< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PSA: No Peeking!  (Read 2083 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
PSA: No Peeking!
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Just thought some of you would like a little story....

I recently took a new job that requires me to crash with my parents about 2 or so hours away from Lincoln.  My wife and kids will join me soon after our house is closed on.  Anyways, my parents have a farm and I have been taking full advantage of daytime and night time shooting.  (Can't wait til hunting, these coons and coyotes have been very active!)  Anyways, i was shooting an 80% ghost pistol that shoots 9mm bullets in half seconds.  While shooting my glasses began to fog up, so I pulled them down just a bit to peek over the top of the fogginess.  I thought, I am almost done with the mag and nothing will happen.... well I was wrong.  First shot, bang! Pain in my left eye.  I tried flushing it for several minutes and went to bed, no biggie, right?  Woke up the next day with more pain in my eye.  Tried flushing it again, nothing.  Decided to finally go to the doctor.  He saw a small piece of powder lodged in my eye.  He had to use a Q-tip and needle to get everything out.  He prescribed some eye medicine to prevent infection.  He said I "scratched the hell out of my eye."  Cost me $40 with copay and prescription.  I consider it a close call.  It's something often over looked.  So, don't peek over foggy glasses!  It's not worth it!

Pic of said evil death machine:

TL;DR: Don't peek over safety glasses!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: PSA: No Peeking!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:20:27 PM »
Great lesson. Sorry you had to be reminded in such a way, but glad you are not permanently scarred.
Thank you for the reminder.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »
With all the muzzle restriction and accessories, it's no wonder the debris came back at you, it had nowhere else to go. :laugh:

Glad it was not any more serious than that. I know 8 people that are down one eye, I don't want to know any more. :o

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »
With all the muzzle restriction and accessories, it's no wonder the debris came back at you, it had nowhere else to go. :laugh:

Glad it was not any more serious than that. I know 8 people that are down one eye, I don't want to know any more. :o

and to top it off, that little piece had to go between the top of my glasses and the brim of my hat!  i thought, no way in the world would it get to my eyes..... i was wrong.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
And try to resist the urge to rub the eye, that's what scratches it.  Ask me how I know  ;)

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
And try to resist the urge to rub the eye, that's what scratches it.  Ask me how I know  ;)

That's one urge that is impossible to resist.

Former contact wearer that got yelled at pretty regularly because I rubbed my eyes a lot when I had my contacts in.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Can I share your story with my women's shooting group?
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
Can I share your story with my women's shooting group?

Yes. I should have taken a picture of the q-tip. It was a single spec of powder and I had some much smaller specs. The eye feels good today.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
so I pulled them down just a bit to peek over the top of the fogginess.

RobertH
And what we don't know here is just how much stuff DID NOT go into your eyes simply because the part of your glasses you didn't pull down all the way served to block a buncha other stuff.   Had to be more than just one very tiny piece of powder flying around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I know 8 people that are down one eye]

MntnMan.........
Look, I mean this in a positive, helpful way, but you might want to think about going to a different bar where thumb-gouging is NOT allowed in the bar fights.   Maybe Harley Biker Bar instead of MountainMen.  (You'll know when you're in a MountainMan bar; The Fur Hats are a dead give-away.   And the Bowie Knives.)

Just sayin'.................................

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some time ago on this Forum I described the day my Springfield XDM40 blew up in my hand.   And all over my face.   

There were Two Great Big Rushes of Relief:
(1)  Finding that all my fingers were still attached and functional,
(2)  Realizing that despite all that racket, I was wearing safety glasses.

After (1) and (2), picking the myriad tiny pieces of brass out of my forehead, cheeks, and face was no Big Deal.

I still see Folks at the range, no safety glasses.   (For some reason, "ears" are required equipment, but "eyes" are not. )  Go figger. 

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »

MntnMan.........
Look, I mean this in a positive, helpful way, but you might want to think about going to a different bar where thumb-gouging is NOT allowed in the bar fights.   Maybe Harley Biker Bar instead of MountainMen.  (You'll know when you're in a MountainMan bar; The Fur Hats are a dead give-away.   And the Bowie Knives.)

Just sayin'.................................

sfg

In no particular order:

Fork from her brother as kids
chipped chisel
detatched retina
eye ulcer
cancer
work accident
work accident
broken rope (forgot about my grandpa!)
beer bottle

I have a scar that ends 1/4 inch from my eye from a beer bottle. It happened from behind in 2001 and I just found out the D bag was actually going for my brother and my other brother saw it coming and pulled him out of the way so he hit me. Wrong place, wrong time. I think he was rather disappointed in the stopping power it provided!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:11:21 PM by Mntnman »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »
Coupla Things:

1)  Purple Heart awards have been made for injuries significantly less than those listed above.

2)  Shows that we should not ever bring a beer bottle to a gun fight.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
 My daughter was rolling up a 100 ft eletric cord,( I have industrial ends on my cords) it was to heavy to just drag and roll it up. so she whipped it to get the end closer, and it hit her right in the eye, ambulance and everything, still has a little blury area,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »
While on active duty we had a senior NCO who was off duty using some bungee cords to secure a load on his station wagon. One let go and caught him in the eye. He lost the eye. He was within 2 years of retirement and was allowed to remain on AD and retire.
WØCHF