< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Church Security Seminar and Workshop  (Read 2023 times)

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
Church Security Seminar and Workshop
« on: December 09, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
Security in an Unsafe World Seminar and Workshop (4 hrs)

Objective: For the student to learn the basics of awareness and protection concepts and apply these concepts to their church environment and daily lives.

Target Student: Current or potential security team members, pastors, church administrators, church staff, security personnel and law enforcement officers.

Format: Classroom and hands on.

Fee: $50 per student. Minimum of 10 students to hold the class. Seating is limited. Payment due at beginning of class.

Admin: To register email codyblocker7@gmail.com. For more information or questions visit us at www.avoidthefight.com

Where: Christ Place Church 1111 Old Cheney Rd, Lincoln, NE 68512

When: Sat Jan 27th from 8:00AM-12:00PM

Mindset and Awareness (classroom 1 hr)
How to personally cultivate situational awareness and apply it to your daily life and work environment.

•   Situational awareness
•   Cooper’s Color Codes
•   OODA Loop Theory
•   Combat Stress and Sympathetic Nervous System Response
•   Combat Breathing
•   Combat Mindset
•   Violence and The Attack Pathway

Behavior Recognition (classroom 1 hr)
How to notice normality and abnormalities in public environments and what to do once an abnormality is recognized.

•   The Emotions on their face, The Clothes they wear and The Things they do
•   Baselines and anomalies
•   Facial recognition concepts
•   Pre-indicators of violence
•   Personalities of social groups

Security Team Operations (classroom 1 hr)
How to “think like the enemy” and implement protection concepts for you and your organization.

•   The 3 levels of church security
•   The 5 steps of security team implementation
•   Armed team administration requirements
•   Point of contact (POC)
•   Chain of command (COC)
•   Span of control (SOC)
•   Training program recommendations and industry best practices
•   Protection concepts (Circles and Zones)
•   Table top exercises

Auditorium and Large Venue Protection Concepts (auditorium 1 hrs)
How to reasonably respond to abnormalities in large venue settings.

•   Case Studies
•   Use of force continuum
•   Placement recommendations
•   Levels of disruption
•   Ask, Tell, Make
•   Time and distance drills
•   Scenarios
•   Students will be given a list of free and purchasable training resources, books and training materials that they can access on their own time to continue learning about these concepts.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:18:43 AM by citizen »

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Church Security Seminar and Workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:25:14 PM »
Firearms, concealed carry, and details of NE State Statute 69-2441 will be covered.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
My guess here is that your organization is sending out mailers to pastors on these workshops.

If not, it's EZ to obtain church/pastor names/addresses and mail them out.  Might just stimulate some response, given the way the news reads these days.

I sent a msg to my own pastor offering to help organize a security team for our church.   Under consideration.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »
Yes, word is getting out to as many churches as possible. Mostly through the Midwest Church Security Coalition but I thought I'd advertise it here too, in order to reach as many networks as possible. Thank you for passing the word along.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
Is this class geared to any specific denomination or size of a church? I have a friend who is very active in a small church and the recent shooting shook him up a little.  He asked for my input and I think this would be a great resource for information. His church is LDS, and I know very little about their views on these things , so I did not know how to advise him.

If a church refuses to allow conceal carry for its congregation, would this still be an appropriate course? 

Thanks for your input

JC
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
No, this material is not for any specific type, size or denomination of church. Violence is random and can happen in any size church, in any size community (not just the big ones, like we recently saw in Sutherland Springs, TX).

Yes, it is still very relevant for a church that does not allow CCW. Most of the material does not deal with firearms, although we do cover that issue. But most of the churches that have attended these in the past do not utilize CCW. So it is for everybody.

I'm sure you're friend will find it very beneficial. Thanks for spreading the word.

Great questions, thank you.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
I would imagine that pastors and their elders, deacons, etc would want to know what is involved regarding a church insurance policy that covers an incident should it occur at their church. Will there be information that will address that topic from your experience with other churches who have armed security teams? And the same probably goes for insurance coverage for each member of the church's security team (i.e. would the church's insurance policy also cover its security team members?).
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
Yes, insurance will be addressed. How the church's insurance covers the security team (even if they are volunteers). And we'll go over options for the individual as well. Someone serving their church in an armed capacity should have both. We've done extensive research on what the options are for best coverage.

Great questions. Keep em coming.

Thanks for spreading the word. Class is filling up.

Offline R.Schoening

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
This is another solid one, I sent you a PM, but wanted to ask here as others may have the same question considering the proximity to the state line(s)...

I've had a few folk ask me about security teams for their church, they are in Iowa...does the content in this course apply across state lines / in states other than Nebraska?

Thanks again!
- Rob

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »
Certainly. We'll be focusing on Nebraska when it comes to state statutes and firearms, however the majority of the content is focused on "church" and what should be done at a church and what should be done at a church, regardless of the state. We'll be focusing on the basics to get a security ministry started and will be some good training for anyone who is already working on a security team or looking for a guideline on how to begin one. Firearms and an armed team is a critical tool to have in that tool box, but it is just one tool. The majority of our time will be spent on other tools that can apply to any state.

thanks for the question

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
Since I'm getting a lot of questions about his I thought I would address it here.

Yes, this workshop is specific to churches. However, the content is focused on mindset, awareness, what to look for and the ability to make decisions under stress or faced with an unexpected threat, while you're contained inside a public space. The material can be applicable to any other building, event, work environment or any other place. Whether you are a lone CCW or working as part of a team on any sort of assignment. So anyone who has the mindset to be a protector, a guardian, a sheepdog or just simply being smart and being prepared would benefit from the content.

If you're on here and feel that someone in your church leadership would find this beneficial, please pass the information along to them. Or if your church is looking for someone to begin a security minsitry at your place of worship, that person may be you. My resume is always available upon request if anyone has any questions. I am always available to meet with pastors and church boards to begin conversations.

For those churches out there that do not protect their flock with some element of protection, you are not just behind the curve, you are not even in the game. The world and culture is changing faster than most can keep up with it. So we must continue to train and proactively figure out how to stay ahead of the bad guy. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst. Someoe has to do it.

take care and stay safe,

hope to see you all there

Cody
www.avoidthefight.com