< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Camping  (Read 2070 times)

Offline APF1013

• NFOA Full Member
Nebraska Camping
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:46 PM »
Hey everyone.  I am looking to go tent camping the weekend of April 13th.  I would like to stay within 4ish hours of Omaha if possible.  I would like somewhere that is near a lake for good fishing, but I don't want it to feel like a city park like Branched Oak does.  Any suggestions?

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Nebraska Camping
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
Indian Cave, south of Nebraska City, and Ponca, northwest of Sioux City. No fishing at either unless you can fish the Missouri River.

Summit Lake, west of Tekamah, has camping and many people fish the lake.

Whiterock Conservancy, south of Coon Rapids, Iowa. Campsites surrounding the Starfield Campground are back in the trees. No fishing at all.

Smaller campgrounds and fishing at Czechland Lake, north of Prague, Homestead Lake, west of Prague, and Timber Point Lake, southeast of Brainard.

Our reason for going to these places is to get away from city lights for astronomy. We don't fish. We used to tent camp but now we sack out on a mattress in our van for a few hours so that we don't fall asleep on the way home after a late night observing. Before going, I recommend you look at them with Google Maps in satellite view.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:17 PM »
Check out Memphis State recreation area near Ashland

http://outdoornebraska.gov/memphis/
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »
WildWood lake- just spit north of Branched Oak.  That has been our go-to place for years.  Great fishing (a little lite if a tournament went thru a few days before), no wake lake,  Tent camping (free), a little bit of trails. and a perfect little spot under a couple cottonwoods to chill out.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
WildWood lake- just spit north of Branched Oak.  That has been our go-to place for years.  Great fishing (a little lite if a tournament went thru a few days before), no wake lake,  Tent camping (free), a little bit of trails. and a perfect little spot under a couple cottonwoods to chill out.
Pretty good fishing, and ticks abound.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:56:07 AM »
Lots of places!

Close to Omaha:
1. Summit Lake
2. Wagon Train SRA
3. Willow Creek SRA
4. Lake Anita State Park (Iowa)

Offline APF1013

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
NE Bull, what is the camping like?  Are there spots or is it just set up wherever?  What about firepits, etc?  Thanks in advance.