< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Handgun purchase in Iowa  (Read 2672 times)

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
Handgun purchase in Iowa
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
So I have a burning question, my wife and I were wondering if we go to Iowa to buy a handgun “can I legally register it in Nebraska” and “how do I legally register it in Nebraska”?  Most people will say you have to have it shipped by or to an FFL, I would be buying from a single individual Joe Shmoe, so what’s to say I just pay for the firearm and bam, he hands me the gun and sends me on my way and skipping the FFL?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Handgun purchase in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »
BigD75:

If caught, very serious federal felony. 

Compare to $15-20 for your friend to send the handgun to a Nebraska FFL by common carrier.
Then $20 for the transfer.

FWIW

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
So whether I buy the firearm from an Iowa dealer or an Iowa resident, I still have to go through an FFL to get my firearm I purchased in Iowa as a Nebraska resident?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »
Yes:   Through a NEBRASKA FFL dealer.  
The Iowa seller can ship directly to the Nebraska FFL IF that NE FFL agrees to accept the direct shipment from the Iowa owner (some FFLs will only accept interstate handgun transfers from out-of-state FFLs, but that's overkill and not required by federal law.)

And there's more:
YOU as the Nebraska buyer must have either (a) a current Nebraska Firearms Purchase Permit [Blue Card] OR (b) a current Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit.

Please note that the penalties are something like 5 years in the Graybar Hotel in Leavenworth (if you're lucky enough not to get sent way off somewhere else) and up to $250,000 in fines. 

It.........Just........Ain't........Worth...... The.........Risk.....

And only takes a coupla days to transfer the handgun.

sfg
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:40:03 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »
One More Item:

You will not need to actually "register" the handgun in Nebraska unless (a) you live in Omaha and (b) do NOT hold a current Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit.  If both (a) and (b), then the handgun must be registered with the Omaha Police Department.

Moral:
  Best to obtain a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit.   Around $100-125 for the NE CHP class and another $100 for the Nebraska State Patrol to process the application.   Then a few weeks (up to 45 days) for the permit to arrive at your house by mail.

The "Blue Card" is usually issued by your County Sheriff's Office while you wait.   Cost is $5 bucks.
You could get the Blue Card right now so that you can legally receive transfer of the handgun right away and then get the NE CHP later at your leisure.

sfg

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:52:37 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:08 PM »
So other than the following that you have notated (which I appreciate), what are the benefits to buying a firearm in Iowa (other than you like it because it looks cool), sending your firearm to an FFL is the correct procedure, however it sounds like a pain in the arse, I want my s..t now.??

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:28:07 AM »
There is no benefit to buying a handgun in another state, long guns, I believe, have different rules  for contiguous states (shared border)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
So other than the following that you have notated (which I appreciate), what are the benefits to buying a firearm in Iowa (other than you like it because it looks cool), sending your firearm to an FFL is the correct procedure, however it sounds like a pain in the arse, I want my s..t now.??

One benefit of purchasing a handgun from out of state might be that it's a model that you cannot find anywhere locally, i.e., in your own state of residence.

Another possible benefit is that the total price, even with shipping and FFL costs, is the lowest that you have found anywhere else.

And a federal judge agrees with you about the PITA factor:

http://www.guns.com/2015/02/12/federal-judge-interstate-handgun-purchase-bans-are-unconstitutional/

But until this issue works its way through the courts, it is best to do all interstate firearms transfers in a most "squeaky-clean" currently-lawful manner.   It's only a few buck$ more and a coupla days more time. 

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:17:15 AM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
Not legal to take possession of any firearm from an out of state of your residence source without going through a FFL dealer in your state for handguns or ffl dealer in any state for long guns.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »
Not legal to take possession of any firearm from an out of state of your residence source without going through a FFL dealer in your state for handguns or ffl dealer in any state for long guns.

Cuz, you know, common sense!  :P

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:58 PM »

Wrong. Dan W is correct.

https://www.ffl123.com/ffl-sales-contiguous-states-sales/

In 1986, the provision of the GCA was amended regarding the sale or disposition of long guns to residents of contiguous states. The provision now allows FFL dealers to sell or dispose of long guns to any resident of any state (not just contiguous) as long as (1) the transferee meets in person with the FFL dealer to actually perform the transfer; and (2) every part of the sale (sale itself, delivery, and receipt) fully comply with the laws surrounding gun sales in both the buyer’s and seller’s states.
It’s important to take a look at your state’s laws. Despite this update in the GCA, some states have not changed their laws to reflect the update. The most stringent law must be followed when comparing state and federal laws, therefore; if the wording of your state’s law specifically prohibits FFL dealers from making a sale and transferring a long gun to a resident of a non-contiguous state, that must be followed. However, if your state’s wording allows FFL dealers to make a sale and transfer of a long gun to residents of a contiguous state (and doesn’t say anything regarding non-contiguous states) then the state law also authorizes FFL dealers to sell and transfer long guns to residents of non-contiguous states.
D.R

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
If you would read again minus the spelling error I said from any FFL dealer in any state is good for long guns.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline DanS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »
Reminder, 4Aces Pawn in Omaha has $10 FFL transfer fee. A friend living in Omaha has used them 2x for receiving guns bought onlne, and bought a handgun or two from them. I warned him about the area of town not being like the area he lived in, but he never mentioned that he had bad vibes walking out of the place of business to his car with his new gun in a bag.

No, I dont work for them. Just a heads up to save a few bucks.