< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: minimum age to open carry?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
minimum age to open carry?
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
What is the legal age in nebraska to open carry a handgun?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: minimum age to open carry?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »

then - omaha etc... you need a chp

28-1204.
Unlawful possession of a handgun; exceptions; penalty.

(1) Any person under the age of eighteen years who possesses a handgun commits the offense of unlawful possession of a handgun.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:44:38 PM »
Isn't 21 to own a handgun?
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
To purchase is 21.  To own is 18.    Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
then - omaha etc... you need a chp

Another Omaha Open Carry option is the Handgun Identification Card [HIC].   To obtain one, basically an applicant takes a course which is pretty much identical w/the Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit class.   So--as implied above, a person might as well go for the CHP class first and skip the HIC.   But the HIC is another option for Open Carry in Omaha.   Many security organizations, armored car companies, and banks send their personnel to the HIC classes so that these employees may openly pack heat in the course of their workday.

And why does Omaha call it the Handgun Identification Card instead of the Open Carry Permit??? 
Believe me, the card Does Not identify a handgun in any way whatsoever.   I taught the HIC classes at the National Safety Council - Nebraska for several years and asked Everyone there who might be in a position to know.

And.........of course.............No One Ever Knew.   Just another one of those Weird Handgun Thingies.

FWIW,
sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Another Omaha Open Carry option is the Handgun Identification Card.
Is this still being offered?

I remember some discussion about whether a CHP overrides municipal ordinances (Omaha and Blair) against open carry. Was this ever resolved?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
Here We Go............

(1)  The National Safety Council-Nebraska at the SW corner of 120th and L in Omaha formerly offered the Handgun Identification Card [HIC] classes and NE Concealed Handgun Permit classes.  However, it appears that they no longer do so.   Here's a bit from their website:   

Handgun Safety
The National Safety Council, Nebraska no longer offers Handgun Safety Training Courses. 

However, it does appear that NSC-N offers renewals for existing 3-year HIC/Open Carry permits.

(2)  Here's the Omaha Municode that covers carry of a concealable  firearm.   Omaha Municode 20-191 defines a concealable firearm as follows:  Concealable firearm: A firearm having an overall length of less than 26 inches.   Please note (9) and (10), at the end.

===========================
Sec. 20-206. - Carrying weapons.

(a)  As provided in section 20-192, the carrying of a concealed weapon is expressly forbidden.

(b)  In all other cases, it shall be unlawful for a person to go armed with a loaded concealable firearm of any kind or to knowingly carry or transport a concealable firearm in a motor vehicle, provided, however, that this section shall not apply to the following persons:

(1)  Persons lawfully entitled to possess a firearm while upon the premises where he or she regularly resides or is regularly employed.

(2)  Peace officers.

(3)  Members of the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, or the Reserve Officer Training Corps when on duty or training.

(4)  Persons who for any lawful purpose carry an unloaded concealable firearm inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person.

(5)  Persons who for any lawful purpose carry or transport an unloaded concealable firearm in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the concealable firearm will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.

(6)  Persons in or upon a shooting range or the regular business premises of a federally and city licensed firearms dealer.

(7)  Persons engaged in a generally recognized course of instruction in the use of firearms, such as hunter safety instructions or instruction for the purpose of obtaining an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207.

(8   Persons who have verified to the city that they are entitled to a waiver of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207(k).

(9)  Persons who have obtained and display an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207.

(10)  Persons possessing a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Nebraska Law.
=============================

So..........Section 2.b.10 allows Open Carry by NE CHP holders.

My recommendation to anyone listening is to forget about the HIC and go with the NE CHP.   I happen to carry both because I want to have a ton of permits to show to any LEO with whom I might be in contact.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
The course is no longer offered because of the spread of CHP courses and the fact the content exceeds that of what was in the course offered by the safety council.

For Omaha, all you have to do now is present the a CHP class certificate of completion to get the open carry permit. This is allowed because of how Omaha's ordinances are written in regards to open carry being permitted with that extra layer of infringement. So you can either do that or pay the additional fee and get your CHP. The CHP is your permit to open carry in Omaha. But in Blair, Open Carry is banned completely so the CHP offers no open carry permissions.
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."