< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed Carry Backpack  (Read 2226 times)

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
Concealed Carry Backpack
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
Let me start by saying I’ve been a bicyclist for longer than I’ve been a concealed carrier.  I have been tossing around the idea if I need to conceal carry at all, so I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to make the concealed carry move.  My question is, or what I’m looking for is a “small backpack” to use/have while bike riding.  I’m not looking for a sling backpack, I’d like an actual 2 strap backpack.  Would the gun shows or Cabela’s have something like this?  It doesn’t have to be a bicycle specific backpack, just something in general.  We have lots of those string bags as they call them at home, but I don’t want my keys, wallet, & cell phone all jangling around with my concealed carry gun, I’d like a separate compartment for my gun.  Thank you for reading and for your input.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Concealed Carry Backpack
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
Yes, something like that but preferably smaller (if at all possible).

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
I don't have any links, but you should check out LAPG for your pack needs.

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
Thanks “on the fritz”, will do.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:14:26 AM »
Maxpedition gear is pricey but very  good especially the  ccw storage and access type gear   

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/pygmy-falcon-ii-backpack?variant=39055809361
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:24:56 AM »
Maxpedition gear is pricey but very  good especially the  ccw storage and access type gear.

Ditto on this ^^^^. Maxpedition makes pretty much every size, shape and configuration imaginable.  I love their stuff.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:29:29 AM »
One option might be what is called a fanny pack.  I've seen quite a few of those designed with a holster, and you will find many of them available on the internet, made by reputable companies. 

They aren't very common though and I think the reason for that is that somehow that kind of pack became associated with the homosexual community.  But that subject was being discussed on a gun thread I was on a few years ago and an admitted homosexual came on and said he never saw one carried by a member of the community.  So I don't know how or why they came to be called fag bags, but I don't think they are worthy of the name.

That kind of pack is smaller, and it will be faster and easier to access your gun because of the way it's carried in front instead of on your back.  If you need your gun chances are you will need to get to it in a hurry.  How quick could you get to one being carried in a backpack?  Could you get to it if you were on the ground wrestling with an aggressor whose assault came suddenly and without warning?

What is called off body carry is not the best method of carry in some of our opinions.  The more common type is carry in a purse by women (or a man purse).  It's just too likey that an unauthorized person will get access to your gun if you carry it that way.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/12/31/the-inside-story-of-how-an-idaho-toddler-shot-his-mom-at-wal-mart/?utm_term=.64ca2ff9dbde

I carry my gun in a strong side hip holster hidden by my shirt or jacket when I ride a bike and it works fine. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
^Ditto^ on the "fanny pack"  That's what I'm looking for now that I am back to having a decent bike to ride come spring. You could actually get too your firearm while on the bike. 
Otherwise, currently I carry my pea shooter .380 in a front pocket holster.  Get to able, but not quickly. Cargo shorts/ pants might make that better.   
* Disclaimer*  Obviously we only ride said bikes on public roadways, since PUBLIC bike trails in Lincoln are part of the Parks system and Lincoln Park are "No Carry Zones"  ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »
Would a small front chest pack work?  It would have a separate holster area and places for your ID, keys, etc.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
When I carry concealed while cycling, I do so in a 5.11 HolsterCrewneck or similar. If you absolutely have to carry in a pack, look into the 5.11 COVRT 18. It has a carry compartment accessible from either side. I have one you can check out in person if you're in Omaha.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »
I use a fanny pack. My wallet, phone, keys and weapon are all in separate compartments.