< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Slide Fire ceasing operations May 20th  (Read 1846 times)

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
Slide Fire ceasing operations May 20th
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »
"On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at midnight CDT, Slide Fire will cease taking orders for its products and shut down its website.  Orders placed prior to May 20th, 2018 will all be processed and shipped.  We thank you for your support."

https://slidefire.com/
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Slide Fire ceasing operations May 20th
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:09:46 AM »
I'm not surprised since it's obvious that the ATF is going to class the slide-fire (aka bump stock) as a machine gun regardless of the fact that it isn't. All it took was an ADMINISTRATIVE re-definition of what a machine gun is and voila. It hasn't gone into law yet but even slidefire sees the writing on the wall. "Whadda gonna do?"
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:59:31 AM »
So, did you guys post a comment? You can post a new one every day.

Lawsuits are being formed as we speak. The FOIA documents that have been posted on arf are quite interesting.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:03:57 AM »
IMHO, the ATF has already made it's decision and it appears to me that they have refuted all valid arguments. The ATF is determined to ban the bump-stock due to political pressure - especially from the POTUS. So, I'm not going to bother with making comments that parrot what others have already stated. IMO, lawsuits are going to have to be done - good luck with that. Anyway, I was considering buying a bump stock but I'm not going to do so. Also, this issue has convinced me not to purchase a binary trigger because I think they're next on the list. All it'll take is for one bad-apple to do a mass murder with one and we'll have to kiss those good bye also. Since it's not likely there'll be any compensation if/when they're banned, I'm not going to spend the money. A bump stock costs a little over $200 when you add shipping costs but the binary triggers run around $400 or more. I'm sure that other gun owners feel the same as I do so sales for these items are going to plummet. It's too bad that all of us are "punished" for the actions of one person that commits this type of crime - 1 person out of 100 million gun owners - that's approximately 0.000001% of gun owners. I was saddened over the loss of life and injury of the Las Vegas shooting but only that one person is responsible for the illicit use of a firearm. And that has been the only incident since the bump-stock was introduced. And who's to say that the LV shooting wouldn't have been just as deadly without a bump stock?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:38:33 AM by eelstrebor1 »
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
IMHO, the ATF has already made it's decision and it appears to me that they have refuted all valid arguments. The ATF is determined to ban the bump-stock due to political pressure - especially from the POTUS. So, I'm not going to bother with making comments that parrot what others have already stated. IMO, lawsuits are going to have to be done - good luck with that. Anyway, I was considering buying a bump stock but I'm not going to do so. Also, this issue has convinced me not to purchase a binary trigger because I think they're next on the list. All it'll take is for one bad-apple to do a mass murder with one and we'll have to kiss those good bye also. Since it's not likely there'll be any compensation if/when they're banned, I'm not going to spend the money. A bump stock costs a little over $200 when you add shipping costs but the binary triggers run around $400 or more. I'm sure that other gun owners feel the same as I do so sales for these items are going to plummet. It's too bad that all of us are "punished" for the actions of one person that commits this type of crime - 1 person out of 100 million gun owners - that's approximately 0.000001% of gun owners. I was saddened over the loss of life and injury of the Las Vegas shooting but only that one person is responsible for the illicit use of a firearm. And that has been the only incident since the bump-stock was introduced. And who's to say that the LV shooting wouldn't have been just as deadly without a bump stock?

so, since you think the ATF has made up their minds, you won't fight it?

and lawsuits won't work, so you won't fight or chip in the lawyer costs?

you won't buy an accessory because they might be next banned?  what about AR pistols/braces? what about shouldering a pistol?  might as well sell all your 12 and 20ga shotguns b/c without the "sporting clause" they are Destructive Devices.

but the price for a bumpstock/binary trigger is yes, crazy.

yes, its sad that we as gun owners are punished by the acts of others, but gun owners not fighting back is punishing all of us all over again and again and again.

if you won't fight, who will?  the NRA?  ha!  they are one of the reasons we are in this mess.

i, for one, will fight.  whether its comments, lawsuits, voting, etc.  i will not stop.

Offline Nettles

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
All it'll take is for one bad-apple to do a mass murder with one and we'll have to kiss those good bye also.
I don’t think they’re going to wait for that excuse...

As I understand it, it hasn’t even been confirmed that the idiot in LV used a bump stock. He had at least one rifle equipped with one, but we just don’t know. I happen to think he probably did use it. I also happen to think a lot more people would likely have died he NOT used it.  But the people behind this push aren’t concerned with that, they’re just terrified at learning such a thing exists.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »

You're exactly right, in fact I think we should just shut down the NFOA and hand in all our guns. No sense fighting for anything anymore.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »
You're exactly right, in fact I think we should just shut down the NFOA and hand in all our guns. No sense fighting for anything anymore.

I never said that and you and the other guy are letting your emotions get the better of you. If you read my post again, you'll see that I basically said that you're wasting your time with the comment period and that we should be looking at lawsuits now. Good luck with that. The Akin Accelerator ran into a similar problem where it was originally OK'd by the ATF but later the ATF did a 180 and changed their opinion that said it's a machine gun. A lawsuit was filed and Akin lost. But, it's possible that we can go to court and get the ATF action overturned in regards to the bump-stocks. I don't know if we can come up with enough bucks to challenge this in court but I wouldn't be averse to trying. I'd rather have a machine gun than a bump-stock or binary trigger though.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:27:03 AM by eelstrebor1 »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »
I never said that and you and the other guy are letting your emotions get the better of you. If you read my post again, you'll see that I basically said that you're wasting your time with the comment period and that we should be looking at lawsuits now. Good luck with that. The Atkin Accelerator ran into a similar problem where it was originally OK'd by the ATF but later the ATF did a 180 and changed their opinion that said it's a machine gun. A lawsuit was filed and Atkin lost. But, it's possible that we can go to court and get the ATF action overturned in regards to the bump-stocks. I don't know if we can come up with enough bucks to challenge this in court but I wouldn't be averse to trying. I'd rather have a machine gun than a bump-stock or binary trigger though.

Ok. Guess I missed read it. I'm all for a lawsuit, Nolo on arf is a lawyer and his firm is working on it now. it'll be interesting to say the least.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
you won't buy an accessory because they might be next banned?

If it's probable that it'll be banned then I'll spend my money elsewhere. I can't afford to waste $400 for a binary trigger if I'm going to have to destroy it within 5 years. Besides, there's nowhere around here to fire a weapon that's so equipped.

if you won't fight, who will?  the NRA?  ha!  they are one of the reasons we are in this mess.

Your right about the NRA. I can't understand why they are telling the ATF that these should be regulated. The NRA certainly isn't being pro-2A on this issue. I wonder if they polled their 5 million members to get their opinions before making such a statement. If they did a poll mine must have been lost in the mail. I'll remember this the next time they ask for donations or when it comes time to renew my membership.

i, for one, will fight.  whether its comments, lawsuits, voting, etc.  i will not stop.

As I have already stated, I won't waste my time with the ATF comment period. I have written to Congress and my state legislator to express my opinion, also. I have even sent an e-mail to POTUS. None of them responded as to whether or not they support a ban. Since I got no definitive reply , I'm assuming that they're in support of the ban. I'll remember that in the next election. As for lawsuits, I'll contribute even though I'm a retiree. It would certainly help us if we had the backing of the NRA but in light of their public statements I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:49 AM »
The ATF comment period is not a waste of time...it is part of the rule making requirements and not taking advantage of your chance to record your objections only weakens the people's voice...I would compare it to not voting just because you dont like the options.

Unfortunately too many are looking at this like we have already lost, when in reality if every gun owner were to submit an objection the ATF would be overwhelmed with the requirement to read each objection and report the real consequences of the proposed rule and how the people really object to its adoption as well as the monetary cconsequences which by law must be considered and the true number of citizens the rule would effect.

You are free to do as you wish but don't  ask me to condone such a defeatist attitude
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 06:57:56 AM »
You are free to do as you wish but don't  ask me to condone such a defeatist attitude

Amen
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
Since slidefire decided to close it's business rather than take legal action, what does that tell you? If we can successfully challenge the government, who's going to build new bump stocks?  Since it's patented, the patent owner is going to have to transfer or license the manufacturing of new bump stocks to someone else - that is if someone else wants to pick up the ball and run with it. But, if we lose the battle, then the other devices will eventually succumb to the same fate. I don't like to be negative but I'm being realistic.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »
Hmm, turns out that one doesn't need a bump stock to do bump fire. I'll have to try some of those techniques. But, I hope the ATF doesn't ban pants with belt loops since that's one of the techniques used to bump fire. I've seen bump fire done without assistive devices also.

And I've seen a video where rapid fire of an unmodified semi-auto AR15 (fast pulls and releases of the trigger) was compared to a semi-auto AR15 equipped with a bump stock, simultaneously. There was less than a 1 second difference in firing 10 rounds.

And I saw a video interview of one of the senior ATF agents, that OK'd the bump stock back in 2010, that said that legislative action by Congress, not a regulatory process by the ATF, is necessary because the ATF is trying to change the definition of a machine gun as defined in the NFA. I'm not a lawyer but can you say "legal challenge"? Probably won't make a difference except more taxpayer dollars being used to defend against such challenges. The argument that's being made to support the attitude that it's a machine gun is that it it takes just one pull of the trigger to start the repetition but on the other hand the trigger has to be reset and then pulled again to keep the process going. Is that one function of the trigger or multiple functions? Bump fire isn't as easy as it looks because not many of the people in the videos could consistently keep the rifle bump firing.

And the research continues........
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:37:17 PM by eelstrebor1 »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »
I am about as interested in complying with new gun regulations as the Feds and many state Govts are in complying with Amend 2.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
We actually posted a video on this a few months ago and showed that it is more technique than equipment.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
From what I've seen in the above video and the online videos and then comparing to what I heard in the LV videos, I have serious doubts that the LV shooter used a bump stock. The cadence in the LV video sounds too uniform to be bump firing. But, in the governments infinite wisdom, we don't need bump stocks or any machine guns ("thank" you Ronald Reagan and NRA). It doesn't matter that bad people do bad things with these weapons, the government (aka politicians - regardless of political affiliation) says we don't have the right to own one - of course, there are a few civilians that don't think we should have them - there are quite a few that don't think we need a semi-auto either. I don't really need a home computer either but I have one for fun, entertainment, and conducting personal business. But, mostly for fun and entertainment - just like firearms. I don't need computers, firearms, televisions or even cellphones but I want them. So, needing something is rarely a consideration. Oh well, what can one do except complain and file lawsuits? BTW, you, heh, need to shoot the video in a less noisy location for the commentary in the above video.