< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Handgun Registration Denial?  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Omaha Handgun Registration Denial?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 09:09:11 AM »
David Hineline, et.al.
Always good to have written documentation of your ownership of the firearm.   In the above case, I did not.   And often do not, being rather sloppy on firearm records.  Too much fun to get the gun and start messing with it first.
l carry a copy of the receipt for my EDC handgun with my permit. Questioning ownership is a pretty common ploy used by LEOs to confiscate your handgun during a stop. Producing proof of ownership on the spot could save you a court appearance and legal fees to recover your property and it is a very easy way to avoid shenanigans
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
God I am glad I don't go to Omaha anymore.  Only two incident with Law Enforcement, once with State Patrol on a headlight, registration, honk your horn check.  No problem, Told trooper I was licensed, I was carrying.  He asked what I was carrying, I told him, he said "good little pistol".  I asked if he needed to see it, he said: "what in the heck for, its in your holster isn't it"  I said yes, and he said have a good day.  The other incident was when a lady ran a stop sign and clobbered us in the intersection.  Lancaster Deputy Sheriff arrived on scene, I told him I was licensed and carrying, he said:  "good deal" " I'll give you a copy of the report after I'm finished.  Never wanted to see the weapon or was concerned. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
DanW, et.al:

Producing proof of ownership on the spot could save you a court appearance and legal fees to recover your property and it is a very easy way to avoid shenanigans.

Perzackly and Precisely One of the Reasons Why I Register Handguns w/OPD, even though holding NE CHP:
Registration provides Irrefuteable Official Proof of Ownership, Available by Immediate Electronic Inquiry to LEOs.

And you can't lose it.   In fact, you can't hardly ever get rid of it.

My list of handguns registered to OPD over the years stretches from here to Scottsbluff.   The vast majority of these handguns have long, long ago moved on to other owners.   Many of them are members of this very Forum.   Today I only have a small inventory of the shoddier brands.  [Yes:  Jiminez JA-22.  Sorry.]

Now:  OPD only removes handguns from a registered owner's list when that same handgun is registered to an entirely different owner's list.

I wonder if the Mainstream Media Folks have all the difficulties with the First Amendment that we Honest, Law-Abiding, and Nice-Looking Gun Owners have with the Second Amendment........?    They should.   Their Amendment is far more dangerous to Some Folks than ours.

Just Sayin'..........

sfg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:00:17 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »
DanW, et.al:

Perzackly and Precisely One of the Reasons Why I Register Handguns w/OPD, even though holding NE CHP:
Registration provides Irrefuteable Official Proof of Ownership, Available by Immediate Electronic Inquiry to LEOs.

Registration  has always eventually  led to confiscation... a receipt,  not so much
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 04:14:18 PM »
Registration  has always eventually  led to confiscation... a receipt,  not so much

Yes.  The relevant factors involved here have been carefully weighed and considered.

Here's the Analysis:

[Very Low $ Value of My Guns] X P[Confiscation] = Not Much Money

Plus...advance hints of confiscation are usually apparent:  record weather emergency, political upheaval, or Hillary Clinton spotted deplaning at Eppley Airport.
==================================
In which case, there's a Forum Member around here who famously puts all his guns in his Tippy Canoe each time he goes fishing.  In the event of impending concern, I plan to go fishing with him, guns and all.
==================================

:P

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »
A lot depends on who is working the counter when you go in to OPD Headquarters.

This is most definitely true.  Last gun I registered (there's only 2 of them, and I couldn't remember procedure from the first one).  Had to go at 11 at night, don't remember reason why, just remember if I didn't do it at 11, it would be a long time before I could register it.

Put the gun in the trunk of my car, went down there.  Felt a little anxious about bringing an unloaded, cased gun into police headquarters, so I called, asked if they needed the gun.  Guy on the phone says no.  Walked in, talked to the counter guy, essentially got called ignorant because I didn't bring the gun in.  Informed him I had literally just called before getting out of my car to walk in and been told I didn't need to bring it in.  Thankfully, one of the other three guys behind the counter kind of sheepishly raised his hand and said he told me that.

Walked out, got the gun, came in, and proceeded to get grilled about why I was in there at 11 at night to register it.  My smart ass response was something like "well, because I can."

Definitely wasn't a positive experience.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
Definitely wasn't a positive experience.

Our Government at Work.

Whenever I've been asked "Why do you want to own this gun?", my response is always:

BECAUSE I WISH TO.

sfg

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »
I had to register my first pistol, a 1911 in 1973 ,  and that was the last one,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
DanW, et.al:

And you can't lose it.   In fact, you can't hardly ever get rid of it.

...<snip>...

That reminds me. I've been looking for an answer on this for a couple of years. If you've registered and moved are you supposed to re-register a concealable firearm with the city of Omaha?

I called downtown on two different occasions and got two different answers. Does anyone know? It's been awhile since I read back through the municode, but the language seemed a bit ambiguous so I called trying to get clarification.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found the answer to my question: https://library.municode.com/ne/omaha/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIIMUCO_CH20OF_ARTVIIWE_DIV2FIRE_S20-257RE

Sec. 20-257. - Revocation.
A firearm registration may be revoked when:

(a) The applicant or registrant fails to hold all of the qualifications set forth in section 20-253 of the Omaha Municipal Code; or (b) The information furnished on the application for a firearm registration was false or misleading or no longer continues to be true.

Lame...say someone has 10 handguns and moves, that's $150. Might as well get the CCW permit and thumb one's nose at Omaha.

That's why I have some firearms that are registered with Omaha. Then I have others which were private sale and reside somewhere else and will never set foot in the city.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:00:31 AM by BranchMillardian »
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »
If a gun is transferred to a new owner through an Omaha dealer, does that dealer register the gun with the city, and does that meet the requirement that a gun in the possession of a non-permit holder be registered with the city, or must the gun be literally brought into the police station?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
If a gun is transferred to a new owner through an Omaha dealer, does that dealer register the gun with the city, and does that meet the requirement that a gun in the possession of a non-permit holder be registered with the city, or must the gun be literally brought into the police station?

haven't bought in Omaha, but looked at Sol's a couple of times, thought I saw something I wanted, so talked with the guy behind the counter (so take this with a huge grain of salt, I'm trying to remember a conversation with someone from about 10 years ago).  What I remember being told was that they would take my money, give me a receipt with the info on it, which I would then take to headquarters to register the weapon with.  They would give me the gun when I returned with the magical piece of paper issued by Omaha.

Part of the reason that I've never bought a gun inside Omaha city limits through a dealer.  Didn't feel like making multiple trips to the store to get something I had bought.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
What Hilowe relayed is correct.    To expand, if you bought the gun from a dealer inside Omaha city limits, you must take the little paper form from the dealer to OPD to register and then return to the dealer to pick up the handgun after registering it.  If you purchase from a dealer outside of Omaha city limits, they will not accept that form and you must take the handgun down to OPD headquarters to register it.  I know first hand they will not accept that form from a dealer outside of Omaha.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
What Hilowe relayed is correct.    To expand, if you bought the gun from a dealer inside Omaha city limits, you must take the little paper form from the dealer to OPD to register and then return to the dealer to pick up the handgun after registering it.  If you purchase from a dealer outside of Omaha city limits, they will not accept that form and you must take the handgun down to OPD headquarters to register it.  I know first hand they will not accept that form from a dealer outside of Omaha.
Ain't life grand in Nebraska?  Good life?  Not 2nd amendment wise.  LB 68 isn't perfect, but we need to support it vigorously, Hint, Hint................... Might need more to show up to testify.  or just sign in.  We're going to need all the help we can get.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:38:07 PM by Les »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
So just to be clear, I could transfer a handgun to a person through an Omaha dealer, and that dealer would give the person a receipt, and he could take that receipt to OPD and not have to bring the handgun in to get it registered; is this correct?

I'l be happy to testify on LB 68 when the time comes.  I had planned on just moving to another state, but decided to stay here because I have family here.  But I will be moving out of Omaha.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
You are correct:
The transferee would first take the bill of sale/transfer paperwork w/handgun info on it:

Manufacturer
Model
Caliber
Serial Number
Finish/Color
Barrel Length

to the Omaha Police Department, 15th and Howard Streets.   Parking in front and across street; some is metered.   Take quarters.  Don't park in Police or Press parking spots.

Handgun must be unloaded (no ammo anywhere) and in a carrying case that is not concealable, according to the OPD website instructions.   Although they do typically accept standard handgun rugs and plastic cases.   Better to leave magazines home; clearing process is easier.

Go in front door and up to window.   The guys behind the glass will instruct you from that point.
You'll have a short form to fill out and sign w/typical questions.   Cost is $15/gun, unless you show CHP; then it's free.  Take cash.  Can register up to three (3) guns per visit, No More.  Guns will be handed over to OPD Clerk through bottom part of glass window.  Small guns fit better.

Take your driver's license and NE State Issued Blue Firearms (Handgun) Purchase Permit for ID.  Or CHP if you want free registration.

You will receive a signed, printed cardboard tab registration receipt, about 1-1/2" X 5".  GUESS WOT.....!   That tab receipt is supposed to be with the handgun at all times, carried in your wallet.

The whole process is relatively painless, except for the sheer indignity of having to register a handgun that is "protected" by the 2nd Amendment.   Some protection.

That's about it.   Just did it yesterday.

sfg

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
Ditto to what SemperFiGuy says. The few handguns I keep in Omaha were bought out of town, and that's how I had to register them.

I think I'm done with that lunacy though, I moved recently and now I'll just get the CCW permit at this point...which I still think is stupid that we need it. I'm more free wandering around when in KS or AZ.
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
So just to be clear, I could transfer a handgun to a person through an Omaha dealer, and that dealer would give the person a receipt, and he could take that receipt to OPD and not have to bring the handgun in to get it registered; is this correct?

I'l be happy to testify on LB 68 when the time comes.  I had planned on just moving to another state, but decided to stay here because I have family here.  But I will be moving out of Omaha.

Since LB-68 is out of committee and will be debated on the floor in the upcoming session of the Unicameral, the best way to share would be for you to share your testimony with us. We will then provide your story to Senator Mike Hilgers (or feel totally free to share it directly with him). He is leading the LB-68 bill and was able to share stories we collected by those effected by these inane city ordinances during the debate.  They were powerful because so often our elected 'leaders' attempt to state that these small infringements are not so big a deal for the law abiding to deal with when compared to the "awesome crime reducing' impact they have on those who are not law abiding... because you know... those non-law abiding folks will obviously choose this one ordinance or another to comply with and give up on their criminal life style as a result. 
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
because you know... those non-law abiding folks will obviously choose this one ordinance or another to comply with and give up on their criminal life style as a result.

That made me Laugh  :laugh:
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »
update?

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
update?
We are waiting for this to come up on the agenda for 2nd round debate.  Because it is early in the session the speaker is scheduling a lot of carry over bills for from last year that have not had 1st round debate yet.  Once all new bills have been introduced, directed to committee and some bills start coming out of committee they should start scheduling more bills ready for 2nd round debate.