< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question for FFLs about state residency  (Read 1002 times)

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
Question for FFLs about state residency
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
Here's one for ya!   I am stationed at Offutt but live in Iowa and my drivers license is not from either of those states (a legal resident of the DL state).  It was easy when I lived in Nebraska, you just gave the county your orders, some money and NE address and they sold you the purchase permit.    Am I good just going through any ole FFL in Iowa or is this one of those situations that is more convoluted?
Thanks!

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Question for FFLs about state residency
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »
Unless something has changed since I lived in Iowa, they also require a purchase permit for handguns which was only good for one year.  I think it is now good for five years which makes a lot more sense.

You may able to show your orders and something that shows where you are living and get their permit.  I recommend checking with the Sheriffs Department.

When I was stationed in Utah I ran into the same issue as I was legally a resident of Florida.  One of the things I did to help minimize the issues was to have my Utah address on my Florida Drivers License. As long as the address on the drivers license showed that I lived in Utah they didn't really care who issued the license.  I also had a Utah CC permit with the same address on it.

John K

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
Re: Question for FFLs about state residency
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the info.   Looks like the permit is for 5 years now.   Will check with the county and see what they say.