< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Primary Election May 15, 2018  (Read 2307 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Nebraska Primary Election May 15, 2018
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:59 AM »
Who's ready for the Primary Election?

I am doing my research.  Its pretty easy when many of the Dem and Rep candidates tout gun control.

Here's where I am getting my info and links to candidate websites....

https://ballotpedia.org/Nebraska_elections,_2018

there's lots more.  get to Googling!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Nebraska Primary Election May 15, 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
Watson for Senate

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
Watson for Senate

that's who i'm going for.... even though I'm a non-party voter.

Jack Heidel and Dennis Hacek are pro AWB.  that's a big no-brainer.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I've been so busy I almost forgot. 

I always recommend getting yourself and every loyal American of voting age you know set up with an absentee ballot, because it makes voting so much easier, and therefore more likely, especially for those who have jobs, live out of town, or have a hard time getting around (like elderly parents for example).  If anyone does it for this primary election they have to get it mailed or emailed no later than May 4th at 6 PM.  If you miss that deadline, you still have plenty of time to get an absentee ballot for the election.

In Douglas County you can request an absentee ballot either by going to the Election Commissioner's office at 225 North 115th Street, or by sending them a written request.  The request has to include your name, address, date of birth, and signature.  I sent mine, as per the instructions they gave me, by writing it on a piece of notebook paper, taking a picture of it with my smart phone, and sending it via email to this address: earlyvoting@votedouglascounty.com.  Then they mail you a ballot.  Easy peasy.

Any questions, their phone number is 402 444 8683

I'm sure it's just as easy in any county.  Let every loyal American you know how easy it is, because there is always a smaller showing than there should be, and doing it from home by mail removes any reason not to vote.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »
Last time I checked, someone that registers as "non-partisan" or independent can't vote in the primary. That means I can't vote in the primary.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Last time I checked, someone that registers as "non-partisan" or independent can't vote in the primary. That means I can't vote in the primary.

Me too. Former DemRat, I'll NEVER be a Repug. (Sorry, I've known too many...I was friends w/ some pretty prominent ones in this state and they ruined me. :-) )

It's not true in this state, but fun fact to drop on people; "What is the largest registered voter party, nationally speaking?" http://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
Me too. Former DemRat, I'll NEVER be a Repug. (Sorry, I've known too many...I was friends w/ some pretty prominent ones in this state and they ruined me. :-) )

It's not true in this state, but fun fact to drop on people; "What is the largest registered voter party, nationally speaking?" http://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

yea that's a gallup poll. I wouldn't trust them if they took a poll and determined that it was dark at nite
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »

That's not entirely correct. Independents can vote in the primaries:
- if there are nonpartisan ballots included (amendments, special issues, local boards, etc.)
- for state legislators (since the Nebraska legislature is officially nonpartisan)
- by request, for federal-level Senate and House races for one party (e.g., you can specifically ask for a Republican or Democratic ballot for the U.S. Senate and House)
- for state- and local-level candidates on the Democratic side (the Nebraska Democratic Party opened up their primaries to independents in 2014; the Nebraska Republican Party still requires you to register as a Republican)

Here is the Douglas County sample primary ballot. Notice the last page includes "Nonpartisan Republican," Nonpartisan Democrat" and "Nonpartisan Libertarian":

http://www.votedouglascounty.com/elections/2018/Primary/P18SampleBallot.pdf

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
yea that's a gallup poll. I wouldn't trust them if they took a poll and determined that it was dark at nite

Point taken.  ;D

However:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/05/5-facts-about-americas-political-independents/
https://ivn.us/2013/06/18/independents-exceed-party-registration-in-5-states/
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/2014/03/17/arizona-voter-registration-independents/6526385/

The reality is both mainstream parties need to either adapt or reach extinction phase, just like the Whigs, Federalists, etc. I don't feel particularly represented with either an "R" or a "D" by my name, I don't believe I'm in the minority either.
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
this is the first election that i will be voting as a No Party voter.  i changed it when i moved.  i will ask for the Republican ballot and see how it goes.

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
this is the first election that i will be voting as a No Party voter.  i changed it when i moved.  i will ask for the Republican ballot and see how it goes.

Ugh, looks like #metoo...I was going to ask for a DemRat ballot and vote against Ashford, then against Eastman and for Bacon in the General, but I can't even do that in good conscience. She's worse than Ashford, if you can imagine. Sheesh.
---

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
I don't feel particularly represented with either an "R" or a "D" by my name, I don't believe I'm in the minority either.

Same here.  I was an 'R' for 21 years, until mid-2016 (I'll let you guess why).

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »
I was registered Independent for years. I switched to Republican because i got tired of not being able to have a say in the primary.

Todd Watson for US Senate
Taylor Royal for Nebraska State Treasurer
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
Thanks to a post on Facebook leading to a voters guide I discovered someone is actually on the ballot for State Senator who is not Matt Hansen.  That's about all I know about  Bob Van Valkenburg.  Alas it looks like I'm forced to either not vote or to vote for Fortenberry. Yuck.

Todd Watson for US Senate
Taylor Royal for Nebraska State Treasurer
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
Van Valkenburg is a Veteran, Republican, and Pro 2A.  Hansen is Pansing Brooks/Moreld/Chambers clone.  And yes ... "The Fort" is still around and still doing nothing for Nebraska .... uggghhhh ...