< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Grand Island police carry AR15 at school yesterday.  (Read 3855 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Grand Island police carry AR15 at school yesterday.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 07:32:57 AM »
not to mention that NE CCW permit holders can have our concealed handgun in our vehicle while in the parking lot of a "school gun-free zone".
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »
not to mention that NE CCW permit holders can have our concealed handgun in our vehicle while in the parking lot of a "school gun-free zone".

I was wondering about that, does this include Elementary schools? It seems that at the time, folks were talkin more about colleges. And can state law trump a Federal law? I am asking because my kids are sorta getting tired of walking all the way to the street and halfway down the block because " daddy can't park in the school parking lot"   ;) :(
How would I find the written law? As they school in Omahorn, I want to be sure it's all on paper.

Also on school violence and Russia, LT. COL. Dave Grossman once had either a video interview or article about this very subject.  For the life of me i can't find it now, but the basic point was that the terror in Russia was basically a "dress rehearsal" for terror attacks in our American schools. If anyone else can find this article or video, it's very eye opening!

Although I till think GIPD might have been 'showboating' a bit, I DO think we need to step up security in our schools.  My kids have been moved thru quite a few schools systems(ex likes to move), and for the most part I have been able to walk into any of them and roam around looking for either the bathroom or the office, without any faculty questioning me.
Most have a sign on the door stating that all visitors must report to the office and sign in for a badge. They also have cameras, but I'm not for sure who is watching them. I believe our school officials mean well, but I sometimes worry about it all.
 I have wondered of late, if the school boards would be interested in volunteer security in the schools, such as CHP holders with some extra training, such is offer by places such as D-TAC, and others. As I work nights, I would happily do this a few hours a day, maybe early morning and dismissal time. And feild trips, especially. All plain clothed and concealed, of course, so as not to alarm the sheep. I'm not for sure about Nebraska, but in Kansas , as I understand it, faculty can carry if it is authorized by the school board.  Just not sure how to approach the subject and with whom.

Sorry for ramblin, but sometimes my soap box needs danced on. And I have a habit of thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:40:36 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
Here is the answer to LEOs carrying on school grounds...

28-1204.04. Unlawful possession of a firearm at a school; penalty; exceptions; confiscation of certain firearms; disposition.

(1) Any person who possesses a firearm in a school, on school grounds, in a school-owned vehicle, or at a school-sponsored activity or athletic event is guilty of the offense of unlawful possession of a firearm at a school. Unlawful possession of a firearm at a school is a Class IV felony. This subsection shall not apply to (a) the issuance of firearms to or possession by members of the armed forces of the United States, active or reserve, National Guard of this state, or Reserve Officers Training Corps or peace officers or other duly authorized law enforcement officers when on duty or training, (b) firearms which may lawfully be possessed by the person receiving instruction, for instruction under the immediate supervision of an adult instructor, (c) firearms which may lawfully be possessed by a member of a college or university rifle team, within the scope of such person's duties as a member of the team, (d) firearms which may lawfully be possessed by a person employed by a college or university in this state as part of an agriculture or a natural resources program of such college or university, within the scope of such person's employment, (e) firearms contained within a private vehicle operated by a nonstudent adult which are not loaded and (i) are encased or (ii) are in a locked firearm rack that is on a motor vehicle, or (f) a handgun carried as a concealed handgun by a valid holder of a permit issued under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or on a vehicle into or onto any parking area, which is open to the public and used by a school if, prior to exiting the vehicle, the handgun is locked inside the glove box, trunk, or other compartment of the vehicle, a storage box securely attached to the vehicle, or, if the vehicle is a motorcycle, a hardened compartment securely attached to the motorcycle while the vehicle is in or on such parking area, except as prohibited by federal law. For purposes of this subsection, encased means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.

And here is the law regarding CC permit holders being on school grounds with their concealed handgun...

69-2441. Permitholder; locations; restrictions; posting of prohibition; consumption of alcohol; prohibited.

(1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.

(3) A permitholder carrying a concealed handgun in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or on a vehicle into or onto any parking area, which is open to the public, used by any location listed in subdivision (1)(a) of this section, does not violate this section if, prior to exiting the vehicle, the handgun is locked inside the glove box, trunk, or other compartment of the vehicle, a storage box securely attached to the vehicle, or, if the vehicle is a motorcycle, a hardened compartment securely attached to the motorcycle. This subsection does not apply to any parking area used by such location when the carrying of a concealed handgun into or onto such parking area is prohibited by federal law.

As far as the school security, we've got that all taken care of in Lincoln.  They have hired a person to sit at the door to take names, ask your purpose for visiting, and hand out "Visitor" badges.  Last time I went to my son's middle school, they did all this, but they never asked for an ID.  Then I was free to roam the halls.  Ok...maybe we haven't thought this out completely, but the intent is there.  For those that can't tell, yes I am being sarcastic.  Problem is there are plenty of parents who would buy this as an acceptable solution, but this process won't even provide the police with a valid name after the crime is committed.

Fly
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:31:17 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
I wrote to Marty Conboy on this subject about picking up kids from school or attending school events and he wrote:

"You can have the gun in a vehicle but not outside.  Ideally it would be stowed, especially if you are not in the vehicle, due to thefts at such events.  If the gun remains out of sight in the vehicle, it is not in violation"

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
I wrote to Marty Conboy on this subject about picking up kids from school or attending school events and he wrote:

"You can have the gun in a vehicle but not outside.  Ideally it would be stowed, especially if you are not in the vehicle, due to thefts at such events.  If the gun remains out of sight in the vehicle, it is not in violation"

Am I misunderstanding the law or is that a pretty liberal interpretation by Marty?  It seems the intent was to have the firearm locked up (in a lock box, the trunk, glove box, etc.) even if the vehicle itself is locked.  Or is the intent just to lock it in your vehicle?

Fly
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:14:05 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »

I was wondering about that, does this include Elementary schools? It seems that at the time, folks were talkin more about colleges. And can state law trump a Federal law? I am asking because my kids are sorta getting tired of walking all the way to the street and halfway down the block because " daddy can't park in the school parking lot"   ;) :(
How would I find the written law? As they school in Omahorn, I want to be sure it's all on paper.

Every day I drop off or pick up kids from 3 different schools here in the Bellevue area, and I am usually armed.  But I also don?t get out of the car, and have had school administrators tell me that they need to talk to me about this or that, but I tell them I can?t leave the car and why.  You get some serious looks when you tell school folks these things, and I even had one run to the school resource officer to tattle.  The resource officer knew better, and told her that as long as I was in my car and had a CCW there was no reason to be upset, everything was legal.  The officer didn?t even come over and talk to me. 

That last part kind of depressed me, I always enjoy a good conversation guns.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX