< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anybody roll their own .327Mag?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Anybody roll their own .327Mag?
« on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
  Have gun, dies, brass, bullets, primers (small rifle is required for full house loads, as I understand......) ..... but there is a dearth of data ...... what powder should I try first?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Anybody roll their own .327Mag?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »
JimP:
I'm guessin' you're talking about the .327 Federal Magnum.
Great cartridge.   I've switched my EDC to a Ruger LCR in that caliber.  The Perfect EDC Carry Gun.

And I'm sure by now you are well aware that these calibers:
.327 Federal Magnum
.32 H&R Magnum
.32 S&W Long
all can be used in the same handgun.

Lot to talk about here; can't put it all in one post.  But let's start.

Self-Defense:
First, my recommendation would be to simply use off-the-shelf SD-HP factory ammo in .327 Federal Magnum for self-defense.  There are several excellent factory loads.  We could get into it deeper later, but right now I'd suggest simply buying standard SD ammo from the LGS and use it for EDC.  Biggest problem is finding a store that has it in stock.

Range Practice:
Now, for practice shooting, my recommendation would be to simply buy a box of .32 S&W Long range ammo, shoot that up, and then reload it as .32 S&W Long.   Won't break your shooting hand off at the wrist; has very light recoil.   Excellent practice ammo.   And there's plenty of reloading data around for the .32 S&W Long.  If you want, come back here on the Forum and we can talk about it some more.   

So that's MyThink in a nutshell on the Marvelous .327 FM for right now.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:27:34 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:21:37 PM by Kendahl »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I have the Carry gun covered.... this is just a for fun gun..... 4” sp101, all steel with a full underlug, so recoil is not really an issue..... though I did pick up some 32 H&R Mag  brass ( cheaper and sturdier than the S&W stuff) for lighter loads....  I already stock 100 grain XTP’s for another gun, along with small rifle primers..... have some H110, too.... guys on TFL  are suggesting AA#9...... anybody seen that powder locally?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.