< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gotta Watch That Big Mouth  (Read 883 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Gotta Watch That Big Mouth
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
Please allow me to call your attention to:
Nebraska Statute 28-311.01  Terroristic threats; penalty

A Young Man I know quite well is now serving TWO YEARS for shooting...............Off His Big Mouth.
He had no firearm anywhere on or near his person.   Just made some careless remarks about shooting someone.   Loose talk.  No physical action taken a-tall.

The pre-trial process took an entire year, meanwhile he and his family agonized daily.
After he pleaded "No Contest" the judge announced the sentence:   Two Years.   For spoken words.  No one was ever touched.  I watched his face contort and the tears flow as the handcuffs were applied.  And no goodbye hugs to the family.  Led off in cuffs. 

He's in Lincoln now undergoing the assessment process.  Great Train Wreck for not just him, but a whole lotta folks.

No need to prove Intent to Follow Through on the threat.  Nor does the victim actually need to feel fear.   In this case, there were not even any witnesses to what was said.

Moral:  Armed or not, it's never a good move to utter words that can be considered threatening.  At least, in Nebraska.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:49:07 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer