< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: One in the pipe?  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
One in the pipe?
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »
Yesterday I attended the monthly NFOA breakfast gathering (which, if you have never been there, is a great chance to meet others in the area and talk so many things, not just firearms)  and had a great discussion with Greybeard regarding carrying with a round in the chamber and carrying without a round in the chamber. We both agreed that we would rather carry loaded since it means we get rounds on target faster, but when I saw this video I had to the additional evidence.

I would never speak ill of those who do not carry with one in the chamber as carrying is a personal choice but I would point to the evidence that carrying with one in the chamber makes a difference.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: One in the pipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:25:22 PM »
I struggled with that very question for a while before getting the CHP, now it's a foregone conclusion.  No reason not to, I've found those who choose not to carry with a chambered round are fairly new to the game.  Although, your mileage may vary.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »
I struggled with that very question for a while before getting the CHP, now it's a foregone conclusion.  No reason not to, I've found those who choose not to carry with a chambered round are fairly new to the game.  Although, your mileage may vary.
Les, I think you have hit the nail on the head. So many of those who will argue with me about carrying fully loaded are usually newer to the carry life. Generally, after we talk about it a while it really comes down to them not being comfortable with the way they carry or draw/holster and are concerned about putting one into their leg/butt cheek/privates. I can respect that and will always say... Practice more, dryfire is your friend.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
Any discussion on this topic is always useful.  Even though it will never "resolve" the issue.

I ED-carried empty chamber in a semi-auto for years.   Was then able to relax while dining out with my Luvly Wife; the handgun muzzle would be sometimes pointed in her general direction as I shifted body position.  No way that a round could ever fire.

A bit of carpal tunnel syndrome has made racking the slide more problematic.   So I shifted carry guns to an LCR .327FedMag 6-rd revolver.  Pull-point-shoot.
------------------------------------
Regarding the above demo video:
  Always interesting to watch another instructor work his magic.   His setup nicely illustrated the differences in the two carry methods.

If that target were a real-world perp with a knife, seems the sensible thing would be for the shooter to be moving while drawing in order to maintain a spatial separation.  (You know:  Run Like Hell.)   Plus it would serve the Nebraska Duty to Retreat statute.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
if some one is going to car jack you at a stop sign , or while getting in your car in a store parking lot ,or rob you walking down a sidewalk .. their not going to start talking **** or show you their gun from 21 feet away lol .. more like 1-7 feet and good luck drawing a gun on some one that all rdy has a gun out .... unless they are robbing you with a empty gun your going to be shot (or shot at) first... if they do the shirt lift to show you their gun tucked in their waist while asking for your wallet etc.. that's another thing .. you may have time then.

but i do agree! it takes more time with an empty chamber
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »
Endless (and Interesting) Topic with Many Endless Branches.

Winter Time:
Bundled up in a Big, Fluffy Zipped-up Winter Coat,
All Seat-belted in..
Howya gonna draw from IWB...??  (round chambered or not.....)

And on and on.

Lots to think about (and practice) after CHP comes in the mail.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »
I think his draw was noticeably slower in the unchambered draw. Maybe not the 2 secs ...but slower than the chambered draw.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
One of my first posts (maybe my very first post!) on this very forum over 10 years ago now.... had me grappling with this very thing ..... I've gotten over the fear ..... listened to more experience people and learned ..... still carry a 1911 ...but with one in the pipe the pipe, Cocked and Locked, the way John Moses Browning intended....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
If you chose to carry without a round in the chamber, adjust the 21 foot rule to the 21 yard rule.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:37 PM »
Carrying without a round in the chamber is like taking a shower wearing a rain coat. Empty chamber? The last sound you hear will be the racking of your slide.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »
I've been carrying with a round chambered since day one.  But I have to admit that some carry methods did make me more nervous about it than others.  It kind of depends on what's in front of the muzzle.  But as long as the trigger is covered by the holster and I follow established safety rules I'm not nervous with a round in the chamber even when the muzzle is pointed at my wee wee.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »
carrying without a round in the chamber is like....

driving a car and thinking you can put on your seat belt before a wreck.

cooking and thinking you can run to walmart and buy a fire extinguisher when you need one.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
I ED-carried empty chamber in a semi-auto for years.

Men of a Certain Age need to be careful of the acronyms. It took me a minute or so to figure out that ED stands for “Every Day”.  :laugh:

How’s that .327 LCR?  All it’s cracked up to be?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
...ED stands for “Every Day”.

OTOH, It could be sorta like "LIMP-Wristing."   Just Sayin'.............

.327Federal Magnum/LCR:

Love the gun.  As stated above, I had some slide-racking issues.  Looked for solutions, as usual
Heard of the .327FM.  Hard to find.   Really hard to find at a decent price.  Lots of them listed at $589.   Being a Terminal Tightwad, I pounced on one around $400.  (You won't ever want to sell a gun to me.)

Here's What I Like:

>LCR Platform.  Perfect pocket carry.  No hammer.  No edges.  Great feel.   Slips slickly in and out of pocket.  Very compact.
>6 rounds, not 5.
>2" barrel surprisingly accurate.   
>Hogue Tamer grips fit my hands; absorb recoil.
>Can load lite .32S&W Long cases w/DEWCs, shoot practice all day.  EZ on hand and wrist.  At least three good factory SD loads are available.

In the past I've carried:
9mm Kahr PM9
.357SIG Glock 33
.22MAG Ruger LCR  (No Commentary Allowed Here)
.22LR Beretta 21A (Shaddup!!!)

And will probably be carrying the .327FedMag for a while.

FWIW

sfg

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 11:55:22 PM »
The only time I do not carry with 1 in the pipe  is when armed with a double barrel shotgun, or 2 or 4 barreled derringer.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
..... still carry a 1911 ...but with one in the pipe the pipe, Cocked and Locked, the way John Moses Browning intended....
I'm more comfortable with a cocked and locked 1911 than with a striker fired gun whose only safety is something inside the trigger. When I draw a 1911, the thumb safety doesn't come off until the muzzle is pointed down range and it goes back on before I reholster.

I follow Grant Cunningham's blog. Recently, I e-mailed him to ask about front pocket carry. Specifically, muzzling everyone who walks in front of me while I'm seated. His reply was that, as long as the trigger is protected, the gun is safe and I needn't worry. He added that, in public, you will end up muzzling someone no matter how you carry. At matches, I carry OWB at 3 o'clock with a 15° cant. During one match, I cautioned the timer to stand behind my left ear instead of my right. If I carried that way in public, my muzzle would be pointed at the person behind me when I climbed stairs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:45:46 PM by Kendahl »

Offline Nettles

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
I follow Grant Cunningham's blog. Recently, I e-mailed him to ask about front pocket carry. Specifically, muzzling everyone who walks in front of me while I'm seated. His reply was that, as long as the trigger is protected, the gun is safe and I needn't worry. He added that, in public, you will end up muzzling someone no matter how you carry. At matches, I carry OWB at 3 o'clock with a 15° cant. During one match, I cautioned the timer to stand behind my left ear instead of my right. If I carried that way in public, my muzzle would be pointed at the person behind me when I climbed stairs.
I think you’re misapplying the rules a little. First, they apply to handling the gun, not its orientation at every moment.  If they did, the only solution would be to destroy every gun—even a gun in a safe in the basement is most likely going to point at someone the next floor up once in a while.  But unless your gun is an absolute piece of trash, you can trust it to not discharge unless the trigger is actuated. Since one of the basic requirement of a holster is ensure the trigger can not be actuated, as long as you have a decent quality gun in a decent quality holster, you can treat it more or less like a gun in the safe, and not worry about its muzzle orientation until you’re handling it.

Second, the rules are deliberately redundant.  No one can be accidentally hurt unless at least two of them are broken simultaneously. I’m not saying that means we should ignore the rules at any time, but that obsessing over any one is misguided.  If you apply them all with deligence, and know when breaking one is acceptable (not to be taken lightly), you’ve got nothing to worry about.

I’m a little curious as to how tall you are, that a 15° cant comcerned you about muzzling a range officer standing behind you. Sure, billet splatter is possible, if your gun rides at, say, 40” from the ground and points 15° backward, that makes its POI during drawing and tejolsteribg (a valid concern—you’re handling, not just carrying holstered then) is just under 11” behind where it would impact if pointed straight down. It might break a match’s 180° rule, but I’ve got to wonder how close the timer is standing...

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
I'm more comfortable with a cocked and locked 1911 than with a striker fired gun whose only safety is something inside the trigger.

Striker fired handguns like the Glock, Smith and Wesson MP, and Kahr's (to name a few) will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. 

When the trigger is pulled the striker is pulled back and then released , just like firing a double action revolver.  They also have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from being able to contact the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

With external safeties, like what is on the 1911, there is always the potential for the safety to be accidently disengaged for various reasons.

John K

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
You can't fire a Taurus PT-22 without a round in the pipe, literally.  It has a along trigger pull as well.  No chance of it going off in your pocket.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »
You can't fire a Taurus PT-22 without a round in the pipe, literally.  It has a along trigger pull as well.

Once you try to hand-rack the slide on one of those little Mouse Guns (Taurus PT-22, Beretta 21-A),
then you realize why the gun has that Barrel Flipper Lever Thingie.

sfg