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
Just remembered the other leather holster maker that several people like that i know--- 5 Shot Leather, LLC.

http://www.5shotleather.com/owb.htm

I agree with the comments from folks regarding a good gun belt---using something that is an actual gun belt versus merely a thick leather belt will make a significant difference in comfort.  (And access.) 

The Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor belt is one of the belts that everything else gets compared to, and for good reason.  I own two---and I've never needed to switch to the second one, even though I've been wearing the first one on a literally daily basis for the past 6 years.  I have the CSM model with the polymer insert, and it has been an outstanding gun belt for me.  Works for pretty much every situation except for when I'm wearing a suit or formal wear of some sort.

http://www.thewilderness.com/belts/

For formal wear, I use a Galco Matrix belt (which looks exactly like a normal dress belt, but more definitely isn't)--unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.  However, plenty of other companies make good gun belts with polymer linings, which are my preference.  Layered leather is fine, but over time without interior support, the leather will stretch and turn no matter what the advertising says.  (Aker is a good example of a decent gun belt with an insert.  Not fancy, but a solid belt at a good price.)

The Beltman is also known for excellent gun belts.

https://www.thebeltman.net/products/quick-ship-bullhide-gun-belt

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
I've worn a Bigfoot Gun Belt daily for the past three years.  I like that it doesn't look like a nylon gun belt.  It is very thick leather and has a spring steel core.  Prices aren't bad for a leather belt (between $60-65 depending on which one you order).  I have this one: http://gunbelts.com/gun-belt-1-5-wide-leather-with-core-18-oz
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.