< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The Decline of Outdoorsmanship  (Read 1913 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
The Decline of Outdoorsmanship
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »
I perceive there to be  decline in general outdoorsmanship, and  I do not think it is restricted to the newest generations ..... I remember camping as a kid in the 1970's..... we did not have electrical hook-ups ..... we were happy if there was a pit toilet and a handpump within walking distance ..... one of the first things us kids got detailed to do was find rocks to make the fire ring...... now the State, or the Feds, or private entity running the "campground" provides water, sewer, electrical, hot showers ..... some have laundromats for pete's sake ..... every convenience provided for a price ..... for what it costs to "camp", one could rent a house in a small town in this state ..... "outdoorsmanship" always implied learning and practicing outdoor skills .... there is just not a lot of that going on these days ..... I watch these giant land yachts roll in, self level , an old fat guy totters out, hooks up his 50 amp cable, hooks up his water (and in some places,  his sewage), and then spends a few minutes figuring where his portable satellite TV dish gets best reception ..... goes back inside and you won't see him outdoors again until he comes outside to reverse the process when he leaves ..... and the checks for my hunting licenses, tags and parks sticker funds this "campground" ...... 

It seems most people, not just "Millenials", are just too willing to rent an easy button, and challenging themselves to learn new things is just too hard.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:36:50 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: The Decline of Outdoorsmanship
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:47:55 PM »
I agree... when I was a boy the Boy Scouts taught me  camping skills, outdoor cooking, fire making, tying knots, canoeing , carving and whittling with real knives, shooting real rifles  and archery skills, as well as fishing and introduction to hunting

We also learned winter survival skills at the annual Freezeree campout and many other skills at the summer camps each year.

Too bad that kind of hands on training has been lost to political correctness, gender identity indoctrination  and the mistaken belief by parents that todays boys can't safely deal with such dangerous activities
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
OH MY GAWD! DON'T GET ME STARTED with the Scouts.
As for the OP.  For giggles follow Facebook pages like Nebraska Camping and RV - https://www.facebook.com/groups/569942093118055/
Seems like RVs are all the rage now days. There were actually people on there B%#$# up a storm because there was a big puddle of water alongside their parking pad after a big rain one weekend and were wondering who to call to get it drained away!  That's just one example that comes to mind.

I remember, when I was with the Scouts, one mom asked if they could bring their camper on an campout. I said sure, but you park it at the other side of the lake!

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
..... and the checks for my hunting licenses, tags and parks sticker funds this "campground" ...... 

Not exactly. If you want to camp primitive, they have a place for you to do that. If you want to have full hook ups, you can do that as well and you will pay for the services daily. Just because someone does not want to do it the hard way does not make them any less deserving than you to enjoy OUR state parks. I have the money for a camper and I enjoy camping in it. I can go lay on the ground in the rain any time I want to, doesn't mean my wife and kids want to. ;D Most of the time we use ours as a hotel when we have to travel somewhere because someone has invited us for something. Does not make us lazy or less outdoorsy. While we would be money ahead to stay in a hotel, we prefer our own camper.  Generally we use ours from March to November with or without elec and/or water. Food for thought.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:32:19 PM by Mntnman »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Look up GLAMPING. It's popular.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:27:55 PM »
 a lot of the kids just arnt interested, I bought my 3 grandkids fishing poles and a tackle box full of stuff. they went once, wouldn't go again. and there is a lake 200 yards from my house.   they do like to shoot,  keep trying to get oldest grandson to help reload, he will deprime cases at the gun show,

kids just aint the same, unless they can set on there butt and play a video game or play with there phone, they arnt interested,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:55:56 AM »
Now 66 I have 7 grandkids ranging from 7 to 15, all of them inseparable from their cell phones. After confiscating their phones, when camping (yes I have a cushy RV, but the kids sleep in a tent) I make sure that they build a fire without the use of charcoal fluid. The older boys are learning that cooking over a fire is both fun and challenging. Fishing will not keep their interest unless you have fish that bite every 30 seconds. Shooting with a 22 pistol at balloons has become the thing that has created a bit of competition between them which has led to the 2 oldest boys becoming deer hunters. There is hope for some. And yes, when they camp around Omaha they have pizza delivered to the camper.   

Edit to add. They know that when camping with us, if you can't cook you don't eat.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:05:41 AM by Mark B »