< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Preparedness Groups  (Read 3686 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Preparedness Groups
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »
I am extremely underwhelmed with all of my immediate families mindset when it comes to being even somewhat prepared. 

Several of my closer friends have the mindset but take very little action to further become prepared for the unknown. 

I look around & realize that the average American is not ready to deal with any loss of critical infrastructure.

With all of that said...I am curious as to everyones thoughts on being in a group of like minded individuals versus going at it alone.

What advantages/disadvantages could you see either way?

Feel free to message me anything that you don't want to post.  Thanks in advance.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Preparedness Groups
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:36 AM »
Don't worry, in times of need the govt will take care of you.

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:17 AM »
We've gotten too used to our lives without having to think about that.  Back in the snowstorm of Oct. 1997 we were without electricity on the acreage for 8 days, having to haul water for livestock, going elsewhere for laundry and showers not to mention having additional buckets of water for flushing toilets and having 3 kids at home and a full time job.  It puts you in a really dark mood (no pun intended) We tend to get complacent, I know I am to a certain degree. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
 most dont advertise they are preppers,   all you would hear is," when **** happens im coming to your house"

have looked into several groups. to many focus only on weapons, cause thats the fun part .

and they are some pretty strange people in groups.   Id say start your own with friends who are serious.

Les.
    We've gotten too used to our lives without having to think about that.  Back in the snowstorm of Oct. 1997 we were without electricity on the acreage for 8 days, having to haul water for livestock, going elsewhere for laundry and showers not to mention having additional buckets of water for flushing toilets and having 3 kids at home and a full time job.  It puts you in a really dark mood (no pun intended) We tend to get complacent, I know I am to a certain degree.

i had power go out last winter,  for 3 days,   like you i live on a acreage, with own well.   but I have a generator.   Im also half way to a solar set up. have bought batteries for the bank, gonna get panels in a few months,  also have the inverter now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:36:37 AM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
most dont advertise they are preppers,   all you would hear is," when **** happens im coming to your house"

I've had this exact conversation with a coworker. People just make a mental note of who is preparing so they don't have to.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
My next-door neighbor is a very active, committed Mormon.

He does a great job of keeping me clued in on preparedness items, equipment, food, etc.

Suggestion:  Snuggle up to a Mormon.   They are Good Folks.  And their whole church system is deep into preparedness:  This World and The Next.  And you can Google all of their preparedness information that you want.   They don't mind at all.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
when i lived in Lincoln, I had friends tell me this exact thing.  "i'm coming to your house."  well, if you come, who is following you or coming along?  what resources will you provide me or will you be a detriment?  now that i live somewhere else, i have a better/easier evac route.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
I've had this exact conversation with a coworker. People just make a mental note of who is preparing so they don't have to.

the buy in for my place is 1 ton of food,   that will put most off,   well plus mabye 1,000 pounds of ammo , and the ability to work, and I mean Manual labor, lots of digging and stringing barbed wire,

and as a hint, a 55 gallon barrel ( Plastic ) will hold about 350 pounds of wheat, I pack it in Argon,
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:14:35 PM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:34 PM »
"I'm coming to your place when SHTF"...

I've heard that line enough at work that I quit talking about anything prepper related to most co workers.

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »
The problem is that the idea of preparedness has become associated with “end of the world” kookiness.  A few oddballs have given preparedness a bad name. They even have their own tacky, reality TV shows (reality TV being the modern equivalent of side show freaks.)

The site www.ready.gov has some good resource and preparedness tips from everything to everyday weather events, to nuclear explosions.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
My family, for the most part, is similarly unprepared.

You could (re)read the Union Creek Journal to see how various groups might play out.

Of course, having written that book, I often get the, "I'm coming to your place when the SHTF."  Like shooter, I have criteria for entrance - items of value and abilities to contribute. I don't limit the abilities to manual labor, however.

Another tip: If you come to my house in town, you probably won't find me.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
I told one co-worker that said "I'll be coming to your house": "Good, I'll probably be running low on food by then"   ;D

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
"I'm coming to your place when SHTF"...

I've heard that line enough at work that I quit talking about anything prepper related to most co workers.
Wise choice.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
I've made some preparations but like some of my friends have said: it'll make you a target by the "have-nots" boy.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
The question I like to ask preppers is "what, exactly, are you prepping for?".  There's a right and wrong answer to that question.  In the military, we called it the "postulated threat", the most likely thing that could happen to you that we would call "bad".  Then, you design your training, weapons, equipment, and procedures around that threat.  Sure, while a zombie apocalypse or alien invasion would be pretty bad, it's also not very likely, so why prep for that event?  A snowstorm in Nebraska, however, is very likely (at least it used to be), and could leave you isolated for an extended period of time.  Do you have enough food, water, power, provisions, etc. to survive until things get back to "normal"?  Are things prioritized?  How do you communicate with/get information from the outside world?
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.