< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: is carrying more than 1 concealed gun illegal?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
is carrying more than 1 concealed gun illegal?
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
Mostly just a matter of curiosity since I don't have a permit anyway and don't conceal carry one gun let alone two. But I just watched a Paul Harrell video on carrying a backup gun and he said that in most US states it is actually illegal to conceal carry more than one gun at a time.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: is carrying more than 1 concealed gun illegal?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
I would challenge Mr Harrell to prove  his assertion.... it is certainly not illegal in Nebraska
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
I agree with Dan. From all the training I have seen there is no mention of a limit to the number of concealed weapons your permit covers.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
It is very illegal in New Mexico. You can open carry as many as you want but only one can be concealed by law. The position they take to arrive at this conclusion by statutory title it is a Concealed Handgun License singularly.
Also remember that you must obey the laws of the state your in not your home state. Dutiful research to the states you travel to and through will save a bunch of trouble.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:20 AM »
I agree with Dan. From all the training I have seen there is no mention of a limit to the number of concealed weapons your permit covers.
Or ammo.   ;D

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
The thing about Nebraska is that you can carry all the concealed guns you want but you are not allowed to carry even one concealed knife.  This is inconceivably stupid.  Does anyone know what the basis of this idiocy was?  What wisdom led our legislature to conclude that we can have their permission to carry all the concealed guns we want but apparently a knife is just too deadly for law-abiding citizens to be trusted with?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
It is very illegal in New Mexico. You can open carry as many as you want but only one can be concealed by law

I knew of NM restriction and that they also require you to qualify with each caliber one might decide to use, but  that does not equate to "most states"
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
I knew of NM restriction and that they also require you to qualify with each caliber one might decide to use, but  that does not equate to "most states"

How does that work for out of state permit holders carrying under a reciprocal agreement?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
How does that work for out of state permit holders carrying under a reciprocal agreement?
When they they accept  the NE Permit, a valid permit means you have acceptable training and have qualified in a manner that New Mexico has agreed to honor, so I am relatively certain that caliber will not be an issue for non resident permits
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »

I qualified with 22 lr because I could and I don’t agree with the qualifying requirement. Pew! Pew! Everyone in the class was required to use 22 lr, actually. .

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
The thing about Nebraska is that you can carry all the concealed guns you want but you are not allowed to carry even one concealed knife.  This is inconceivably stupid.  Does anyone know what the basis of this idiocy was?  What wisdom led our legislature to conclude that we can have their permission to carry all the concealed guns we want but apparently a knife is just too deadly for law-abiding citizens to be trusted with?
The same idiocy employed by the all or nothing crowd that prevented CCW from advancing for 25 years.

Those of us actually doing the work took what we could get instead of just ranting about things we could not...

"Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best”
 Otto von Bismarck

I expect you will at the next NFOA day at the capital to lobby for your ideas to become bills and then spend years fighting for their passage
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Well.......

I happen to be in Albuquerque, NM this very minute.

So having been forewarned by my pre-trip CHP Law Review, Traveliing States, and having that information confirmed on this Forum,

I shall leave the house to go out with only one (1) Ruger LCR .327FedMag.    Which should really be quite enough for just about any situation.   Speedloader or two, of course.  (More than one speedloader may be carried in New Mexico.)

Interestingly, immediately out the back door I can see the very spot where the mentally ill "illegal camper" James Boyd was gunned down by two Albuquerque police officers in the Sandia Mountain foothills.   Guess he was littering or something.   Or maybe built a bonfire.   Jury did not convict.

Not far enough South to visit Gunscribe.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
The same idiocy employed by the all or nothing crowd that prevented CCW from advancing for 25 years.

Those of us actually doing the work took what we could get instead of just ranting about things we could not...

"Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best”
 Otto von Bismarck

I expect you will at the next NFOA day at the capital to lobby for your ideas to become bills and then spend years fighting for their passage

I wasn't blaming you and that should have been obvious.  Why was it even a consideration?  Whose idea was it, and what was their reasoning?  That was my question.  You threw a misplaced tantrum instead of answering it.

I've been to the capital a few times in support of the right, and I contact my elected representatives on a regular basis.  I don't know if you would want me giving an opinion at NFOA day, since as far as I'm concerned those imposing illegal gun control edicts on us belong in jail, and I don't know if expressing that sentiment would be helpful.  But if you want me to, say the word and I'll be there.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »
I am just sayin if you want concealed knife carry get in there and fight for it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »
I wasn't blaming you and that should have been obvious.  Why was it even a consideration?  Whose idea was it, and what was their reasoning?  That was my question.  You threw a misplaced tantrum instead of answering it.

I've been to the capital a few times in support of the right, and I contact my elected representatives on a regular basis.  I don't know if you would want me giving an opinion at NFOA day, since as far as I'm concerned those imposing illegal gun control edicts on us belong in jail, and I don't know if expressing that sentiment would be helpful.  But if you want me to, say the word and I'll be there.
I believe the sentiment here is/or should be, we need all the help we can get and everyone can make a contribution no matter how large or small.   One key point imho is working together, and not "Eating our own"  We have an annoying way of doing that.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »
   Not quite every caliber Dan. If you want the choice between a modern day pistole and an old fashion wheel gun you have to qualify with each one. Additionally you can only carry with the caliber you qualified and smaller. Most folks seem to qualify with one each 45 caliber semi-auto and 45 caliber revolving smoke wagons. 
La Luz, NM

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 07:20:12 AM »
Well.......

I happen to be in Albuquerque, NM this very minute.

So having been forewarned by my pre-trip CHP Law Review, Traveliing States, and having that information confirmed on this Forum,

I shall leave the house to go out with only one (1) Ruger LCR .327FedMag.    Which should really be quite enough for just about any situation.   Speedloader or two, of course.  (More than one speedloader may be carried in New Mexico.)

Interestingly, immediately out the back door I can see the very spot where the mentally ill "illegal camper" James Boyd was gunned down by two Albuquerque police officers in the Sandia Mountain foothills.   Guess he was littering or something.   Or maybe built a bonfire.   Jury did not convict.

Not far enough South to visit Gunscribe.

sfg
    How long you going to be there? Might could make something happen. We are leaving for the Glock Match in Tucson in a few hours but will be back Sunday night.
La Luz, NM