< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: When did we have drive by shootings on snowmobiles?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
When did we have drive by shootings on snowmobiles?
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
Off all our screwy gun laws in Nebraska thats the one that  made me laugh when it came up in conceal carry class. Guns and snowmobiles are a problem?

I don't own a snowmobile so its not coming up.  But still.

"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Re: When did we have drive by shootings on snowmobiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »
It’s because they used to chase coyotes with them. Not the kind that traffic people...

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
My brother-in-law used to trap coyotes. Offered my a skin once. I declined.  Didn't know what I would do with it.

I do have  rattle from a rattle snake he gave me in a drawer some where. He has a grudge against them since one killed his dog.

"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
So.....
While teaching NE CHP classes, which require inclusion of the Guns-and-Snowmobiles Warning, several possible reasons for this special case were considered in the classroom discussions.

I decided to track down the official authentic origins of this rather odd legal requirement.  Figuring the NE Game and Parks folks were the logical originators, I called them down in Lincoln.   Talked to a Nice Lady.  Asked her.   Silence on the phone for quite some time.  Finally she sez:  "I don't really know."   More silence.   Then, "I'll let you talk to Old Roscoe.  He's been here forever."

Clikety-clik.  Phone transfers.   Old Roscoe gets on line.  I ask him same question.

Old Roscoe takes a very long time to respond.  Finally he sez, "It's Always Been That Way."

At which point I said THWI and directed my weary curiosity to the next item on the list.   (Which happened to be US Military Bugle Calls, as I sorta remember.)

FWIW

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
Kind of like no CCing while archery hunting....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Unfortunately, I have seen what they are talking about.  Half Drunk (oh you have to drink to hunt, right) idiots riding snowmobiles, pistol in hand, flying through the field trying to shoot the coyote caught between the skis at 30 miles per hour.  I have seen this more than once. Call Game Warden, he's 50 miles away, call Sheriff's office and they will contact Game Warden.   I have also seen this during late season deer hunting.  And, as usual instead of catching and punishing the bad ones, we will just make a law so everyone gets punished.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
And, as usual instead of catching and punishing the bad ones, we will just make a law so everyone gets punished.

Because as everyone knows, the way to fix people breaking the law is to make even more laws.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
I’m old enough to remember high dollar coyote hides and cheap, air-cooled John Deere Spitfire snowmobiles. Guys wouldn’t have to get many coyotes to pay for their new sled.

Times have changed. The law hasn’t. Maybe we need to fix that.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK