< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Handgun Registration Denial?  (Read 6159 times)

Offline OTownPyro

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shall not be infringed.
Omaha Handgun Registration Denial?
« on: November 11, 2017, 04:22:42 AM »
Last week I went to purchase my first firearm.  The week before I had applied for, and been granted, my purchase permit.  Purchased my gun at OGC on Friday and was given the 3 day delay.  Went this last Thursday, as instructed, to the OPD HQ, and was denied my registration and forced to go get a refund.  The guy behind the desk even admitted that, while I do have a background, there are no felonies or domestics.  The manager at OGC had never heard of such a thing, and I can't find anything about it in my searches online.  I passed the county background, passed the NICs background check, but some lone individual at the PD gets to decide I'm not worthy of my basic human rights?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?  What recourse do I have to purchase a handgun?  Anyone every seen or heard of this?
Police Response Average - 10 min
12 Guage Slug Speed - 1800 FPS

You do the math.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Re: Omaha Handgun Registration Denial?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »
Hello OTownPyro...
I would certainly like to look into this for you.  Would you mind sending me a message with your contact information off the Forum?

Thank you,
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:46:42 AM »
Get your concealed carry permit.  Omaha can't enforce the registration if you have the state permit. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:06:58 AM »
One more reason to GET ACTIVE AND CALL YOUR SENATOR NEXT SESSION TO SUPPORT LB68.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
Get your concealed carry permit.  Omaha can't enforce the registration if you have the state permit.
An excellent suggestion. With a CHP, you don't need a NICS check to buy a firearm and you don't have to lock up a handgun to transport it in your vehicle.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
An excellent suggestion. With a CHP, you don't need a NICS check to buy a firearm and you don't have to lock up a handgun to transport it in your vehicle.

This is exactly why I recommend every gun owner in Omaha city limits get a permit.

Offline OTownPyro

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
Hello OTownPyro...
I would certainly like to look into this for you.  Would you mind sending me a message with your contact information off the Forum?

Thank you,

Sent.

You do the math.

Offline OTownPyro

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »

That is part of the plan.  Unfortunately, I come from Chicago originally, so I have very limited experience.  Finances are also a little tough for us.  I'll be honest, after renting a gun at OGC 2x, I am the first to admit I am far from ready to be carrying a firearm in public.  We're still looking to get a CCW, but it will be some time before I can.  In the meantime I am picking up a shotgun on Black Friday so my wife can at least have something in the house while I'm at work at night.

You do the math.

CC

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »
“Finances are also a little tough for us.“

This is exactly why I oppose the fees that gun owners must pay to own and carry a gun. The fees prevent citizens from exercising their Constitutional 2nd amendment right. A poll tax is illegal for this very reason and so should fees to exercise your 2nd amendment right.

It is unconstitutional for states to not honor DL or marriage licenses so each state should have to honor CCW permits.

The inconsistency of our government drives me crazy.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Well, Senator Carol Blood stated in a hearing this year that if you needed to choose between a gun permit and food on the table, you should choose food.   Isn't it great that we have folks that can tell us what decisions we should make with our lives?

/sarcasm

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
That is part of the plan.  Unfortunately, I come from Chicago originally, so I have very limited experience.  Finances are also a little tough for us.  I'll be honest, after renting a gun at OGC 2x, I am the first to admit I am far from ready to be carrying a firearm in public.  We're still looking to get a CCW, but it will be some time before I can.  In the meantime I am picking up a shotgun on Black Friday so my wife can at least have something in the house while I'm at work at night.

Understood.   
Best of luck to you.  Keep your eye open on this forum and Facebook.  You can probably find a CHP class in the $85 range if you keep an eye out. 
The cost is, obviously, a liberal attempt to keep people from obtaining the permit.  I've always wondered why, if you don't pass the background check, the state patrol refunds $85 (if that number isn't correct, please let me know)...shouldn't the permit cost around $15 then?

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:38:31 PM »
Otownpyro- I moved here from NY and was denied ownership by OPD when they denied my registration. I appealed and at the appeal, OPD rep said they couldn't confirm I wasn't a felon because I wasn't from Omaha. At the appeal, I showed the 5 member panel my Permit to Purchase and was approved. You don't have a ton of time to appeal, better hurry.  RJ  btw I live in Florence, kinda North-North Omaha.

Offline OTownPyro

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Otownpyro- I moved here from NY and was denied ownership by OPD when they denied my registration. I appealed and at the appeal, OPD rep said they couldn't confirm I wasn't a felon because I wasn't from Omaha. At the appeal, I showed the 5 member panel my Permit to Purchase and was approved. You don't have a ton of time to appeal, better hurry.  RJ  btw I live in Florence, kinda North-North Omaha.

Good to know.  I got a refund the same day from OGC and will be going back on Black Friday per a managers advice.  That way I can get my wife a shotgun for when I'm at work then go through it all again for the appeal.  How long was the appeal process for you?

You do the math.

Offline DSN46

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
Both Omaha and Lincoln city governments are asinine at best.  I'm a retired police officer and I wouldn't allow most city officials to mow my lawn, let alone decide if I can own a firearm or not... it is a "fact-based" decision... if you pass all federal background requirements as written in law, then you can own a firearm... these reprobates in Lincoln and Omaha leave it up to how they personally "feel" about it.  SMH.   :angry:

Sorry for the rant.  I agree with others, get a CCW permit and avoid all the foolishness.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
Hey OTownPyro, please keep us updated.  we are here to help in any way we can.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 11:34:17 PM »
With your state issued purchase permit you can buy a longgun, shotgun or rifle on the spot with no instant background check, same thing would go for buying a handgun from an individual anywhere in NE, or a firearms dealer out of the city limits of Omaha, but without the carry permit you are supposed to register the handgun you bought if you reside in the city limits once you bring the handgun into the city.  Nothing is better than a shotgun for home defense.

I am not exactly sure what OPD can do when you try to register a handgun you already legally own into the city as the purchase has already happened and they could not stop the purchase.  How can they deny registration of something one already legally owns?  Others might know what happens in that situation.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
With your state issued purchase permit you can buy a longgun, shotgun or rifle on the spot with no instant background check, same thing would go for buying a handgun from an individual anywhere in NE, or a firearms dealer out of the city limits of Omaha, but without the carry permit you are supposed to register the handgun you bought if you reside in the city limits once you bring the handgun into the city.  Nothing is better than a shotgun for home defense.

I am not exactly sure what OPD can do when you try to register a handgun you already legally own into the city as the purchase has already happened and they could not stop the purchase.  How can they deny registration of something one already legally owns?  Others might know what happens in that situation.

Yes, they can and they do.  They will either keep the gun or release it to someone they deem appropriate (back to the seller?  Surrendered to a dealer?).   They deny registration for factors that exceed state and federal prohibiting factors.  They deny registration to anyone with a past citation for marijuana.  They also deny to anyone the "suspect" has "an association" with a gang member.   Your cousin running with the wrong crowd?  Screw you, no gun for you.  Over half of all denials by OPD are overturned on appeal.  I have no idea how many are appealed.  So it's possible that only 60 percent are appealed and with 50 percent of denials being overturned, that would be a very high percentage overturned.  I believe they count on many folks not appealing their decision.

Offline OTownPyro

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
Not much update as of now, but we have a plan in place.  Black Friday we will be purchasing a shotgun, as well as the handgun I had wanted.  I'll go to register, and probably get denied.  If I don't get denied, I'll work straight for my CCW and hold off any purchases until then.  If I get denied, I will immediately appeal.  If the appeal goes through, same thing, go straight for CCW to bypass all the illegal nonsense from OPD.  If I get denied again, my friend will come with me and I can use his firearm to get my CCW, then bypass the illegal nonsense.  In the mean time, I will have a 12g to keep the house safe while I'm at work.

It's a hassle, but I actually believe in my Creator endowed rights and have no intention of letting anti-American individuals remove that from me.

You do the math.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Not much update as of now, but we have a plan in place.  Black Friday we will be purchasing a shotgun, as well as the handgun I had wanted.  I'll go to register, and probably get denied.  If I don't get denied, I'll work straight for my CCW and hold off any purchases until then.  If I get denied, I will immediately appeal.  If the appeal goes through, same thing, go straight for CCW to bypass all the illegal nonsense from OPD.  If I get denied again, my friend will come with me and I can use his firearm to get my CCW, then bypass the illegal nonsense.  In the mean time, I will have a 12g to keep the house safe while I'm at work.

It's a hassle, but I actually believe in my Creator endowed rights and have no intention of letting anti-American individuals remove that from me.
Wow! Just wow. Well.....Good Luck

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 04:01:58 AM »
David Hineline, et.al.

I maintain both NE CHP and Omaha Handgun Identification Card state and city permits.  And live within Omaha city limits.  Nevertheless, for reasons which are abhorrent to some of the strong 2A Folks on this Forum, I still choose to register my handguns with the Omaha Police Department.   Registration for NE CHP holders is free, waiving the $15/gun registration fee, but such is not my reason.

Anyhow, I took a handgun that I had owned for some time to OPD at 15th and Howard for registration.   Counter Guy, not a cop, started asking me a line of aggressive questions about where I had originally purchased the handgun, how long I had owned it, why I wanted to have it, why I wanted to register it if I didn't have to do so, blah, blah, blah.

I told him that these questions are not part of the statutory Omaha MuniCode and that we should proceed with the registration of the handgun.  He then gave off some strong negative vibrations and some sour expressions, but he did indeed proceed to register the handgun.  Such was my experience.   A lot depends on who is working the counter when you go in to OPD Headquarters.  I've found the female clerks to have much more good sense and customer orientation than the men.   And bureaucratic power tripping is a common human failing:  a strong argument against the administrative state.

Always good to have written documentation of your ownership of the firearm.   In the above case, I did not.   And often do not, being rather sloppy on firearm records.  Too much fun to get the gun and start messing with it first.

FWIW,

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer