< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Networking Opportunities  (Read 2343 times)

Offline bowenusmc

• NFOA Full Member
Networking Opportunities
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »
I am looking for some opportunities to network with range owners in the Omaha area. I am interested in getting more information on what it would take to get into the business from those who are already in it.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Networking Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:29:10 AM »
Are you in Omaha? If so, I doubt that too many will provide details to a potential competitor.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
I am interested in getting more information on what it would take to get into the business from those who are already in it.

NRA holds an annual Range Development and Operations Conference.   A most useful 3-4 day event for range owners and wannabees.   Scores of range owners show up, discuss latest in legislation, equipment, facilities, profit opportunities, safety, etc..  Many, many outstanding presenters and topics.   And--of course--there's a ton of vendors of range equipment and services there.  Bring an extra case to carry the samples and literature.

You might want to call Eric Whitescarver, Manager at:  https://rangeservices.nra.org/.
Eric and his organization can provide various levels and kinds of NRA support for current and prospective range owners.
Remember:   No Shooting Ranges = No Shooting Sports.

I have enjoyed these conferences and also the Range Technical Team Advisers' meetings that are held coupla days prior for experienced NRA Members who wish to serve as RTTAs.

FWIW,
sfg
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:33:20 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
I would encourage you to do your due diligence and demographic study as there are 6 (Six) Indoor Ranges in the greater Omaha area .... 5 (Five) which have opened in the past 2-3 years. A seventh was pending until those folks noted reality.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:07:13 PM »
*cough* Norfolk *cough*
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bowenusmc

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:41:25 AM »
I would encourage you to do your due diligence and demographic study as there are 6 (Six) Indoor Ranges in the greater Omaha area .... 5 (Five) which have opened in the past 2-3 years. A seventh was pending until those folks noted reality.
That is part of what I am doing now...gathering info. I thought it would be helpful to reach out to people who are already in the business and just get to know them.

Offline bowenusmc

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:43:20 AM »
You might want to call Eric Whitescarver, Manager at:  https://rangeservices.nra.org/.
Eric and his organization can provide various levels and kinds of NRA support for current and prospective range owners.
Remember:   No Shooting Ranges = No Shooting Sports.
sfg

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Once upon a time I was attending a really large, all-conference trap meet with my son. Got there good and early and pulled into a parking spot. About an hour later I saw from afar that a guy was double-parking behind me but he proceeded to start to work the event.  “No problem,” I thought to myself, “he’s a volunteer here so I can track him down later in the day if I need him to move.”

Eventually, Later In The Day rolled around and I went to the clubhouse to see if I could find the fella. I spoke to a lady there and told her I was looking for the guy. She asked me to describe him. I told her everything I knew, giving lots of detail as a joke... Older white guy, maybe 60-65 years old. Driving a late 90s Chevy pickup with rust over the rear wheel wells. Portly. Slouchy posture. Gray hair. Grizzled beard. Tattered old cap. Plaid shirt. Jeans kinda falling down with his gut and butt cascading over his belt. Not particularly friendly looking.

She just looked at me for about ten seconds then said, completely seriously and mostly to herself rather than to me, as if she’d just been struck by some horrific revelation, “You know what? That describes all of them.”

I could say similar things about a lot of the gun shops / ranges that have popped up around the country in recent years, but the fashion and demographics would be different. If shotgunners are a bunch of old curmudgeons, the guys with the black tee shirts and cargo pants wanting to open up their range called Elite Tactical Zombie Shooter Readiness Solutions suffer from stereotypes (and insider-only jargon) of their own.

I’m not saying the market is / isn’t 150% saturated. Maybe it is. But My point is I don’t see a lot of creativity or diversity being exhibited to lure new shooters into the sport.

This isn’t true just of the gun biz. It happens with everything all the way down to the lowly cupcake. Places like Magnolia in New York or Georgetown Cupcake in DC start a huge trend and get national attention, with lines of customers around the block. Next thing you know, everyone is copying them. A decade later here in Podunk, Nebraska, people are still saying, “oooohhhh I’ve heard cupcakes are a big thing, maybe I’ll open up a cupcake shop.”  Twelve months later it folds.

Nearly all gun shops / ranges are “good” just like nearly all cupcakes are tasty. Ho hum. I can make my own cupcake at home, and I can find the cheapest prices for a gun by doing a gundeals dot com search. A paper target 15 yards down range looks the same no matter where I’m shooting it. So as far as getting into an already saturated market, what ideas do you have that are unique and revolutionary? What generational or social niche will you cater to that others currently don’t? Those ideas probably need to be your own or you’ll just be a clone of your competitors.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:16:39 AM by ILoveCats »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
I alwuz thought the Bullet Hole in Omaha was very innovative.
Sorta on the cutting edge of all that was Brannew and Sparkly.
Lotsa Things to be observed and learned while there.

Especially while they were the only Indoor Gun Range in town.

sfg
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:09:42 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
*cough* Norfolk *cough*

Town of ~26,000, presumably with no modern ranges, and lots of neighboring small towns with gun-friendly, red-state values and interests?  Sounds like a good idea.

I’ve often wondered why nobody starts up a modern gun “club” much anymore. Some place that’s family friendly, with a clubhouse that’s more than a roach-infested shanty.

Golf people have “clubs” that they can go to for food, drink and socialization.  Tennis people have their clubs as well. Gun people need more clubs. Sophisticated enough that you could take the family for dinner or get a good cocktail. Welcoming enough that it’s inclusive for all. A nice, well-maintained property with a combination of indoor ranges plus some outdoor trap and skeet houses.

Shake up the stigma that gun people are either old farts with one foot in the grave, or badass types with tactical goatees. 

At least, that’s my fantasy if I win the lotto.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
 you want a sure fire way for a indoor range to make money and draw people, 

you need a 100 yard indoor range for rifles. the first person who does this is going to  be busy as hell,

I get 10% cut for the idea!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bowenusmc

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »
@ILoveCats you are absolutely correct in your statement that any idea for ANOTHER range in this town has to bring something new and innovative to attract shooters...otherwise why even bother. This is an idea that I have been tossing around for a few years in my head and I just wanted to see what networking opportunities/resources were available if a guy wanted to attempt to get into this business. I do like the idea of bringing a "club" type of atmosphere into the picture. The Bellevue Rod & Gun club comes to mind for a *similar* environment. Nice buildings, outdoor rifle/pistol range, trap and skeet ranges, etc. something to attract people to become members of something and not just another customer. While I have a goatee it is far from "tactical" and I prefer a pair of Levi's over cargo pants and drop leg holsters (I must not be that cool).

@shooter - Yes that would be a great thing indeed!

I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
Town of ~26,000, presumably with no modern ranges, and lots of neighboring small towns with gun-friendly, red-state values and interests?  Sounds like a good idea.

I’ve often wondered why nobody starts up a modern gun “club” much anymore. Some place that’s family friendly, with a clubhouse that’s more than a roach-infested shanty.

Golf people have “clubs” that they can go to for food, drink and socialization.  Tennis people have their clubs as well. Gun people need more clubs. Sophisticated enough that you could take the family for dinner or get a good cocktail. Welcoming enough that it’s inclusive for all. A nice, well-maintained property with a combination of indoor ranges plus some outdoor trap and skeet houses.

Shake up the stigma that gun people are either old farts with one foot in the grave, or badass types with tactical goatees. 

At least, that’s my fantasy if I win the lotto.

When I first moved, I went to a gun show and talked to several people. They said Norfolk tried to open one, but it just fell through. Lots of farmland, but not much access. I see posts every week on various Facebook groups asking for places to shoot around Norfolk. If I won the lottery.......
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »
I worked with a guy that wanted to do a 100 yard range in town. His idea was to build the 100 yard range underground using large sewer pipes. Sounded like a good idea when you think of bench rest shooters trying out a new load or a deer hunter sighting in before deer season.

But then you get "Bubba" wanting to see how many times he can hit the target with his new AR/AK by bouncing rounds off the walls. Others bubba wannabe's trying out shooting positions they saw in a movie etc.

Makes you wonder why anyone would open a range  :o

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
We could all chip in and buy Hornady.
ALL of Hornady.

They have a 200yd underground range at their Grand Island facilities.
With lights, of course.
And not really much in the way of crosswind.

But then, it's gettin' so I can't see that far any more.
Anyhow.

FWIW,

sfg

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 07:56:17 AM »
But then you get "Bubba" wanting to see how many times he can hit the target with his new AR/AK by bouncing rounds off the walls. Others bubba wannabe's trying out shooting positions they saw in a movie etc.

Makes you wonder why anyone would open a range  :o

This is why I fantasize of a shooting club with some reasonable standards. 

You can use my 100 yard indoor range and have a world class martini afterwards.

But you have to be wearing a dinner jacket.

And you have to speak The Queen’s English properly. Anyone who says “I seen...” will be shown the door.

Did I mention this is more of a fantasy than a bona fide business model?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »

Omaha has a couple gun clubs. Each has its own personality - just like golf clubs. I'm a member of one of the two clubs. Rarely do I find more than one or two other members in the members-only area when I stop in. Generally, I pull out the bottle of bourbon and the bottle of single-malt scotch that I keep there when I'm around (not a martini fan). I don't wear a dinner jacket, though.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
Anyone who says “I seen...” will be shown the door.

Which is altogether quite proper usage in my ancestral Ozark haunts.

As in:

"Ah just seen a whole big hoot uh revenooers a-comin' up Vinson's Branch.  Ah heerd they wuz comin' from over around Dry Valley.  You-uns better hahd th' still 'til they-uns git gone."

Oh...the linguistic purity of that rich, lush Scots-Irish.........  [Yes...some St. Louisans will say, "Hillbilly."  But those are just City Folks...]

Coming as I do from such cultural richness, it is difficult not to be a slight bit snobbish.   And these people DO NOT shoot indoors, except to settle accounts in feud.

sfg