< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Police Deptartment Gun Amnesty Day 26 May  (Read 1617 times)

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha Police Deptartment Gun Amnesty Day 26 May
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »
According to the WOWT 6 News Website.

"Omaha Police Department is partnering with Eagle’s Nest Worship Center for Gun Amnesty Day on Saturday, May 26 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Eagle’s Nest Worship Center, 5775 Sorensen Parkway.  No compensation will be given for the firearms turned-in."

I imagine they would not appreciate any of us showing up offering to buy the guns.

John K

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Omaha Police Deptartment Gun Amnesty Day 26 May
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »
They should set up a booth next door where books and other literature containing forbidden thought can be turned in, no questions asked.  The forbidden thought would include racism (i.e., not seeing the white man as inferior), sexist pigism, heterosexism, NRAism, capitalism, Christianity, Constitutional fundamentalism, and other forbidden thought.  Books might include the Bible, the Constitution, history books that have not been sanitized of forbidden truth, and so on.  This way our big brother could protect us so much better.  But I guess maybe we aren't ready for that level of protection yet.  Not to worry though; I have no doubt a time will come when we are.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
They should set up a booth next door where books and other literature containing forbidden thought can be turned in, no questions asked.  The forbidden thought would include racism (i.e., not seeing the white man as inferior), sexist pigism, heterosexism, NRAism, capitalism, Christianity, Constitutional fundamentalism, and other forbidden thought.  Books might include the Bible, the Constitution, history books that have not been sanitized of forbidden truth, and so on.  This way our big brother could protect us so much better.  But I guess maybe we aren't ready for that level of protection yet.  Not to worry though; I have no doubt a time will come when we are.

You really need to run for mayor.  Not kidding.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »
You really need to run for mayor.  Not kidding.
Thanks for the vote my friend, but I don't think a known thought criminal like me would have much of a chance.  I'm moving to Arizona though, pretty soon (already bought a house there).  Better weather and lower taxes (between state income tax and property tax I'll save over $6000 a year moving there, and that's a lot of money to a working man like me).  And the gun laws are better there too.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
Thanks for the vote my friend, but I don't think a known thought criminal like me would have much of a chance.  I'm moving to Arizona though, pretty soon (already bought a house there).  Better weather and lower taxes (between state income tax and property tax I'll save over $6000 a year moving there, and that's a lot of money to a working man like me).  And the gun laws are better there too.

I've been toying with the idea of moving somewhere south myself. Being a retiree, I sure could use a break on property taxes. But, I need to find some place that's warmer but not so hot that you could cook eggs on the sidewalk. Or risk hurricanes. I still haven't found the ideal place to live. Costa Rica would be nice but it's difficult dealing with their customs and I'm not well-versed in Spanish. I think I can own firearms there but one has to be given a mental health test first - I'm not really sure if semi-autos are allowed though. It's tough getting a straight answer about foreign laws. But, I digress......
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
I know property taxes will drive me out as it has many others.  Total garbage, although I have a few years yet. 

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of moving somewhere south myself. Being a retiree, I sure could use a break on property taxes. But, I need to find some place that's warmer but not so hot that you could cook eggs on the sidewalk. Or risk hurricanes. I still haven't found the ideal place to live.

I spent quite a bit of time doing research to decide where I wanted to live, and came to the realization that there is something I don't like about every place on the planet, so it's just a matter of deciding what's most important to me.  I took a close look at states from Idaho to Kentucky to Colorado and several others, and ended up getting a place in a mountain town in Arizona called Payson.  The town is roughly the size of Scottsbluff.  It's 5000 feet elevation so it isn't hot like Phoenix, and it has some winter, just not a lot of it.  Low humidity was important to me and it has that.  It's surrounded by national forests, so there are plenty of places for hunting and target shooting and hiking.  You don't get into the desert environment until you go down into the lower areas; there are a lot of trees in and around Payson.  And if I want to go to a city, Phoenix is a little over an hour and a half away, and Flagstaff isn't much further. 

They tell me it's unlikely that you will get a deer permit in that state because there just aren't many deer, but there seem to be plenty of elk, and getting an elk permit is pretty likely.  I can deal with that.

One of the best sources I found in researching where I wanted to live is called Sperling's Best Places.  It's done by a writer who researches cities and towns and gives information on things like climate, crime rate, demographics (which seems to more or less parallel crime rate), and other things.  It is not always perfectly accurate so I used other sources too, but it's a good starting point.

https://www.bestplaces.net/

Edit to add these two useful sites:
https://taxfoundation.org/state-individual-income-tax-rates-and-brackets-2016/
https://taxfoundation.org/how-high-are-property-taxes-your-state/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:02:37 AM by depserv »

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
Last time I was in Omaha was last year's NGOA meeting. Can't remember last time before that.

The 26th I'll finally be taking a conceal carry class in Lincoln.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
The 26th I'll finally be taking a conceal carry class in Lincoln.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »
Class included Utah conceal carry.  Every one in the class had the same response to Utah gun laws vs Nebraska "I should move to Utah".
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
so back on topic did they say how many guns were turned in ? i have not watched the news to see ...
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”