< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Where is the Killdeer Sight in Range?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline HarperHurst

• Forum Member
Where is the Killdeer Sight in Range?
« on: June 02, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:40:42 PM by HarperHurst »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Twin Lakes target shooting (Safely, that is.)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »
Take a little trip south to Killdeer and use our NE G&P/ NFOA "Sight In Range"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »

South?  By  Cortland?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:35:59 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
Killdeer WMA near Centerville, NE  - I can't post pic of map- google map it.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
South?  By  Cortland?
Check around Martell/Sprague

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
Check around Martell/Sprague

Ah, 2.5 miles north of Martell, at Killdeer Lake.

Offline bobby vance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:12 AM »
I went to Killdeer lake Saturday and there is a sign saying there is no target shooting allowed. Am I missing something here? Is there another area not at the main entrance?

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
I went to Killdeer lake Saturday and there is a sign saying there is no target shooting allowed. Am I missing something here? Is there another area not at the main entrance?

That's not good.
Is there any public places within 15 miles of Lincoln where someone can target practice?

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »

How about a Long & Lat listing?

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Killdeer+Lake/@40.6763891,-96.7811413,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8796eca6ec4bafbb:0xfead9186fd52aa11!8m2!3d40.676391!4d-96.7636317

Good to know exactly where it is in relation to Killdeer lake WMA and lake.  I searched the maps on Nebraska's Game and Parks sites

https://maps.outdoornebraska.gov/PublicAccessAtlas/
and on the Killdeer WMA it states:
Killdeer WMA
89.54 Acres in Lancaster County

Management: Wildlife Management Area

Species: Deer, Dove, Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit, Turkey, Waterfowl

Regulations and Information: No Target Shooting. Camping limited to three days in a six-day consecutive period

FOP-POA Area: Not Applicable
Apparently the left hand isn't talking to the right hand.   ::)

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:04 AM »
LOL yeah the No Target Shooting signs are still up at the entrance of the WMA. That's the Gubmit for ya!

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »
Well, I grabbed my .177 break barrel air gun and took my grandson to Killdeer to teach him how to shoot safely.
The map in a posting above pin-pointed the location to be about the middle of the dam on the East side.  We parked just North of the fence blocking vehicle traffic to the top of the dame.  My grandson and I walked the dam and didn't find any sign of any kind of shooting range.  I did find a lot of "No Target Shooting" signs all around.

He was sure discouraged.

We got back into the car to go home and on a lark I decided to follow the road farther into the WMA to see what was there.  That's where I saw the entrance to the one lane shooting range. 

In the first image the location of the entrance to the shooting range is marked by  the white arrowhead.
The second image shows the entrance gate.
The third image shows the shooting bench.

Unfortunately, the shooting range precludes the use of air guns unless they are high pressure.  I'm guessing the hold-over for a .177 cal break barrel would cause a ricochet off of the top of the tunnel.  My grandson and I will have to look elsewhere.  Perhaps someone who lives in the country nearby.   

The tunnel is of an excellent safety design which allows only one shooter at a time.  A steel baffle slides in front of the tunnel entrance, where the shooting bench is, and another baffle slides over the tunnel exit.  Between the tunnel exit and the targets is a small "building" made of  6"X6" railway ties with small 2' square windows on the south and north ends to allow the bullet to pass through.  Bullet holes near the top edge were not more than an inch in.  There are two target holders at the north end of the range.   After one finishes a round of test shots they'd slide the front baffle over the tunnel entrance.  Walking around the side of the concrete tunnel to its other end they'd then slide the second baffle over the tunnel exit, which  would prevent someone from shooting through the tunnel by sliding open the entrance baffle.  After checking and replacing the targets the shooter would walk back to the exit baffle and slide it open, walk around the tunnel to the shooting bench and slide open the entrance baffle, and resume her position on the shooting bench.

A sign on the railway tie structure between the tunnel exit and the targets forbids attaching targets over the south window on that structure, otherwise it would make a good air gun or hand gun target range.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:47:27 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »
More Killdeer photos.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:34:30 PM »
I callled the NE Game & Parks Ed Center near 48th & Superior and asked about my grandson bringing his own .177 air rifle.  No problems.  $5/hr for students.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Wagon Train SRA, a couple miles east and north of Hickman, posted information is contradictory so do your research but it seems it is
allowed north of Martell Rd.

Wagon Train SRA
456.00 Acres in Lancaster County

Management: Wildlife Management Area

Species: Deer, Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit, Squirrel, Turkey, Waterfowl

Regulations and Information: No Target Shooting. Dog training area; target shooting prohibited south of Martell Road and within 100 yards of any access road or parking or camping area.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.